Valve is boring and I don't care about them anymore

Well, that's the difference between actually not caring, and just wanting everyone to know you're not caring. I'm not caring, guys, look! LOOK AT ALL THE CARING I'M NOT DOING HERE!

Actually, I'm not the only person that have are anti-preorder culture. TotalBiscuit, Boogie and a few others have been trying to warn customers to stop pre-ordering.

Pre-ordering is the cancer of AAA industry, which is why it is in the state it is in. Look at Ubisoft, EA and the lackluster consoles (sans Wii U).

zzzzz

I can sympathize with the OP. I often feel really cynical about Valve as well for a variety of reasons. I see Valve like I see any corporation, really... a pile of money that wants to be a bigger pile of money.

HOWEVER, I do care about what they do because they have such a great influence in the gaming industry and that they also have made great games. I can only hope they continue to make great games.... well, one in particular. LOL

yeah CD Project is very consumer friendly. We saw it just weeks ago with their awesome PR stuff with Witcher 3 how they didnt say anything about the downgrade EVEN DENIED IT and just confirmed it after release when everyone purchased the game already. And all that even when the downgrade was obvious as shit (game still looks great, but that makes it even more ridiculous). They know what their reputation is, or was, and abused it for marketing.

The reason you are bored of Valve or whatever it is you are is because unlike any other developer, Valve does not create unnessesary hype. Today many publishers announce their game like 3 years before release or something (Ubisoft) and then stuff like downgrades happen later. Gabe Newell said often enough that they will talk about Half-Life 3 when they are ready to talk about Half-Life 3. I agree that its weird that they dont even just say "yeah we are working on HL3, now shut the **** up pls and let us do our job".

Valve decided that they want to innovate things and push the industry, Bethesda just makes game and thats probably what you want. I agree that Bethesda is great these days (They brought ****ing Wolfenstein and Doom back), but thats an unfair comparison I think.

Oh one more thing. If they try paid mods again they obviously will have a more fair solution for everyone, otherwise there will be a shitstorm again. And supporting modders is a great thing in my book.

I see Valve like I see any corporation, really
Valve is a company? Wow, I always thought they are charity...

Last edited:
Confirmed to have not played the game. Most of graphical changes was having more prebaked lighting, which reminds me.... HL2 had it even worse. Remember all that cut content? Remember the AI not being as good as the e3 demos? Rember the lighting effects emitting from guns?

Let's also not compare the two companies, at least CDPR has a track record of being a company that supports their products several years after release. I vaguely remember Valve not giving a rats ass about the Orange Box updates and left it up to modders to fix.

Last edited:
okaaay. From all the comparison videos I saw they also changed view distance and vegetation is less and there are less details like cracks on the walls and such. At the end of the day its CD Projects fault that these discussions are there. They had more than enough time to talk about the graphics before release. Also they could wait with the announcement of the game but they need to create hype right??

Let's also not compare the two companies
you started lol

supports their products several years after release.
yeah just ignore the free content for Portal 2 (Peer review DLC and perpetual testing iniative) and also ignore the free stuff for Left4Dead2 and CSGO (csgo got free support long before they introduced skins and operation).

Comparison videos don't tell the whole story, for one time of day makes a difference in lighting and YT has this awful compression problem.

Funny you mention Portal 2, because I recall that Valve literally gave up after the Bot Enrichment center turned out to be a gigantic failure.

What are you trying to do? CD Project confirmed themselves that there was a downgrade. And there isnt suddenly more vegetation at other times and more details on the walls. Besides the problem is not that there was a downgrade, its the communication and PR of CD Project.

And you can criticise Valve as much as you want, everyone already knows their mistakes, Im not riding their dicks as you do with CD Project. I just want a fair and true view from everyone on everything.

Now where did I say I buy into the hype of games? You seem to lack reading comprehension, now who's the moron?
Petal.

Want me to break it down for you?

You: I personally have sworn off (behaviour), (behaviour) ruins gaming
Me: only (behaviour) from (charmingly excitable naive folk) is problematic
You: we are in agreement
Me: you are thus (charmingly excitable naive folk)?
You: WUT NO! READ COMPREHENDING

asd.png

Thats the bullshit we have to live with in Germany ...

You: I personally have sworn off (behaviour), (behaviour) ruins gaming
Me: only (behaviour) from (charmingly excitable naive folk) is problematic
You: we are in agreement
Me: you are thus (charmingly excitable naive folk)?
You: WUT NO! READ COMPREHENDING

Something is missing here.

The (charmingly excitable naive folk) are often the cause of (behavior), presumably. So being against (behavior) probably precludes being (charmingly excitable naive folk).

