water objects

A

Asolik

Hey Gabe, I was just wondering if it's true that you can make any object out of watsuch as, tabels or walls, ex., and if it would be possible to walk through them?

Yes. Doesn't really fit into HL-2, but MOD guys could use it.

This can already be seen in the tech demo videos, no need to ask. :)

theres a sticky thread at the top to add info from valve :) also i like the fact that water splashes arent sprites. weee

Originally posted by Apos
This can already be seen in the tech demo videos, no need to ask. :)

You can see a model built out of water you dont see anyone walk through it.

That walking through part did help me a bit.

You can see a model built out of water you dont see anyone walk through it.

There's absolutely nothing special about one model walking through another. In fact, the opposite is he much harder task: making sure they can't. You could already do this in HL1 for goodness sakes: that's what the training room holograms were.

Couldnt you make shit out of water in original hl anyway? All you had to do was take an object and make it a water entity or whatever.

Originally posted by The DemonWithin
Couldnt you make shit out of water in original hl anyway? All you had to do was take an object and make it a water entity or whatever.

in HL you could make a brush of water, basically, a block of water, heh...its basically just a texture that has movement, and when you make a brush of it it turns into an entity which gives it properties like you can change the transparency and you can make it damaging (use for slime and lava), and you tell it if you want waves.... but i dont think applying that texture to a model would work in HL, but im not a super duper experienced moddeler or HL technical person *shrug*

Yes it is possible and was done many times before in Natural-selection mod in Missilecommand map..hehe good old NS

Originally posted by Xtasy0
in HL you could make a brush of water, basically, a block of water, heh...its basically just a texture that has movement, and when you make a brush of it it turns into an entity which gives it properties like you can change the transparency and you can make it damaging (use for slime and lava), and you tell it if you want waves.... but i dont think applying that texture to a model would work in HL, but im not a super duper experienced moddeler or HL technical person *shrug*
Im almost positive that you cant apply it to a model, thats why gabe mentioned it in the e3 video. cause its a new feature.

There's absolutely nothing special about one model walking through another. In fact, the opposite is he much harder task: making sure they can't. You could already do this in HL1 for goodness sakes: that's what the training room holograms were.

You go and make a model made of a water material in HL1 for goodness sake.

There is no concept of materials in HL1 so alls you can try and do is make something look as much like water as you can.

You make a HL1 table made of water and ill make a HL2 table made of water.

Im almost positive that you cant apply it to a model, thats why gabe mentioned it in the e3 video. cause its a new feature.

i thought you were insinuating it was possible to do it in HL with your reply. anyways yeah, i agree.

The reference to HL1 was that you could have walk through objects, HL2 clearly has water objects and it almost certainly has walk through objects

I hope this clarifies things.

You go and make a model made of a water material in HL1 for goodness sake.

There is no concept of materials in HL1 so alls you can try and do is make something look as much like water as you can.

You make a HL1 table made of water and ill make a HL2 table made of water.

Sigh. Look. In HL1, you can make models water entities, which is basically the same as giving them a water skin. And you can make them intangible so that you can walk through them. That gets you exactly the effects being asked about, though nowhere as neat.

The difference in HL2 is that the texture actually defines the property of what's rendered automatically, without hacky kludges.

My point was a) we already know that entites can be made out of water via this materials system and b) of COURSE you can walk through them: you can do this with anything, even back in the quake days. As I said, there's nothing hard about making something intangible: making it tangible is MUCH harder (clipping planes and such).

Originally posted by Xtasy0
i thought you were insinuating it was possible to do it in HL with your reply. anyways yeah, i agree.
I was agreein wit you man, you cant make a model out of water (monster, character, whatever) But you can make objects (Houses, chairs, giant ashtrays) Heheh, jus had to clarify, and i dont know what insinuating means. so ill jus nod and say yes
/me says yes

Sigh. Look. In HL1, you can make models water entities, which is basically the same as giving them a water skin. And you can make them intangible so that you can walk through them. That gets you exactly the effects being asked about, though nowhere as neat.
What really? Can you do this in hammer? or is it a diff prog?

Xtasy edited his post to be simpler by usin' the fancy word :p hehe. Insinuatin' just means, "tryin' to say"

What really? Can you do this in hammer? or is it a diff prog?

Just give a model a transparency, a water skin, and make it intangible. The end.

I understand what you mean but without sounds, refraction, partial reflecion and possibly ripples you cant really say its made of water. I still think im expecting too much from this new engine. Hope im not too dissapointed. :O

I doubt anyone will be dissapinted with the new engine. It will most likely impress you in areas you never expected.

I can't tell you what those areas are, as they will take me by suprise also!

I'm just speaking from experience with other games, and my impressions of HL2.

He wasn't telling us about a new feature at E3, he was giving us an example of the flexibility of Source. Also giving a model the water property in HL2 will make it just like water, eg - it will splash :)

You try making a HL1 model splash.

lol, that's true that isn't possibly :D

yeah just give it the proporties for water and youll see it's a frickin water monster from atlantis :)

He wasn't telling us about a new feature at E3, he was giving us an example of the flexibility of Source.

Exactly. And of course, water effects are ten times cooler in Source.

OMG: someone asked Gabe the "if I shoot a barrel full of water will it flow out" question. How could ANYONE think that this would be even remotely possible? Might as well ask if HL2 can render dynamic pores and pimples with their "Noxema engine."

Apos, to answer your question, we just recieved a new email in your thead. No, the water will not poor out, sad to say. I'm wondering what it WILL do though.

Yes, I know: that's exactly the question I was complaining about. Doing that is totally impossible with current tech, as we discussed on a thread a little while ago. It's silly to even expect it.

Not to mention it's really not that big a deal. :-\

Back