Valve Announces Source 2 + Steam Link [GDC 2015]

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
As part of a press release distributed just moments ago, Valve have officially announced Source 2, the company's next generation video game engine. According to the press release, the engine, like its predecessor, will be free to use for content developers, helping to continue the PC's "dominance as the premiere content authoring platform" thanks to recent announcements regarding Unreal Engine 4 and Unity 5. As expected, Source 2 will focus on increasing creator productivity and user generated content by making it easier than ever. No release date has currently been announced.

Source_engine_logo_orange.png

As we speculated, a Vulkan-compatible version of Source 2 will be made available, supporting the next generation of OpenGL technology, currently set to be discussed in more detail during a GDC talk on Thursday, March 5th 2015. Unfortunately, that's all the information Valve currently has to share regarding Source 2, but the extremely long press release discusses a number of other topics Valve is showing off at GDC this week.

These include the reveal of Steam Link, a small device which will allow PCs, Macs, and Linux PCs to stream any or all of their Steam-related content across the same local network at 1080p 60hz with low latency. Steam Link will reportedly be made available this November for $49.99, and for $100 with a bundled Steam Controller in the United States, with more regions set to be announced closer to launch.

ss_1fb6714060f1100ba1dc77a99f5059448ef98f86.jpg ss_2e08ad10fcaba2b582813f19a3da920f4997c1d1.jpg ss_3d5298eceb6bee71b60ded4bbb1b177c0198bd37.jpg

Another new technology has also been announced. Codenamed "Lighthouse", the software appears to function as the room scale tracking component of SteamVR, allowing a virtual reality headset such as the HTC Vive to track the player's movements in real time. Lighthouse can reportedly be incorporated into TVs, monitors, headsets, and other input devices.

The press release also discusses numerous already-announced projects, including Steam Machines, which will be shown off by Alienware and Falcon Northwest tomorrow before being released alongside Steam Link and the Steam Controller in November 2015. The Falcon Northwest Steam Machine being demonstrated is reportedly powerful enough to run the newly announced Unreal Tournament on a 4K monitor or at 1080p while maintaining a steady 120FPS, seemingly making it quite the beefy machine. Starting tomorrow, Valve and their partners will begin demonstrating the HTC Vive and various virtual reality software from the likes of Bossa Studios, Cloudhead Games, Dovetail Games, Google, Owlchemylabs, and many, many more.

If you're looking for a little bit more information, take a look at the official press release below. We'll be sure to bring you more from Valve in the near future as we learn more from GDC 2015.

VALVE ANNOUNCES LINK, SOURCE 2, STEAMVR, AND MORE AT GDC

Products and Technologies to Continue PC Gaming Momentum

March 3, 2015 - Valve announces a number of product and technologies at this week's Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco.

"We continue to see very strong growth in PC Gaming, with Steam growing 50% in the last 12 months," said Gabe Newell, Valve's president. "With these announcements we hope that we are helping build on that momentum."

Steam Machines, Windows PCs, Macs, and Linux PCs will be able to take advantage of a new product announced at GDC called Steam Link. Designed to extend your Steam experience to any room in the house, Steam Link allows you to stream all your Steam content from any PC or Steam Machine on the same home network. Supporting 1080p at 60Hz with low latency, Steam Link will be available this November for $49.99, and available with a Steam Controller for an additional $49.99 in the US (worldwide pricing to be released closer to launch).

Steam Machines from partners Alienware and Falcon Northwest are being shown, with Machines from a dozen other partners slated to release this November. Steam Machines will start at the same price point as game consoles, with higher performance. Customers interested in the best possible gaming experience can choose whichever components meet their needs. Epic will give a demonstration of the newly announced Unreal Tournament running on a 4K monitor driven by the Falcon Northwest Steam Machine. "We love this platform," said Tim Sweeney, founder of Epic Games. "Whether you're running incredibly detailed scenes at 4K or running 1080p at 120 FPS for an intense shooter experience, this brings world-class gaming and graphics to televisions with an open platform true to Valve's PC gaming roots."

Valve will show a virtual reality (VR) headset. Developer versions of the headset will be available this spring, and partner HTC will ship their Vive headset to consumers by the end of the year.

Two new technologies are part of the VR release - a room scale tracking system codenamed Lighthouse, and a VR input system. "In order to have a high quality VR experience, you need high resolution, high speed tracking," said Valve's Alan Yates. "Lighthouse gives us the ability to do this for an arbitrary number of targets at a low enough BOM cost that it can be incorporated into TVs, monitors, headsets, input devices, or mobile devices." Valve intends to make Lighthouse freely available to any hardware manufacturers interested in the technology.

