Valve Have '3 Big Surprises'

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
From the recent PC Gamer interview with Valve, Gabe Newell has said there are at least 3 big surprises in store from Valve in the next 12 months. Gabe said
"I can guarantee you people are going to be surprised at stuff we do. That isn't going to stop any time soon. I'm just laughing because... people will be shocked again.[br]We have three pretty big surprises in the next 12 months at least."
Valve has grown a lot in size over the past couple of years enabling them to work on several fronts at the same time. It is very possible Valve will have further PS3 titles to announce but I think we all hope for news on another title they should be working on. We hope.[br]Source: PC Gamer interview via CVG

DOTA anyone?

A Valve-engineered fantasy FPS? Yes please.

1-l4d episode 1
2-counter strike condition zero source
3-alien swarn paid version

From the recent PC Gamer interview with Valve, Gabe Newell has said there are at least 3 big surprises in store from Valve in the next 12 months. Gabe said
"I can guarantee you people are going to be surprised at stuff we do. That isn't going to stop any time soon. I'm just laughing because... people will be shocked again.[br]We have three pretty big surprises in the next 12 months at least."
Valve has grown a lot in size over the past couple of years enabling them to work on several fronts at the same time. It is very possible Valve will have further PS3 titles to announce but I think we all hope for news on another title they should be working on. We hope.[br]Source: PC Gamer interview via CVG

The only reason I doubt its episode 3 /hl3 is that he said people will be "shocked" by its announcement. Shocked isnt the word I'd use to describe it.

It would be, if they announce it right away for sale. No delay, pay and slay.

Wouldn't one be Portal 2, or is that not a suprise anymore?

It'll never happen, but i'd sell my left nut for a class/objective based multiplayer game set in the HL universe.

Can't Really see Portal, DotA, Episode 3, HL3 or CS2 as surprises, well maybe CS2, but the others are pretty much "expected" we just don't know when.

The surprises doesn't have to be games anyway, personally i've been hoping for music/tv/movies to be included in steam at some point.

i'm not even gonna try to guess...i've never been good at it like Pi or Glenn. so imma just sit back, eat my cheetos...and see.

Do you really want another Counter-Strike? The hardcore audience hate the slightest change to their beloved game, people are constantly bitching about how valve "ruined" the franchise with CSS, anything they could do with a sequal would just piss everyone off, the community is impossible to please.

I actually liked the recent update tbh, and I have played quite alot of it.

But I wouldn't mind a new one.

If that's how the hardcore CS crowd will react, then go for it. Otherwise, they'll end up like the tiny number of bitter and twisted nobs still clinging on to TFC.

Besides, pro-CS is dead and gone: give a new version a chance.

Here's hoping that the surprise is the return of Adrian Shepherd :cheese:

The next 2 big things that we know coming from valve are the TF2 trading/comm items update and the l4d1/2 "the sacrifice" + "no mercy" + mac release of L4d2 (maybe 1 as well).
I'm guaranteeing that at least one of the surprises will be an underwhelming PS3/Mac announcement :(

I wouldn't be suprised if it was HL3. The first one was announced in what? 1996? HL2 was announced in 2003. Given that next year it will be 7 years since hl2 was announced that seems to make sense.

Hmm I still remember that last big suprise, Portal 2 for PS3...

Anyway my guesses would be:
A DOTA game since they hired that guy.
Source Engine 2
HL3

Well MMO game based in HL universe , that will be a surprise ... otherwise I can't see how will Valve surprise us after all the waiting ... we will see .

It's that fairy game that they've been working on, I'm sure.

Well MMO game based in HL universe , that will be a surprise ... otherwise I can't see how will Valve surprise us after all the waiting ... we will see .

oh jesus christ no. Games like TF2 flourish because...well they're excellent and also there are so many people who hate the world of warcraft grind (yes i know hats are a grind too but...)

Not really a surprise if they've already announced it.

It was a surprise last time they had a surprise, well after announcing it.

MY GUESS
L4D3
L4D4
L4D5

amirite?!??!

The only reason I doubt its episode 3 /hl3 is that he said people will be "shocked" by its announcement. Shocked isnt the word I'd use to describe it.
But if the 3 surprises are:
  1. ep3 gameplay video
  2. ep3 release date
  3. ep3 actually released
AND it all happens within the next 12 months, that would be really shocking!

One of the surprises is that none of the surprises are Episode 3.

Surprise #1: Eli Vance is alive.
Surprise #2: Vortigaunt unzips suit, Rick Astley climbs out.
Surprise #3: Duke Nukem Forever.

1. Halflife 2: Episode 2: Episode 1
2. L4D2: Episode 2
3. Episode 3: Halflife 2: Episode 1

I'm thinking the DOTA-ish project w/ Icefrog will be one, for certain. Perhaps something with Minecraft. And then possibly Episode 3. Who knows though.

I would not be surprised if none of the surprises are episode 3, but that wouldn't be very surprising, would it?

The Black Box: Portal 2, DOTA Project and Episode 3

/wishful thinking

Back