Video Card.... Need New.... D:

Shamrock

Companion Cube
Reaction score
So my GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr by MSI is annoying the hell out of me. The fans don't work half the time, and I'm just sick of dealing with this. It's a decent card, but I've hard a lot of issues with it. I'm going to buy a new card and then get this warrantied and then sell it.

Right now, I don't know how much money to spend. I don't game as much as I used to, and I'm not really worried about MAXING out everything. If I can max out random games at 1080p that would be great. This card can handle that extremely well.

Essentially, I need something in the $200 range or so depending on how much performance improvement I get....

Someone recommend me something, please! :D

EDIT: I just checked and prices are still $200 for this freaking card. Really? :l

Ugh....

EDIT #2:
I have decided I can afford at least $300-325 if I sell this card. What can I get in that range?

I like both your ideas, but I'm going to update the post because I'm going to add some money to it. So say I sell the card for $150 or so, I can put 150-175$ towards a new card.

Let's think in the price range of 300-325 now. :)

Get a brand name 670GTX (EVGA, or Asus) you're throwing away your money on anything else since that card launched. It's just a slightly gimped 680, essentially identical chips. Just look at reviews and tech sites. Or my sick-arse pc. :arms:

I can also vouch for the 670. Might be a little out of your price range, but the jump in performance is pretty significant.

I love all of your suggestions. I'm going to come back to this on Saturday/Sunday to see if any deals show up. If not, I'm probably going to jump on either the 670 or the 7950. I figure if it'll give me enough performance benefit that I shouldn't have to worry about the settings in most games for at least 2 years.

I'm not positive though, but Stigmata is trying to talk me into the 7970 which might be extreme overkill for me and the price.... :eek:

My price range is now 300-375. Of course, the cheaper the better!

I'm not positive though, but Stigmata is trying to talk me into the 7970 which might be extreme overkill for me and the price.... :eek:

My price range is now 300-375. Of course, the cheaper the better!

Stigmata is right. I got that card in my new PC a few months back. It's pretty boss.
Vegeta was also right about XFX, can't really go wrong with them.

Just look at the lovely benchmarks :)

Can you link me to reputable benchmarks?

Also, While the 7970 is amazing (from what I hear), I don't know if I can afford to shell out $400 for that card!

By the way, the card I linked performs about as well as a stock 7970, since it's factory overclocked.

I don't have links handy but I found this out back when I was buying my PC.

That 7950 is gorgeous, Veg. I just saw some benchmarks from Hard OCP with the latest beta drivers. Pretty good if I do say so. Sure, I'd love that extra power.

Question! I realize these cards came out at the beginning of this year or so. When is the next rumored cards to be released by ATI/Nvidia? I'd like to get a card soon, but if say in a month or so they release something new and they're just marginally better for the same price..... Well, it's a no brainer. Rgiht?

They wouldn't be the same price.

I meant if the new ones came out and they dropped the price a little on the 7950s. You know what I mean, broseph?

Regardless, are they rumored to have new cards coming out soon?

My personal opinion is that you should go for the 7900 series, it's just a matter of picking your price point. New cards aren't slated for at least March or something like that, and the 7900 series AFAIK has noteworthy architecture for some reason and somehow has greater performance potential from driver updates. Something about CUDA. Anyway, the 12.11 drivers came out recently and gave pretty big boosts of 3-15% depending on the card and the game.

For the record, my 7970 GHz maxes everything at 1080p/60fps/4xAA/16xAF except for ArmA II and the occasional frame of Max Payne 3.

I mean the best value right now is the 670GTX, it rivals the 79XX radeons and they take turns taking a slight lead on one another.

Tom's Hardware has a couple good writeups.

Back