"Now that we have Lighthouse, we have an important piece of the puzzle for tackling VR input devices," said Valve's Joe Ludwig. "The work on the Steam Controller gave us the base to build upon, so now we have touch and motion as integrated parts of the PC gaming experience."

"We've been working in VR for years and it was only until we used SteamVR's controllers and experienced the magic of absolute tracking that we were able to make the VR game we always wanted to make," said Alex Schwartz of Owlchemylabs.

VR demos being shown at GDC include work from Bossa Studios, Cloudhead Games, Dovetail Games, Fireproof Studios, Google, Owlchemylabs, Skillman & Hackett, Steel Wool Games, Vertigo Games, and Wevr.

Valve announced the Source 2 engine, the successor to the Source engine used in Valve's games since the launch of Counter-Strike: Source and Half-Life 2. "The value of a platform like the PC is how much it increases the productivity of those who use the platform. With Source 2, our focus is increasing creator productivity. Given how important user generated content is becoming, Source 2 is designed not for just the professional developer, but enabling gamers themselves to participate in the creation and development of their favorite games," said Valve's Jay Stelly. "We will be making Source 2 available for free to content developers. This combined with recent announcements by Epic and Unity will help continue the PCs dominance as the premiere content authoring platform."

Also as part of supporting PC gaming, Valve announced that it will be releasing a Vulkan-compatible version of the Source 2 engine. Vulkan is a cross-platform, cross-vendor 3D graphics API that allows game developers to get the most out of the latest graphics hardware, and ensures hardware developers that there is a consistent, low overhead method of taking advantage of products. Vulkan, previously called Next Generation OpenGL, is administered by the Khronos Group, along with other standards such as OpenCL, OpenGL, and WebGL.

GDC 2015 will mark the 13th anniversary of Valve's first public announcement of Steam, which has since become the leading platform for PC, Mac, and Linux games and software. In the last year, Steam realized the addition of many new services and features - including In-Home Streaming, Broadcasting, Music, and user-created stores - as it grew to over 125 million active accounts worldwide.

For more information, please visit www.steampowered.com/universe

Last edited:
Here's the full press release for anyone wondering.

VALVE ANNOUNCES LINK, SOURCE 2, STEAMVR, AND MORE AT GDC

Products and Technologies to Continue PC Gaming Momentum

March 3, 2015 - Valve announces a number of product and technologies at this week's Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco.

"We continue to see very strong growth in PC Gaming, with Steam growing 50% in the last 12 months," said Gabe Newell, Valve's president. "With these announcements we hope that we are helping build on that momentum."

Steam Machines, Windows PCs, Macs, and Linux PCs will be able to take advantage of a new product announced at GDC called Steam Link. Designed to extend your Steam experience to any room in the house, Steam Link allows you to stream all your Steam content from any PC or Steam Machine on the same home network. Supporting 1080p at 60Hz with low latency, Steam Link will be available this November for $49.99, and available with a Steam Controller for an additional $49.99 in the US (worldwide pricing to be released closer to launch).

Steam Machines from partners Alienware and Falcon Northwest are being shown, with Machines from a dozen other partners slated to release this November. Steam Machines will start at the same price point as game consoles, with higher performance. Customers interested in the best possible gaming experience can choose whichever components meet their needs. Epic will give a demonstration of the newly announced Unreal Tournament running on a 4K monitor driven by the Falcon Northwest Steam Machine. "We love this platform," said Tim Sweeney, founder of Epic Games. "Whether you're running incredibly detailed scenes at 4K or running 1080p at 120 FPS for an intense shooter experience, this brings world-class gaming and graphics to televisions with an open platform true to Valve's PC gaming roots."

Valve will show a virtual reality (VR) headset. Developer versions of the headset will be available this spring, and partner HTC will ship their Vive headset to consumers by the end of the year.

Two new technologies are part of the VR release - a room scale tracking system codenamed Lighthouse, and a VR input system. "In order to have a high quality VR experience, you need high resolution, high speed tracking," said Valve's Alan Yates. "Lighthouse gives us the ability to do this for an arbitrary number of targets at a low enough BOM cost that it can be incorporated into TVs, monitors, headsets, input devices, or mobile devices." Valve intends to make Lighthouse freely available to any hardware manufacturers interested in the technology.

"Now that we have Lighthouse, we have an important piece of the puzzle for tackling VR input devices," said Valve's Joe Ludwig. "The work on the Steam Controller gave us the base to build upon, so now we have touch and motion as integrated parts of the PC gaming experience."

"We've been working in VR for years and it was only until we used SteamVR's controllers and experienced the magic of absolute tracking that we were able to make the VR game we always wanted to make," said Alex Schwartz of Owlchemylabs.

