Valve's Small San Francisco Team Has Closed

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
The small San Francisco group of developers that we reported on a few months ago has closed its doors, figuratively speaking, according to some online résumés from ex-Valve employees.

slide-jpg.23876

The group consisted of three employees during its eight months of operations. One employee was Steve Desilets, who had worked with Valve in 2005 on the Half-Life episodes and was once a developer for EA and Looking Glass Studios - to name a few. And Jeff Gates and Tod Semple, ex-Popcap and Blizzard developers.

According to Steve's LinkedIn, the group was an "experimental casual studio," and last June he said on his blog that "[Jeff Gates & Tod Semple] really take the time to mull over and consider designs before just throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks."

These three developers have backgrounds in creating mobile applications and mobile games, so it's not a stretch to think that they were working on some mobile Valve products. But how far did they get and what designs did stick? Valve appears to be working still on "littlefoot", so was this a branch of that? Tod has started a game studio so we might see their designs in their own independent products and releases, rather than in Valve's.

This is the first, and last time, I ever heard of this place. RIP - hardly knew ye~

deleted

Last edited:
I was wondering when this was going to happen, since I hadn't heard of anything from them in some time. RIP little guys.

I was wondering when this was going to happen, since I hadn't heard of anything from them in some time. RIP little guys.

I was wondering when this was going to happen, since I hadn't heard of anything from CyberPitz in some time.

Not like they were doing anything important there, but it is sad to hear that any game studio closed.

Not like they were doing anything important there, but it is sad to hear that any game studio closed.

Don't worry. Tod and Jeff reopened the studio as "Temple Gates Games" after Valve gave them the premise when both parties decided there was no benefit in keeping it as a Valve owned studio.

Until they make something and Valve reacquires them and releases the game as their own. Again.

I was wondering when this was going to happen, since I hadn't heard of anything from CyberPitz in some time.
Not going to lie, that wasn't intentional. Although, I'm ruining it by replying again. DAMN.

Back