Valve acquire Turtle-Rock

Evo

Tank
Reaction score
In a move which shouldn't really surprise many, Valve have acquired Turtle-Rock Studios, the development studio behind one of 2008's most wanted games, Left 4 Dead. The two companies have worked closely for many years and is a move welcomed by both parties.[br]
"We have been seeing very strong growth with Steam and Source, our content distribution and development platforms, up over 150% over the last 12 months. Given our expectations for Left 4 Dead and our long-standing relationships with members of the Turtle Rock team, this was an easy decision. It also gives us a base from which to expand our development activities in the Los Angeles area," said Gabe Newell, president of Valve.[br] "Left 4 Dead fills a long-standing demand gamers have had for a coop first-person action experience, and it will also help Valve's expansion into the console market," added Doug Lombardi, Valve's VP of marketing.[br]"Valve has had great success bringing in projects and teams such as Team Fortress and Portal. As I spent time working and talking with the creators of those products over the past several years, it became clear that this was the right next step for myself, my colleagues at Turtle Rock, our customers, and our products," said Michael Booth, founder and CEO of Turtle Rock Studios. "We are excited to be a part of such a visionary and forward-thinking company."
More information can be found here.

valverocker9.jpg

Haha, excellent. Not remotely surprising.

Not surprised. Heck i'm surprised it took so long.

Gonna happen sooner or later. :-p This could either hurt or speed up the release of L4D. It could slow them down by moving to the new studio. But, they have a new studio so they could make the game faster. They also have more funding and extra help now from Valve.

They're staying in California, they're not moving up to Seattle.

Oh, so the studio which basically made whatever Valve told them to make is joining Valve. How surprising.

Well, this just binds the AI talents of the L4D team to Valve even tighter.

Saw this coming surprised it took this long. Good move tho.

Sounds like good but not so surprising news. Maybe now people will stop saying that (incorrectly) L4D is just a turtle rock game and not related to Valve...

What the hell?

Edit: Hey Garry Newman, what's up?

They do have a new studio.
TRS has always been in Irvine, CA.

I think this has been planned for quite some time. When I went to TRS, there were already a few Valve'ies there.

I am suprised. I simply didn't expect Valve to be buying anyone.

They made CS-CZ and much of CSS maps. I am not too suprised.

Honestly didn't have this running through my mind for some reason, so I actually wasn't expecting something like this. A smart and positive move none the less.

I wonder if this means that L4D will be delayed in a greater Valve fashion than before? :p

TRS has always been in Irvine, CA.

I think this has been planned for quite some time. When I went to TRS, there were already a few Valve'ies there.

I think in a couple of old interviews they always mentioned this desire, but the issue was always that TR didn't want to move up to Seattle (understandably). Valves getting pretty big these days so I guess they figured why not go with the satellite office approach. You can do pretty good video conferencing these days with bandwidth being what it is, but satellite offices are never an ideal scenario (we run a couple). Anyhows I'm sure it's all for the good.

Good move, judging from CSS maps, Turtle-Rock is full of very talented people.

I very much expected this. For some reason, this thought of turtle rock and valve merging was in my head 2 days ago..

Wait. Does this put the Left 4 Dead release on Valve time?

Valve acquires Turtle-Rock
<hr size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --> In a move which shouldn't really surprise many, Valve has acquired Turtle-Rock Studios, ...

I know I am a pain, I can't help it ;)

Back