VR demos being shown at GDC include work from Bossa Studios, Cloudhead Games, Dovetail Games, Fireproof Studios, Google, Owlchemylabs, Skillman & Hackett, Steel Wool Games, Vertigo Games, and Wevr.

Valve announced the Source 2 engine, the successor to the Source engine used in Valve's games since the launch of Counter-Strike: Source and Half-Life 2. "The value of a platform like the PC is how much it increases the productivity of those who use the platform. With Source 2, our focus is increasing creator productivity. Given how important user generated content is becoming, Source 2 is designed not for just the professional developer, but enabling gamers themselves to participate in the creation and development of their favorite games," said Valve's Jay Stelly. "We will be making Source 2 available for free to content developers. This combined with recent announcements by Epic and Unity will help continue the PCs dominance as the premiere content authoring platform."

Also as part of supporting PC gaming, Valve announced that it will be releasing a Vulkan-compatible version of the Source 2 engine. Vulkan is a cross-platform, cross-vendor 3D graphics API that allows game developers to get the most out of the latest graphics hardware, and ensures hardware developers that there is a consistent, low overhead method of taking advantage of products. Vulkan, previously called Next Generation OpenGL, is administered by the Khronos Group, along with other standards such as OpenCL, OpenGL, and WebGL.

GDC 2015 will mark the 13th anniversary of Valve's first public announcement of Steam, which has since become the leading platform for PC, Mac, and Linux games and software. In the last year, Steam realized the addition of many new services and features - including In-Home Streaming, Broadcasting, Music, and user-created stores - as it grew to over 125 million active accounts worldwide.

For more information, please visit www.steampowered.com/universe

I knew we'd hear about Source 2 at GDC, but I still got chills when I read about the announcement.
Feels a bit like a "no shit" kind of deal though.

We've known about Source 2 for years, we knew it would be free given Valve's previous engines, and we've known it'll support Linux and the future of OpenGL.

Still, nice to hear Valve finally mention the name again given it's been years since Gabe confirmed it himself.

We have an insider! Tell us more!
Look, we found Gordon's voice actor!

Confirmations are nice I guess. Show me the in-game Source 2 reality.
Sorry if that sounds callous, it's a good day for Valve and everyone.
*shakes fist at Lombardi*

Dota 2 Workshop Tools braaah. Go experience the laggy, buggy, incompatible mess it is! :p

I think this Source 2 announcement is in anticipation for tomorrow and Thursday. They're probably going to show some of it publicly somewhere at GDC.

We've known about Source 2 for years, we knew it would be free given Valve's previous engines, and we've known it'll support Linux and the future of OpenGL.

Yes, but the thing is, the fact that they've actually officially announced it now means that the engine is ready or at least very close to completion, which is very exciting indeed.

Does this mean that there will be an android version of Source 2?

Since there is a version of HL2 and Portal on the Nvidia shield?

Does this mean that there will be an android version of Source 2?

Since there is a version of HL2 and Portal on the Nvidia shield?
We don't know anything for sure yet, but given that there will be a Vulkan version of Source 2, and Vulkan is promised to run on any device and operating system, you could theoretically develop for Android with Source 2. God knows how well it would run on mobile devices without heavy modifications though.

We don't know anything for sure yet, but given that there will be a Vulkan version of Source 2, and Vulkan is promised to run on any device and operating system, you could theoretically develop for Android with Source 2. God knows how well it would run on mobile devices without heavy modifications though.

Thanks for the reply. I was unaware that Vulcan was going to run on mobile devices.

The reason why I am asking this is that Nvidia has just barely entered the console race as an Android TV device.

You can find out more here.

I'm excited that they finally came out with an actaual announcement of source2, must mean that some new games must be coming out soon.
I'm also excited about the link, which will provide exactly what I need, since I already have a great gaming desktop.

Hmmm, dare I get my hopes up that they may announce HL3 at E3?

the link to "Steam Link" doesnt work? Its because I live in germany I guess, right? I hope the release of the Steam Controller wont be too far away from november for Europe :S

"a small device which will allow PCs, Macs, and Linux PCs to stream any or all of their Steam-related content to any other PC or Steam Machine"
This means you still need 2 PCs? When I heard Steam Link I thought its a small device which you plug into your TV and can stream with good performance, but If I still need 2 PCs I dont understand why I should buy Steam Link when it only makes streaming performance a little better (which is fine for me anyway)

"powerful enough to run the newly announced Unreal Tournament on a 4K monitor or at 1080p while maintaining a steady 120FPS"
Useless information. I didnt played the new UT yet, but I dont expect it to have that big system requirements since its just one small map and still has ugly animations and weapon models, only good textures and lighting, so running it at a high frame rate shouldnt be a problem. And how good the steam machine is running doesnt matter anyway, the price is more important. I can make a steam machine myself which can do the same thing but it will cost me 1000€ maybe.

