USB 3.0 and External HDD Issue

ShinRa

Companion Cube
Reaction score
So whenever I connect my USB 3.0-able external into the USB 3.0 port on my motherboard, it gives the harddrive power. However, windows 7 does not detect the drive. If I plug it into a 2.0, it works fine. This goes for ALL my externals (I have 4.) I installed usb 3.0 drivers and everything. It even says when i plug it into the 2.0 "this device can perform faster on usb 3.0" so i put it in that port, it powers up the HD, but doesn't ever recognize it in windows. Any ideas?

Has the USB3.0 ever worked? It may be driver problem.

Is it possible that the ports are damaged?

I don't think theyre damaged. It's a brand new board and whenever I plug anything into it that particular device turns on and has power. I tried reinstalling the 3.0 drivers but still nothing :|

Try checking in Device Manager if the devices show up with any errors against them. Not sure how it works but maybe Windows installed general 2.0 drivers which it tries to use when you plug the drives in? Perhaps you could try uninstalling them and letting Windows install generic drivers when first plugged into the 3.0 port.

I have a flash drive that does the same thing. Can you plug in a USB 2 device in the port and does it work (you didn't mention if all your externals were USB 3 or not)? In my case, the middle pin on my flash drive got slightly bent (doesn't take much, could have happened the very first time you plug it in) and now it only works in USB 2 ports. If you're using the same cable for all your externals, then that could be your problem.

Otherwise its probably a damaged port, or bad controller.

Try checking in Device Manager if the devices show up with any errors against them. Not sure how it works but maybe Windows installed general 2.0 drivers which it tries to use when you plug the drives in? Perhaps you could try uninstalling them and letting Windows install generic drivers when first plugged into the 3.0 port.
I've never seen windows have generic drives for USB 3 devices. I always have to pull them from the website or use my collection of drivers.

This worked! Thank you! I uninstalled the 3.0 drivers that came with my motherboard cd and let windows install its own, it picked up the drive instantly! Thank you!

This worked! Thank you! I uninstalled the 3.0 drivers that came with my motherboard cd and let windows install its own, it picked up the drive instantly! Thank you!

Awesome, glad it worked!

Back