Want to be Interviewed?

Riven

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm Riven, and I run the old Half-Life based mapping community snarkpit.net; we've been online since 2001. Now, I'll be honest and admit I hardly ever check the forums here... However, I do subscribe to the feeds and keep up with the news postings. You guys manage to get all the good scoop first. Beyond that though, I just prefer to hang around a much smaller community, that's usually how I handle online discussions. halflife2.net is a great resource, but probably a little large for me. Anyhow, what I came to tell you guys about: We're looking for anyone interested who would like to submit an interview about level design. You don't have to be a member of The Snarkpit to participate, nor are you required to join ever. But all interviews will be published there under our articles section. If you're interested, please read below about the criteria, questions, and submittal contact. I hope to read some of your interviews!

interview.gif

========================================================
Are you a mapper or regular reviewer who'd like to be interviewed your opinions and experiences about level design?

About:
We want to interview various amateur/professional level designers a series of perspective questions (how do you start a map, etc...) on their process of level design. And what would be really interesting would be to see how each one of you answers differently. I was thinking of keeping it as text-based interviews.

We will compile all this info and release an article per each interview showcasing the responses.

Criteria:
  • You must have been mapping, level designing, or critiquing/reviewing others' maps for at least two years consecutively (within the past 10 years please)
  • You should have at least two and up to four images to show your works. Or links to those critiques/reviews or a portfolio page. That's it!

Amateurs and professionals alike are welcome. You do not need to be a member of The SnarkPit to participate, and nor do you have to sign up. I will be sending invitations along to other Half-Life and general mapping/level design community sites.

If you'd like your interview to be posted prior to January 5, please submit it before January 1st, that will give me enough time to format and post it. Other than that, I'll accept any other interview submittals throughout the next 3-4 months, and will work to get them posted as I get them...

Please see below the questions to find out how to submit your responses!

The Questions:
A list of required questions. If you wish to participate, please answer all of these 4 questions at the minimum, and then proceed to answer some of the others listed below these four.
  1. Could you tell us a little bit about yourself and how you got involved with level design?
  2. How long have you been mapping or doing level design work and/or critiquing others' maps?
  3. What games and game types do you map for?
  4. If level design is currently a hobby for you, What do you plan to do, or continue doing with your experience and skills in the near future (in the next 5 years?)
Here are the rest of the questions. You will be able to submit answers to 10 of them ONLY (any 10). -Choose wisely! ;)
  1. Where do you look for inspiration or whom do you look to for ideas and in what medium (books, movies, portfolios, etc.)?
  2. What is your current level design method work flow? How do you start a level and then bring it to completion (maybe a list)?
  3. What is the most important step or aspect in designing a level for you?
  4. Are there any special techniques you use in designing your levels?
  5. What percentage ratio of work would you say you do outside the level design program of choice versus within it to complete your map?(60/40, 20/80, 32/68, etc...)
  6. What do you do to get your name out there for others to play your maps?
  7. What three pieces of advice would you have for an aspiring level designer?
  8. Are there any special programs you use when designing and building a level?
  9. What other hobbies or careers do you work/study in and do you think they compliment your level design knowledge and or skills?
  10. What should a beginning level designer focus on the most in attempting to develop their skills?
  11. What's the most valuable lesson you've learned about level design?
  12. How important is optimization to you in designing a level, and how much of your time would you say you commit to it out of the entire level design process?
  13. What are some of your "level design philosophies?"
  14. Is there a particular level or custom map from any game that stands out as an excellent example of craftsmanship? Why?
  15. What other skills do you think are imperative for a modern level designer?
  16. What kind of system do you run? (computer specifications).
  17. Where are you from and where do you currently work?
Please submit all chosen questions and answers in some sort of organized outline format in an e-mail to: [email protected]

Please include
  • your real name and/or your common screen name.
  • preferred contact method to be publicly posted along with your interview (not required).
  • Two to four images of your works with subtitles in the e-mail; please no larger than 1000x1000 pixels, and/or two to four links to your critiques/reviews.
  • A listing of a few projects or critiques/reviews (2-6) you will be talking about that could possibly be found on the internet somewhere. (Just the names and/or titles).
  • If you are already or plan to be a SnarkPit member (it's free and we're self supported; no spam or ads), please include your SnarkPit screen name. It will be linked with the article to your profile page.
  • If you currently work for an actual games studio, please list.
Also of note, I am willing to conduct audio interviews as well. I will use Skype, (maybe Ventrillo), but I definitely recommend Skype. I still require you to fill out the written interview because that will get posted any way, but the addition of an audio interview will be also quite beneficial and listed first in the article. If you are willing, we can find a time. Please simply make a note of it in your response e-mail and I will get back to you about a good time for the both of us to conduct it. ;)

Feel free to comment here, or if you'd like to see the original thread that sparked the idea on The SnarkPit, that can be found here. And I would love if some of you guys decided to pass the word along; like I said, it's open to anyone matching the criteria.

What do you guys think? :D

I'd make you wish you never offered to interview me if I gave you that chance. You'd wish you were interviewing Ben Stein or something.

Snark is a funny word.

1243136132378.jpg

Good ol' Snarkpit.

Good idea, looking forward to reading future interviews.

Ah, the Snarkpit! I haven't visited that site in years. I sort of thought it was gone :O

I think I'll submit one.

I have two good friends who are professional level designers and have done mod work with Source in the past and I'm sure they'd like to talk about their work and experiences, would it be okay if I passed along this info to them?

Of course! Not a problem whatsoever. I can't wait to read what they have to say! :D

Can't help you, but I hope you get what you're looking for!

Back