Warhammer 40k : Space Marine

I wasn't expecting much from it at all but was genuinely surprised at how fun it is.

Raw gameplay with no commentaries:

I'm going to buy this one I think.

Sounds good to me... as always, in the grim darkness of the far future there is ONLY WAR

I'm looking forwards to this. Looks like they have some great production values and its going to be great seeing some real high quality 40k environments.

I can't see the game on steam at all so I dont see how people can get a pre-order demo :(

Are you in the UK Stormy? as its only available in the US due to GAME stores getting an exclusive deal or something.

If you go to the space marine website and sign up to the honor guard you can then get a key to use via steam and download the demo.

Thanks for the heads up guys, downloading the demo. Been waiting a good while on this one.

The gameplay looks a lot like Red Faction Armageddon, might be fun, I'll check it out.

Downloading now. Kinda looking forward to this. TB had a 30 minute gamegasm when he did his WTF is ...

Who are the ones who sound like angry cockneys? Orks?

I was just playing this demo and I have to agree with TotalBiscuit. This game makes you feel AWESOME!!!! OH YEAH!!!

It somewhat reminds me of Arkham Asylum in that it allows you to inhabit a total badass. I honestly had low expectations going into the demo, but after getting into the flow of combat I found myself having a hell of a time. I'm not sure how well that might hold up over a longer game, but I think I'm pretty sold on it.

Total Biscuit certainly seemed to be having a good time.

Same minimum spec processor requirement as Human Revolution, just above what my shitty netbook has. I'll try to play the demo anyway.

Total Biscuit certainly seemed to be having a good time.

His reactions were gold.

"Explode into a fine red mist for the emperor!"
"Purge the unclean!"
"Your face is no longer attached to the rest of you!"

LOL, he could easily do one of the voices of the space marines himself.

Tried the demo and it is indeed joyous. It'd be a rental for me if I wasn't so enamoured with the great job they did with the PC version, and the fast-paced action seems like it would be better suited to mouse control. Might have to pick it up later on the cheap. Too many great games, too little casssssshhhhhh.

Edit: My chainsword is tasty!

2hWlv.jpg

I like the overall gameplay but fighting those charging Nob's can get very frustrating. Especially if there's more than one of them. The lift section was a pain in the ass. I didn't like the dynamics of that fight at all. I spent most of my time running away from them to cover. If you even stay still for more than a second, they'll come right at your with their charge attack and beat the shit out of you. They lock onto you immediately and completely ignore the friendly AI. I welcome challenging gameplay but this is downright annoying. The second mission, Battlements, was far more enjoyable for me. The jump pack's a blast to use.

I think i am gonna skip it for now. Maybe, wait for a patch or two and give them some time to balance a few things out.

The key to battle is not to take any cover at all. Wade in and when you're health gets low stun and execute a couple of orcs to get back your health. All this time you are building your rage so that when the 2 Nobs come out you can Rage and execute them without even having to stun them. The game actually rewards you for not taking cover if you play it right. The game doesn't explain very well that in order to get health you have to use executions, then again this does start from level 2 and probably skips right over the tutorial.

Yeah, I died quite a few times on the first mission on easy difficulty just because I hadn't yet full grasped how to manage the mobs, and the game never really explained how to.

Also, check out the combat controls in the in-game menu. Hitting stun during a combo can incapacitate or kill a lot of enemies, if you press it at the right time.

It's a very good game, but that type of hack n slash just isn't my genre.

Just played the demo myself, and it really is a lot of fun. I liked the second level with the jet pack the most. Crashing down into a crowd of enemies never gets old.

Another September Game? Are they that afraid of Call of pooting? What happened to November or *gasp* October. Spread it out a little, only Skyrim is still going for November. Guaranteed there will be some undeservedly bad launches thanks to this

So this game is out, and it's great. Anyone else have it? There's a cooperative mode isn't there?

I've got it, not played much but it is full of WAR so I will surely play some more.

WAR!

I'm playing online too, think I had a game with you the other day Evo.

Coop isn't available at launch, its going to be patched in later. MP is fun though (if horribly laggy for me :( )

I've only played about an hour of it so far. Are there any enemies besides Orks in the game? I love me some good Ork slaughter but it would be ****ing cool to fight dem Chaos.

My only negative criticism so far: needs a bit more WAAAGHH. There's some WAAAGH but not really enough WAAAGHHH.

I've only played about an hour of it so far. Are there any enemies besides Orks in the game? I love me some good Ork slaughter but it would be ****ing cool to fight dem Chaos.

My only negative criticism so far: needs a bit more WAAAGHH. There's some WAAAGH but not really enough WAAAGHHH.

What this game really needed and is suited for are Tyranids.

True dat. I would buy the shit out of that expansion / sequel.

What this game really needed and is suited for are Tyranids.

WTF are tyranids?

*googles*

Ah yes, tyranids aka zerg aka xenomorphs aka aliens.
If I was Geiger I would be both flattered and pissed off at the plethora of ripoffs of the alien design.

WTF are tyranids?

*googles*

Ah yes, tyranids aka zerg aka xenomorphs aka aliens.
If I was Geiger I would be both flattered and pissed off at the plethora of ripoffs of the alien design.

This post.

Played the demo, actually had quite a bit of fun despite the fact that I generally dont like third person action games like this. Probably won't buy it, but props to them for making a fun game.

The multi is a blast. Has problems, but what game doesn't?

Getting that overhead smash with the thunderhammer off on a poor devestator is so satisfying.

Getting that overhead smash with the thunderhammer off on a poor devestator is so satisfying.

Are the jump jet guys as badass as their single player counterparts? That would be awesome if they were.

But P2P and permanently on mics that you have to mute manually. Why isn't there a PTT button? Why isn't there a server browser?

Everything else was wonderfully converted to PC for an enjoyable play with mouse and keyboard and allows me to set my controls how I like them, so why fail so hard in these areas. Seriously. Nothing kills your immersion in the grim darkness of the far future like hearing horribly distorted German TV!

Other than that, really fun, but those two things really kill it for me.

Are the jump jet guys as badass as their single player counterparts? That would be awesome if they were.

They're not nearly as powerful as the jump pack you get in the SP. Tactical and Devestator/Havoc Marines have a great range of options for dealing with Raptors/Assault Marines, my preferred choice being a melta gun to the face.

The jump jets in SP are BEAST MODE. So much fun. I love how dearly this game embraces the blood-drenched 40k ethos.

Back