So unless I missed something, he never actually agreed with, what you say he agreed with... rather he agreed that there is a direct link between (charmingly excitable naive folk) and (behavior). :pompous:

What are you trying to do? CD Project confirmed themselves that there was a downgrade. And there isnt suddenly more vegetation at other times and more details on the walls. Besides the problem is not that there was a downgrade, its the communication and PR of CD Project.

And you can criticise Valve as much as you want, everyone already knows their mistakes, Im not riding their dicks as you do with CD Project. I just want a fair and true view from everyone on everything.

The vegetation is pretty much the same, I've played the game... which I'm guessing you haven't.

Yes, they said there was a lighting downgrade, which before was full dynamic lighting but they found out that didn't work on the open world and on a large variety of systems. They outright apologized for the downgrade and promised to make it up, which is pretty rare for a AAA developer and based on their history I expect another Enhanced Edition FREE upgrade.

So far they haven't let me down, and I believe that they are deserving of the benefit of the doubt. Right now they have alot of adoring fans, can't say the same for Valve after that wonderful AMA though.

xRjjkMJm.png

Last edited:

Perhaps you should give him, as well as CD Projekt, the benefit of the doubt. As much as Gabe Newell is human as us all, his opinions may be riddled with fallacies either caused by poor communication or downright bad thinking. Besides the shit that has already been thrown at him, I must give him credit for talking with the community with no PR.

He's in no way right about how the community is solely steered by money, but considering Valve has grown the TF2 community by paying passionate artists considerably, I can see where he's coming from. And we could see the similarities from the Dota 2 and TF2 artists to the modders, as they were both being cut off 75% of the revenue, so clearly the paid mods was inspired from Valve's previous success.

On top of that, the Portal 2 item system or whatever you wanna call it, was clearly also inspired by TF2's item success. See a pattern?

Valve is absolutely aware that a huge community is a huge success for the game and consquentially also a huge success for the company and it's profits. It's a win-win situation. Valve want's to grow the community, so they can earn more money. People wan't to play their games because they're good.

For the whole paid-mod spectacle, they obviously wanted more passionate modders to show up at the fray. In theory, this would grow the community significantly, and this would in turn result into a bigger fanbase, more enjoyment for the players and naturally more cash for the companies. Of course they didn't think through their systems completely, but that is not to say that it could not in any way positvely influence a community.

I think what's special about Valve is that they're willing to experiment and take risky descisions, and that's ****ing great. It seems like when companies say the evil word 'money' people jump to conclusions and crucify them.

Perhaps you should give him, as well as CD Projekt, the benefit of the doubt. As much as Gabe Newell is human as us all, his opinions may be riddled with fallacies either caused by poor communication or downright bad thinking. Besides the shit that has already been thrown at him, I must give him credit for talking with the community with no PR.

He's in no way right about how the community is solely steered by money, but considering Valve has grown the TF2 community by paying passionate artists considerably, I can see where he's coming from. And we could see the similarities from the Dota 2 and TF2 artists to the modders, as they were both being cut off 75% of the revenue, so clearly the paid mods was inspired from Valve's previous success.

On top of that, the Portal 2 item system or whatever you wanna call it, was clearly also inspired by TF2's item success. See a pattern?

Valve is absolutely aware that a huge community is a huge success for the game and consquentially also a huge success for the company and it's profits. It's a win-win situation. Valve want's to grow the community, so they can earn more money. People wan't to play their games because they're good.

For the whole paid-mod spectacle, they obviously wanted more passionate modders to show up at the fray. In theory, this would grow the community significantly, and this would in turn result into a bigger fanbase, more enjoyment for the players and naturally more cash for the companies. Of course they didn't think through their systems completely, but that is not to say that it could not in any way positvely influence a community.

I think what's special about Valve is that they're willing to experiment and take risky descisions, and that's ****ing great. It seems like when companies say the evil word 'money' people jump to conclusions and crucify them.

The community was fine with modders being paid for their work, but the process was a complete **** up. I believe Valve was deleting patreon links in the workshop but that could have been Bethesda for all we know.

At some time I did give Valve the benefit, but they largely ignored Steam's issues. It wasn't until GoG and Origin was beating them out and the pressure from EU did they decide to change. There's still alot that needs to be done and its Valve's responsibility to as the leading platform to do so.

Last edited:
So far they haven't let me down, and I believe that they are deserving of the benefit of the doubt. Right now they have alot of adoring fans, can't say the same for Valve after that wonderful AMA though.
Remind me again about how all game developers are enemies of each other and are constantly at war? Oh wait.

EDIT: Just thought I'd mention I work for one AAA game studio, help run a website talking about another, and manage the community for a small indie team. All of which are obviously fighting to kill one another.

Last edited:
Well, that's the difference between actually not caring, and just wanting everyone to know you're not caring. I'm not caring, guys, look! LOOK AT ALL THE CARING I'M NOT DOING HERE!
The whole point of this forum is self-expression though. It sounds like you just disagree with his premise regarding Valve. Everyone wants people to know and respond to what they're thinking. That's just natural.

