Valve Releases Alien Swarm on Source, Free of Charge

Ennui

The Freeman
Reaction score
Updated 07/19: Alien Swarm is now available for download and play through Steam![br]

<div ></div>[br]<div >

Out of nowhere, Valve has come out with the release of the Source version of Alien Swarm. Alien Swarm was originally a popular UT2004 mod - it looks like the developers have been hired and now work at Valve. Alien Swarm on the Source engine will be released free of charge in three days, and it's probably safe to assume that the developers are working on a full-fledged sequel, as they already had plans for said sequel to be a Source engine title - thus releasing this port for free as a sort of tech experiment in porting assets and gameplay over from the UT2004 modification.[br]

Alien Swarm is a game and Source SDK release from a group of talented designers at Valve who were hired from the Mod community.
[br]
Available free of charge, the game thrusts players into an epic bug hunt featuring a unique blend of co-op play and squad-level tactics. With your friends, form a squad of four distinct IAF Marine classes. Plan your attack using an unlockable arsenal of weapons with countless loadout configurations against a wide variety of aliens. Blaze your way through an overrun, off-world colony, eradicating the alien infestation in environments ranging from the icy planet's surface, to a subterranean lava-flooded mining facility.
[br]
Along with the game get the complete code base for Alien Swarm that features updates to the Source engine as well as the SDK. Alien Swarm adds 3rd person camera, depth of field, improved dynamic shadows and a wide variety of gameplay additions to the Source engine.

Read more at the Steam store page for Alien Swarm, and watch a launch video at the Alien Swarm website.</div>

Alien Swarm was the shit.

Wow that looks fun at flip. Plus I get the code too so I can break it.

Left 4 Dead - infected + aliens = profit

Except it's free... So...

= Valve is cool

But seriously, it does look pretty awesome.

Wow this is good news :p!!

Anyone who knows how long it will remain 'free of charge'?

Wow this is good news :p!!

Anyone who knows how long it will remain 'free of charge'?

Well I don't think they're just one day going to start charging for it. This isn't one of those "free weekend things."

Well I don't think they're just one day going to start charging for it. This isn't one of those "free weekend things."

I was thinking more like 'Portal' wise.. But thanks for the answer!!

(just to be clear: it will be available for download the 19th?)

Awesome. I've never played the game but it looks great. Thanks Valve.

This is a surprise, and so sudden. But cool nonetheless, especially since this is free! Valve gets another thumbs up from me! :thumbs: Microsoft should take notes from Valve on how to properly support the PC.

I love Valve.

EDIT [strike]So is this third person topdown view?[/strike] Yes, it is.

Holy... shit!
Yes!

I can't believe that this actually saw the light of day! AND FREE NO LESS!

edit: Misleading thread title though, gave me the impression that it was already out. :frown:

It's free? Awesome :D

Time to get some coop gaming in :D

They will make a sequel for this so releasing the first one is abit publicity for Valve and it introduces people to the game that may not have played it before

Kewl.

But where are all the fanboys saying "WERE IS MI Ep3 VALVE!?!?!!one!!"

edit: Misleading thread title though, gave me the impression that it was already out. :frown:

Same here, got excited for a minute then realized I had to wait 2 days -.-
I think the word 'Announces' would fit better

Sorry for getting you guys unduly excited, I was rushing to get the news post out as soon as possible so that we'd beat all the other major Valve news sites to the punch :p and I also had to go to class in five minutes :D In retrospect the title should have been "Valve To Release" instead of "Releases"

If this is the free version, I can't wait to see the sequel (paid version). I bet it'll expand on the RPG elements (ie leveling). I can dream of a diablo clone alien shooter...

Also, stop trying to compare this to NS. (besides, everyone knows NS is just a rip off of AvP)

Kewl.

It looks like you beat them to it...

Valve releasing media for yet another game title they're developing while seeing nada about EP3 should come as no surprise to anyone anymore.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that this is a different team that's working on this game.

Valve simply hired them, they probably have nothing to do with Ep3.

My friend was going ape shit over this. He hates this game so much.

It's free, what the hell does he have to bitch about?

Kick your friend in the nuts.

Kewl.

"WHERE IN THE NINE HELLS IS EPISODE 3?!?!"

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D Still, the wait for Episode 3 is killing me. O.O

Where is EP3!
:p

I'm not into coop online games but thanks anyway and perhaps also a thank you for the guys who made this in the first place.

Just wondering who is really giving this to us, did valve buy the game and give it to us for free or are the developers just giving it out for free.

Where is EP3!
:p

I'm not into coop online games but thanks anyway and perhaps also a thank you for the guys who made this in the first place.

Just wondering who is really giving this to us, did valve buy the game and give it to us for free or are the developers just giving it out for free.

Valve hired the team that made the original mod for UT2004. They then re-made it for Source. That is the version we're getting. So technically we're getting it from Valve.

Holy Hell! This is Awesome! Can you guys believe this!? Valve just announced a whole new awesome game!
Do you have any idea how big of a deal this is!? :p Valve. NEW GAME. Like, Right Now. Like, FREE! :D

Guess this means no half-life 3 til 2015 :( Next on the Valve dev list is Alien Swarm 2 no doubt.

Looks like I need to start making mods for things so Valve hires me and gives away my work for free even though it's technically already free.

Back