EDIT: I just read the announcement page and I was right actually. You dont need 2 PCs for Steam Link, but the way you explained it in your news was a little bit confusing, but maybe thats just me.

Last edited:
Should be able to what with the HDMI output jack.

Hmmm, dare I get my hopes up that they may announce HL3 at E3?

I wouldn't count on specifically HL3, but one thing is sure:
Today, 4/3, their "Advanced VR" session takes place, 5/3 is their glNext presentation and the new thing won't be the announcement of "Source 2", because it isn't new anymore :). My guess is they will show at least Source 2 graphics content. I would bet on that.
As I wrote before; leading the glNext presentation with two party members would be nonsense if they wouldn't show any own new content.

Should be able to what with the HDMI output jack.

The original press text is clear enough imo:
"Designed to extend your Steam experience to any room in the house, Steam Link allows you to stream all your Steam content from any PC or Steam Machine on the same home network."

They wrote "from any PC or Steam Machine" without naming potential receivers, which I also see as "any device with an HDMI port" can receive the streamed content, logically TVs, flat panels, notebook etc.

The store page was removed.

It doesn't say anything about streaming to televisions. Which is surprising. That's what I need.
it says stream to any room in your house and it has HDMI. Otherwise its the most useless device. I mean the way I understand it is that Steam Link is like a mini steam machine only for streaming and if thats true, thats fantastic actually. And only for 50$ (so probably 50€ in germany). That sounds too good to be true though xD (like those raspberry pi thingys)
Also 50$ for Steam Controller is also really good, considering the Xbox One Controller is also 50$ and thats the best one on the market right now.

it says stream to any room in your house and it has HDMI. Otherwise its the most useless device. I mean the way I understand it is that Steam Link is like a mini steam machine only for streaming and if thats true, thats fantastic actually.
I'm certain that it's a streaming receiver, so that you won't have to plug in another pc to be able to stream to your TV. Sort of how Apple does with their AppleTV, and you being able to use your TV as a second monitor.

The **** did the raspberry pi do to you? Those things are absolutely amazing.

I like how Valve just undercut all other PC to TV streaming products out there. I was pricing some a few months ago and this is much cheaper and designed for streaming games.

Steam-Controller articles seem to be much harder to find. I only found two, on Engadget and Polygon. Which both end in saying, much more time is needed to evaluate the Controller in a proper way than 10 or so minutes.

I really do hope Valve hands out some Controllers just for really using it over a longer period of time like several days. e.g. the Engadget author tried it only 10 mins and wrote about not getting used to the new 4 buttons position on the right - what did he expect?!? To get used to a significantly never before Controller layout in only 10 mins!?!

Steam-Controller articles seem to be much harder to find. I only found two, on Engadget and Polygon. Which both end in saying, much more time is needed to evaluate the Controller in a proper way than 10 or so minutes.

I really do hope Valve hands out some Controllers just for really using it over a longer period of time like several days. e.g. the Engadget author tried it only 10 mins and wrote about not getting used to the new 4 buttons position on the right - what did he expect?!? To get used to a significantly never before Controller layout in only 10 mins!?!
Check our Twitter feed! Kotaku also posted a short article talking about the controller and its layout. It even features a short video.

now I can finally sperg out over my favorite MOBAs with improved graphics AND virtual reality, I can't wait to feel like I'm really in the realm of no fun allowed

sad to hear Valve didn't announce the acquisition of anyone else's games tho, was looking forward to maybe hearing about their super original improved and copyrighted totally made in house version of Evolve after striking a deal with Turtle Rock, then maybe it wouldn't have bombed so horribly

Turtle Rock is probably going to die off soon, following Sega

That being said, the in-no-way confirmation of any actual game demo (I'm not bitter, I just don't agree with Lombardi) looks pretty damn good.

That being said, the in-no-way confirmation of any actual game demo (I'm not bitter, I just don't agree with Lombardi) looks pretty damn good.

One thing that popped out to me right away was the lighting. It seemed a lot more sharp and detailed then anything that could be managed on Source 1, and despite being a recording of a video on a projector, the amount of detail on all the little moving parts on Atlas blew my mind.

It'll be interesting to see how Source 2 looks and if it will still be as modular and freely available as Source. I wouldn't think Valve would drop support of releasing an SDK, but it has been a running trend lately, with the exception of UE4. The appeal of Half-Life 2 and Source was how much shit you could do with it and make it less boring and into something completely new.

also for the love of f*Ck please tell me they are not serious about their Steam controller design, because that is the biggest piece of garbage

Back