Valve: the least fan-friendly company of all time?

Everyone play Solitaire to pass the time. In fact, lets all re-download X-fire and get solitaire to most played game :)
Maybe by the time we achieve this, Valve will have news for us.

Ok, how about we take this thread and do something interesting with it? (Cue the abandon thread calls)

What do you want them to include and/or work on for the next Half-Life game?

Personally, if they spent this entire time improving their AI code and keeping said behavior in mind when designing their damn levels, I'd be completely happy. Like, even if there were absolutely no other improvements. That, and gibbing god damn friendlies. Still pisses me off.

1. What makes you think people aren't making attempts to take interest in other games to fill their time?
2. That's great that you can seriously imagine it. Do you have any solid evidence of this?

From the amount of comments from people on our social networking sites claiming that people aren't interested in any other game besides HL3 is where I get that impression from. Sure it might just be a small minority, but it doesn't develop a good picture for the other people who just sit around complaining.

Plus, for your first point - it was in reference to the people who simply claim they don't care about any other Valve titles that have been developed since, even though they have most likely never attempted to experience them.

Heaven forbid people talk about HL on a HL site... and the biggest thing to talk about, through no fault of their own, is how there isn't anything to talk about.

That being said, there's still no valid call to say people are "just" complaining. Their activities on the forum don't make up the entirety of their lives.

We're just getting recursive here. First we complained about no news. Then we complained about complaining. Now we're complaining about complaining about complaining.

When people come here and the status quo is the same (with, however, a nod to the ever increasing length that we have been in such a state), why do people get upset that we are hearing the same statements? This whole thing is absurd.

valve is far from a perfect comapny. but not a non fan freindly company.

I have to agree the silence is ridiculous, its not the fact valve hasnt said anything its that they havnt acknowledged that they do or dont have plans for the franchise.

waiting on valve expecting perfection or to revolutionize the industry is ridiculous, so many fantastic games have come out in the meantime, halo 4, skyrim, borderlands 2 and even valve games like portal 2, most revolutionizing stuff has already come, the only things that havnt been surpassed yet is squad member AI and some facial animation. anyone expecting us to just sit down and shutup expecting best game ever to released is farther away from this earth than EA's efforts to please fans.

fans should have a right to know if a product is at least being worked on, and if its not than why it isnt being made.

communication aside valve in some ways their own worst enemys.

source engine- the optimization on it is pathetic in some areas, the load times being one with the file structuring which they have only now fixed in dota 2. the way the maps are made and the ammount of load times and small sizes of the areas, in a post halo CE shooter thats just...pathetic, the game was good but the way the levels were done with the load times was terrible.

source SDK- the SDK is the biggest problem, especially where they want to revolutionize new gameplay, assuming work was done on EP3 before source 2 development started the development time must have taken so long. besides the level structure problems and how small areas are without load times building stuff in the SDK is ridiculously hard especially scripted events and vehicles. if they really did have to rebuild stuff time and time again because it wasnt working than they must have just gotten so frustrated they decided doing source 2 would be better.

A few weeks ago Gabe said in the Nerdist Podcast:

"It does create sort of a peculiar pathway to some of are things so..
We go do Richochet and everybody's like Where's the sequel? And we're like 'We can't figure out how to make it better its kinda perfect the way it is so how could we possibly ever do Richochet 2?"

Essentially they are not going to make a HL3 if it doesn't surpass HL2, which makes things like that open world gameplay rumor kinda true.

Also I lost interest in Hat Fortress 2 a long time ago, and Dota 2 doesn't interest me in the slightest. I'm sick of multiplayer games, I just want a goddamn single player game. Was hoping for Metro: Last Light but that's up in the air.

On a completely unrelated note (didn't want to start a new thread for such a minor question) was looking at the E3 site for exhibitors and noticed that Valve are not on there yet, do they usually leave it late or are they just not going to have a booth this year?

On a completely unrelated note (didn't want to start a new thread for such a minor question) was looking at the E3 site for exhibitors and noticed that Valve are not on there yet, do they usually leave it late or are they just not going to have a booth this year?
We know that they will be attending E3, they just don't have a booth - they're doing a private room for invited press only, as they usually do.

I think that thiss will be the year that valve starts talking about HL3.
Remember,they didn't have a booth on E3 2011,and yet they still managed to announce portal 2 with a bang on the PS press.
A console partnership might be around the corner for them,who knows?
Althou i would like valve to stay PC only,with the new consoles having an extremely close architecture like the PCs do,it is possible, and what game to better launch them off into the stratosphere in the console market than HL3?
Would hate if this happens but it's the most logical thing to do atm.

TLDR: They are waiting the new consoles to roll out!
And quite possibly the new engine to get its bearings :D

Valve wasn't shown at the Sony's list of game studios developing games for the PS4, so unless Valve plans to make HL3 for only PC/MAC/LINUX, I don't see anything happening this year with regards to E3. Wouldn't there be hints already leading up to E3 if they were planning to reveal a new game?

Right now Valve's focus looks to be is hardware and Dota 2.

I'm and old guy (49) and remember how jazzed I was when Half Life first came out - played it 4 times within the first 6 months. After Doom, Quake and Wolfenstein 3d, it was HL that got me into 1st person shooters. I have never really enjoyed multiplayer 1st person shooters - I enjoy the story behind the single player games. Therefore, except for Portal and Portal 2, i've been playing the waiting game with Valve on HL2 e3 or HL3. Waiting for the next instalment of HL has been like waiting for Stephen King to finish the Dark Tower series - it's not like my life revolves around waiting for it and after a certain point I have stopped caring (but still held out some hope). I consider myself to be one of the fans that have been abandoned by Valve, though I admit that I am a minority. I just hope that the next instalment of HL makes it out before I turn 60. :)

Back