I don't agree that Valve is boring as a final statement, but I also don't agree with your post.

Then again I haven't been here for years so :^)

I think the objection is that the premise is "not caring" about something.

There is an almost infinite number of things each of us don't care about, but clearly if we feel the need to announce one of them to the world... that's actually caring.

Something is missing here.

The (charmingly excitable naive folk) are often the cause of (behavior), presumably. So being against (behavior) probably precludes being (charmingly excitable naive folk).

So unless I missed something, he never actually agreed with, what you say he agreed with... rather he agreed that there is a direct link between (charmingly excitable naive folk) and (behavior). :pompous:

Oh I just noticed this.

It's not just being against (behaviour) we're talking about it's swearing an oath to oneself to (no longer?) engage in the (behaviour) considered problematic.

I think the objection is that the premise is "not caring" about something.

There is an almost infinite number of things each of us don't care about, but clearly if we feel the need to announce one of them to the world... that's actually caring.
There's a technically infinite number of things we all don't care about, but a) we're on a Valve-oriented forum and b) the opinions in question are from someone who once cared about Valve and for whatever reasons no longer cares. So it's about expression and conversation, which is the whole point of the existence of a forum like this. If it was some random account created yesterday saying the same thing it would be a little different.

God I love these threads. Eating each other over the years. I wonder who the last of us will be?

I just found this thread and read through it. This is great stuff. Never stop, ladies and gents.

Also I can confirm through a leaked email I received that HL3 is coming out tomorrow, guys. I should go make a thread about this. /s

Well you guys were obviously butt-hurt that someone else lost interest in your #1 favorite company. Sorry you took offense. And sorry I made a thread on this incredibly active forum (/s) that discusses Valve all the time that could use a new topic.

Also, I came back to mention one last thing I think Valve is wasting their time in. SteamOS. Remember back when they had that special announcement and it ended up being SteamOS, Steam box, and Steam controller? I'm pretty sure no one in the world was like "Man, I wish that this secret announcement Valve is going to make will be something that will replace my perfectly fine and functioning PC, with it's perfectly fine and functioning operating system Windows 7, with my perfectly fine and functioning mouse and keyboard. I would be bummed if they made a video game."

Sorry, but Valve will never ever convince me to use a Linux based operating system alongside or (laughably) instead of Windows. Nothing is broken and nothing needs change. I can understand when they made the leap to have games support Mac-OS because people use Macs for home use and entertainment.

But no one will spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a pre-built PC with an operating system that is for like a gaming's os (for streaming, basic internet browsing, and gaming). People buy PS4's and Xbox Ones. For streaming, they have Rokus or use the 1,000 other devices that can stream Netflix or Youtube or so on.

And just because I think Valve is boring and I don't care about them anymore doesn't mean I don't enjoy venting my frustation about them and want to talk about WHY i feel this way.
I didn't know that if you stopped caring about something, you immediately cannot talk about it.

But then again, you guys are so far up Gabe's ass you act like you enjoy "music kits" and this half-assed Source 2 release.

I especially like the "The Talos Principle" music kit for CS:GO, has the best mvp anthem

Also, I came back to mention one last thing I think Valve is wasting their time in. SteamOS. Remember back when they had that special announcement and it ended up being SteamOS, Steam box, and Steam controller? I'm pretty sure no one in the world was like "Man, I wish that this secret announcement Valve is going to make will be something that will replace my perfectly fine and functioning PC, with it's perfectly fine and functioning operating system Windows 7, with my perfectly fine and functioning mouse and keyboard. I would be bummed if they made a video game."

Sorry, but Valve will never ever convince me to use a Linux based operating system alongside or (laughably) instead of Windows. Nothing is broken and nothing needs change. I can understand when they made the leap to have games support Mac-OS because people use Macs for home use and entertainment.

But no one will spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a pre-built PC with an operating system that is for like a gaming's os (for streaming, basic internet browsing, and gaming). People buy PS4's and Xbox Ones. For streaming, they have Rokus or use the 1,000 other devices that can stream Netflix or Youtube or so on.
Linux is important though, because it frees developers and users from forms of gatekeeping and from performance overheads that we get from Windows and DirectX platforms. As things are already, you need to pay a hundred bucks or so for a valid Windows license, so you can download DirectX and play games with its performance overheads, and all this can be avoided if Linux becomes a thing. OpenGL/Vulkan is faster than DirectX, and Linux is cheaper than Windows, and it's better to see competition in the desktop OS market than to see one company (Microsoft) dominate sales and market share.

Windows 7 is pretty nice, but opening up the gaming market to Linux builds isn't a bad thing. "Good enough" isn't always good.

Back