Valve Announces Source 2 + Steam Link [GDC 2015]

also for the love of f*Ck please tell me they are not serious about their Steam controller design, because that is the biggest piece of garbage
Have you tested it? No? Then shut up. It might not be the prettiest controller, but I believe it will comfortable and it will do its job better than normal controller, because Valve.

Oh lordie. You still got it, bananaman. XD

^^good find. So they've already shown own content with Source 2.
Guess now the remaining attention is on the Vulkan presentation starting in five hours. Let's see if they show they same material or something new.

also interesting, the "PC gaming is expanding" site says:
"stay tuned for more information this week about a new family of products designed to bring the best games and user-generated content to exciting new destinations" I guess they'll list all the unveiled hardware on that sub-site.

they better package that portal demo with the vive or I'm going to be really dissapointed

tumblr_nkqwgo8z0v1tcjyvzo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nkqwgo8z0v1tcjyvzo1_1280.jpg

steam universe page is finally up. Nothing about Source 2 though :(

Also i was just replaying Half-Life and thought of the greatest thing ever valve could do as a horror VR demo. Going into the shark tank for the Ichthyosaur at Black Mesa

I'm really hyped on the Source 2 engine, especially after seeing the demo. Makes me wonder how good Valve's current games will look on Source 2.

Last edited:
I'm really hyped on the Source 2 engine, especially after seeing the demo. Makes me woner how good Valve's current games will look on Source 2.
Not much better, that's not really how things work. Unless Valve decides to upgrade the game's assets (models, textures, sound effects, etc) you won't see any REAL difference aside from maybe better lighting and smoother, more realistic shadows. There's a reason Dota 2 looks practically identical on both Source 1 and 2, and it's because the assets used are exactly the same. Another good example of Half-Life and Half-Life: Source, which is exactly what happened the last time Valve brought an older game to a newer engine. It looks mostly identical, with one or two noticeable differences (shadows and water effects) but is mostly the same, if not a little broken due to map scripting or whatever being broken during the porting process. I'm not saying Valve would be as lazy as to fall for the same mistake again (it could happen), but you shouldn't expect any serious, noticeable differences as far as already released games go.

It's possible games that are still in active development (Dota 2, CS:GO, and TF2 to some degree) may allow content creators to develop higher quality cosmetics or weapons than is currently permitted, as there's a pretty serious cap on what is possible for workshop users to create for Dota 2, which could definitely be upgraded with a more efficient engine. Time will tell.

It's pretty incredible that in the demo, they were playing Dota 2 on high on some shitty integrated GPU on a motherboard. So Source 2 runs much better too because it can be 64-bit and use a lot more RAM and take advantage of 4 cores. So that's definitely awesome to hear. Can't wait to see what it can look like.

Function over form is the best thing you can have :)
Have you tested it? No? Then shut up. It might not be the prettiest controller, but I believe it will comfortable and it will do its job better than normal controller, because Valve.
This is it. This is what I'm getting at. It looks like a PSP control scheme fused with a 360 controller and that is a recipe for being an abomination with the function of a brick taped to my asshole, sealing it shut. They're the ones producing it, so I wouldn't know how it handles, you're correct on that, but it doesn't mean I can't speculate on whether it will be garbage or not. Valve can very well f*ck up and make the worst controller in history, it isn't impossible by far, or it could be one of the most functional and useful ones on the market and actually change how controllers are made, and I hope they do some really good shit with hardware in the coming years. I'd like to see some innovation and Valve are capable of that.

Until I get my hands on one, though, I'm going to be very, very wary of it, just as I have been with anything relating to them for years now since the veneer of tinted rose for Valve left my eyes.

also don't ever tell me to shut up again or I will break into your house and lick your anus clean you shit

It's possible games that are still in active development (Dota 2, CS:GO, and TF2 to some degree) may allow content creators to develop higher quality cosmetics or weapons than is currently permitted, as there's a pretty serious cap on what is possible for workshop users to create for Dota 2, which could definitely be upgraded with a more efficient engine. Time will tell.
this could be cool as hell, even if it is minor, I just want to see the technology working in Source 2 at the moment

Last edited:
Not much better, that's not really how things work. Unless Valve decides to upgrade the game's assets (models, textures, sound effects, etc) you won't see any REAL difference aside from maybe better lighting and smoother, more realistic shadows. There's a reason Dota 2 looks practically identical on both Source 1 and 2, and it's because the assets used are exactly the same. Another good example of Half-Life and Half-Life: Source, which is exactly what happened the last time Valve brought an older game to a newer engine. It looks mostly identical, with one or two noticeable differences (shadows and water effects) but is mostly the same, if not a little broken due to map scripting or whatever being broken during the porting process. I'm not saying Valve would be as lazy as to fall for the same mistake again (it could happen), but you shouldn't expect any serious, noticeable differences as far as already released games go.

with the port we will probably also get more frequent updates and crazier game modes

On the Universe store page: http://store.steampowered.com/universe/

This November, we're bringing everything that makes the PC great—the best games, the biggest communities, and the most exciting technologies—to new destinations.

So Valve is saying that a November release for a new "Orange box" is imminent? Three words as well, Half-Life 3 conf...

The Orange Butt 2: featuring Dota2 with every hat and costume, Left 4 Dudes Dead In My Basement 3 and ****er-Strike: Zombie Nazi Ghost Piss 6: Source 2: Globally Offended Trilogy

Since the announcement, I've been hearing some arguments that tie into each other:
Source 2 won't make any waves until they actually show off some new demos or release a... certain game.
Valve employees aren't sharing as much information as they should about the engine.

The best counterargument in most cases is "patience", but the thing is that they've already been sharing enough to justify the hype. At GDC alone, they showed off some creep combat simulation in a Vulkan build of Dota 2, as well as an Aperture demo for Vive.

Those demos might not be new games Valve might be developing, nor are they pushing the limits of vast spaces or photorealistic rendering, but they crucially show how smoothly Source 2 can run with hundreds of NPCs, and how well it can handle thousands of moving parts and diagrams in 3D space. In real-time. At high resolutions. For each eye. On integrated graphics.

Just imagine having these capabilities being introduced at E3 2003, just over a decade ago. The technology was only half as powerful as it is today, but if that Valve knew about what they'd be able to do in ten years, perhaps Abrash would've been hunting even more test subjects. And if they knew they could release the entire engine and all its tools for free, not even id Software would make it out alive.

And there's the bigger point to take home. While the one piece of speculation still unsolved is whether or not developers can freely tap into the very essence of the engine, it's clear that developers are no longer restricted to either making a free mod or investing tens of thousands of dollars to make a modest return.

And this just about Source 2, something Valve hasn't been championing as openly as anything with Steam.
Will this run on my 486?

And there's the bigger point to take home. While the one piece of speculation still unsolved is whether or not developers can freely tap into the very essence of the engine, it's clear that developers are no longer restricted to either making a free mod or investing tens of thousands of dollars to make a modest return.
¨
This is indeed the most important aspect of Source 2. Valves succes has largely come from the community, and they wan't to expand it and atrract independent developers. Quite a smart move.

Kudos for your 2003 E3 reference too.

You know besides recreating the shark tank from Half-Life on source 2 in VR, I'd really love to see them try and do even a simple version of Ricochet in source 2 for VR. That would be the greatest tron like experience of all time...

Back