We are all going to die.

Yeah but look on the bright side, we get bragging rights for all eternity as being the ones that destroyed the Universe!:D

You think of the trillion stars in our galaxy and think of the star systems orbitting them, then think of the trillion galaxies in our universe and the trillion stars in each galaxy and the star systems orbitting everyone, now think of the intelligent life that might live in some of those star systems and now think that all it takes is for one intelligent life form to destroy the universe.

All it takes is a single race of beings amongst trillions to do it...:O :rolling:

Ahem... I was kidding in case you didn't get it...:upstare:

I know what the military would think if that did happen though: "Whoa dude best weapon evah!":LOL:

Cool, those things are hudge. Last I heard with these they were looking for higgs bosons out of the collisions which if found would prove the higgs field. ie vaccum energy/scalar field. They've done this before a few times in smaller ones, theres no need to worry lol.

lol this all does sound very farmiliar ^^

However, in science risks need to be taken. We are talking about tracing back to when the universe was created, to discover its origins, and hopefully, to discover other inteligent life (which I can actually garuntee there being with the sheer size of the universe). The risk is so small that there practically isn't even a risk. With a project this size, they must have been working on it in secret for a long, long time, with the best physists on the planet amogst the science team.

Risk: 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance.

Yeah, they'll begin the experiment and realise "Whoops, forgot to carry the 1, it's actually a 1 in 10 chance".

Don't you just love it when science goes catastrophically wrong? I'll be laughing when France disappears into one of these black holes. I'll still be laughing when the black hole grows, and swallows the rest of the planet. I'll even play REM's "End of the World" for a fitting finale.

That would rock pretty hard if it opened a portal to a new universe and we could all run around with shotguns blowing away zombies

Except the whole "chance of getting killed" part

I swear to fkn god, if I'm looking at pictures of this experiment, and I see ANYONE that resembles Gordon Freemen or the G-Man...I'm going to shit myself, hole myself up and prepair for invasion.

Im going to live with you if you see aNYTHING spare gun, thompson, tommy gun anthing works fine... Just as long as we have to live underground, stay away from the combine... but how long till the combine, now that we know the future, we must prevent it from happening

SALT CLUB MEETING!

Btw who is making this machine?

The black holes they create probably won't last longer than a few picoseconds.

The black holes they create probably won't last longer than a few picoseconds.

So it can acctually eat the world in a few picoseconds D: WE MUST PLAY THE MUSIC EARLY. wont work btw

I'd like to know how they actually calculated that risk.......to me it looks like they have just completely made it up "oh it's about....."

If I recall correctly, scientists also created and allowed the detonation of Hydrogen Bombs even though they thought one might torch the atmosphere. Yeah, they're smart alright, or have no regard for the human species so long as they can get results - take your pick. Intelligence and common sense don't tend to go hand in hand.

Yeah, that'd be, like, so true, if there was actually a chance of it actually happening. Which, like, there wasn't.

"will smash protons into one another at unimaginable speeds trying to replicate in miniature the events of the Big Bang."

Sounds like we have nothing to worry about guys.

Don't you just love it when science goes catastrophically wrong? I'll be laughing when France disappears into one of these black holes. I'll still be laughing when the black hole grows, and swallows the rest of the planet. I'll even play REM's "End of the World" for a fitting finale.

It wouldn't work like that, when a black hole is created in the experiment, it'll be so small that'll it'll just puff out mere milliseconds later before being able to suck anything in. All blackholes die, the life depends on how big they were originally, infact as far as i'm aware, blackholes can not actually grow in size but i'm sure someone on here would know more about it than me or probably correct me on that.

Yeah, black holes do not work like that at all. Even if you did make a black hole, it's not going to have sufficient mass to suck everything into it. And the smaller the black hole, the more quickly they evapourate too.

Dude don't question this guy...he has seen his fair share of sci-fi movies...he knows his stuff

Oh my gosh, is he a scientist?

corporatescientistoc7.jpg
"Titration, lol!"

"Risk: 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance."

What is that number even CALLED?

It's a lower risk than you falling directly into the sun right now.

10^-40 chance? Meh.

Well it wont have a name but will be put into standard form (i think thats what its called, ill have to check on it)

So it will be 1 in 1x1030 (1x10 to the power of 30 basically)

or something along those lines, I was good at maths but haven't done it in 2 years lol

It wouldn't work like that, when a black hole is created in the experiment, it'll be so small that'll it'll just puff out mere milliseconds later before being able to suck anything in. All blackholes die, the life depends on how big they were originally, infact as far as i'm aware, blackholes can not actually grow in size but i'm sure someone on here would know more about it than me or probably correct me on that.
I was kinda joking, but never mind.

Black holes are just seriously dense balls of matter. The density makes them gravitational black spots, and as such everything is pulled towards them. Any matter that enters a black hole is crushed to a factor of a few billion, and becomes a part of it - making the thing more dense, hence it grows, and grows in strength (more dense matter = more gravitational pull). They're not really black, either. They're just so gravitationally motivated, that even light itself can't escape. If you had some uber photons that bounced off black holes, you'd be able to see them. You'd just be looking at uber-dense matter though, like a 20 year old bathroom rug thats never been washed.

These 'micro' black holes would have little to no matter at all. Makes me wonder what would be so black about them - you can't get anywhere near enough gravitational pull from a few particles to affect photons in any way.

Anyone else getting tired of having their imminent death prophesied to them every other day?

Thre is more chance of you getting stuck by lightening 300 times in one day than this experiment destroying earth

The biggest thing to worry about is a vacuum collapse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum#Vacuum_metastability_disaster

It'd cause physics to break down to a more stable form - a form that doesn't support matter.

That'd be a bastard.

-Angry Lawyer

I'm in the Alpha Centuari system and I'm posting via an advanced quantum entanglement which allows communication faster than the speed of light.

I've caused a vacuum collapse, it'll take 4 years to reach Earth.

lol

I'M IN UR ALPHA CENTAURI SYSTEM, POSTING ON UR WEBSITE VIA AN ADVANCED QUANTUM ENTANGLEMENT!

:p

I'm in the Alpha Centuari system and I'm posting via an advanced quantum entanglement which allows communication faster than the speed of light.

I've caused a vacuum collapse, it'll take 4 years to reach Earth.

lol

NOOOOOO!

For those who want things simplified - http://www.exitmundi.nl/vacuum.htm

It'd be a bastard if it happened somewhere else in space. You'd see a big wall of nothing approaching. Just, stars disappearing.

-Angry Lawyer

YAY a Resonance Cascade!!!!!!!! :D

I hope a hole opens up in our dimention, KEWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back