Valve: "we're developing hardware"

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yesterday, we reported that one of the newer faces at Valve was now working on next-generation gaming hardware.

If that wasn't enough fuel for the fire then check out one of the latest vacancies at Valve for an Electrical Engineer.

In the job posting they clearly state they are "developing hardware" and not just "me-too mice and gamepads" but "whole new gaming experiences".

[prbreak]Continue reading to see the full job spec[/prbreak]
Electronics Engineer

For years, Valve has been all about writing software that provides great gameplay experiences. Now we’re developing hardware to enhance those experiences, and you can be a key part of making that happen. Join our highly motivated team that’s doing hardware design, prototyping, testing, and production across a wide range of platforms. We’re not talking about me-too mice and gamepads here – help us invent whole new gaming experiences.
Duties:
  • Work with the hardware team to conceive, design, evaluate, and produce new types of input, output, and platform hardware
Requirements:
  • Hands on prototyping experience
  • Lab and measurement skills
  • System level design experience
  • Knowledge of embedded systems/microcontrollers
  • Experience with high speed serial interfaces
  • Experience with schematic entry
  • Experience with circuit simulation
  • Four years relevant experience
Recommended:
  • Board layout (analog and high speed digital)
  • Hardware Definition Languages (HDL) for FPGA and chip design
  • Power supply management
  • Thermal management
  • Design for test
  • Low frequency analog
  • RF and antennas
  • Signal integrity analysis
  • DSP
  • ARM / X86 system design
  • Manufacturing pilot runs
  • Failure analysis
  • FCC/CE/UL certification

This could be the next big thing for Valve, or it could just be an extremely experimental project. Either way, we'll keep digging for more information.

Attachments

• valvectrlpatent2.jpg
    valvectrlpatent2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 261
Ok I think I should just go buy a PS3 controller. If they're only putting up job offerings now they probably won't have anything ready to ship for years :p

Edit: These emoticons are terrible. Except these ones: :chicken::glenn::help:
Those ones are ok. Needs more sparkly dinosaurs though.

Don't diss the emoticons. Consider that a warning :yorick:

I personally like the Munro one: :munro:

Hopefully Valve will just build a 'standardized' Windows or Linux PC that doesn't have any features a homebuilt one can't have. I don't like buying a locked down computer.

Well this is pure speculation I suppose.

There's no chance Valve is building a console. There's no point. Valve is talking about new ways of interacting and experiencing games through peripherals. This does not require an entire console when all current consoles and computers can support these peripherals.

I didn't even notice that some of the emoticons were named after people. I approve.

RF and antennas

The next valve ARG will involve you guys using Ham radios to pluck the signals from the air, and then deciphering them.

CQ CQ CQ QRZ MFL Howcopy? CQ CQ CQ

I didn't even notice that some of the emoticons were named after people. I approve.
No one could think of a good one for me. I'm pretty dull.

I agree with Vegeta897 this isn't going to be a console, but what?

Sounds like an input device. They've always had interest in alternative input. Examples: 2011 Razor Hydra, 2007 Novint Falcon.

For the love of god, why has no one said SteamEngine yet?

Back