We need 37 more signs!

What is this for, exactly...?
EDIT: Oh, okay.

That won't help. Sorry, thanks for playing, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Sorry for not saying.
It's a petition directed to valve in which we request a tiny bit of info about the next Half Life installment.

edit: 36...

Oh for ****'s sake... Grow up, children. Go play outside in the snow for a few hours. Go get a girlfriend. Have some patience already. Find something else to do. Petitions of any kind never work. Valve has to approach this as a company. if they haven't told you anything, you're just going to have to suck it up and accept it.

Oh for ****'s sake... Grow up, children. Go play outside in the snow for a few hours. Go get a girlfriend. Have some patience already. Find something else to do. Petitions of any kind never work. Valve has to approach this as a company. if they haven't told you anything, you're just going to have to suck it up and accept it.

Don't flame here. Go to the specified thread. It's was not my idea to do that, I just spread out the word.

What is this for, exactly...?
EDIT: Oh, okay.

That won't help. Sorry, thanks for playing, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

So the British Version of Monopoly is not $200, but is £315.66 due to exchange rates and I am thoroughly against the petition

968/1000

5 signs in a matter of minutes. Does it really hurt to post a comment?

No it hurts to support stupidity. Valve will release info when they're ready. With HL2 they released information far too early and it backfired massively. They're not going to make the same mistakes again.

I render that argument valid.
but
"With HL2 they released information far too early"

This isn't the case for Ep3. 4 years have passed.

I do however agree that they will say something when the time is right, but a try doesn't hurt.

What a waste of time.

Don't flame here. Go to the specified thread. It's was not my idea to do that, I just spread out the word.

1. I'm going to do what I want. You're not a mod.
2. I wasn't flaming. I was trying to talk some sense into you. Flaming is when you relentlessly badger someone for no reason... If what I said could be considered badgering... There was a reason.
3. It's obvious that you're not going to listen, weather it's an inability to understand, or desire not to understand. So I'll quit giving you attention... Now.

Hahaha, I love the "this isn't my petition so don't get yell at me" logic. You posted the damn thread. You obviously support the petition, what difference does it make if you started it or not. That's like saying it's not your fault for forwarding a chain email.

I think there should be a Half-life themed blog. L4D and TF2 get one, sure the HL one wouldn't have a post every week...but occasional concept art, game design ideas, environmental photography themes, tech demos etc. Something to keep people informed on single player development, since we are kept completely in the dark.

The blog concept wasn't on Valve's radar during the development of any of their HL games. Portal 2 on the other hand sits firmly between it all, without a similar blog platform. They keep us informed via gaming press enough and that won't change I suspect.

Anyway, I bargain on Valve announcing a big new project post Portal 2 launch as the PR wheel begins to turn again. We've waited 4 years, we can wait 2 more months. Although I have said that every year since episode 2...

We've waited 4 years, we can wait 2 more months.

4 more months* We're twiddling our thumbs till April now remember? I could see Valve using obscure messages in Portal 2 to kick off the Ep3 hype. If not, there's always E3.....

Portal 2 on the other hand sits firmly between it all, without a similar blog platform. They keep us informed via gaming press enough and that won't change I suspect.

que

http://www.thinkwithportals.com/

?

(this petition is an exercise in futility, Valve has their release schedules and they will stick to them (or push back release dates by several years, whatever is clever))

No it hurts to support stupidity. Valve will release info when they're ready. With HL2 they released information far too early and it backfired massively. They're not going to make the same mistakes again.

I do agree that internet petitions are often pretty stupid. But how did the early release of information actually backfire for Valve with regards to Half-Life 2? I still bought it. I bought into false hype. Sure, all my teeth fell out, my skin turned awful and I got pregnant in a restroom, but I was hooked!

Come on guys, there will be no Episode 3. The episodes failed to deliver as intended, by Valve's own admission. After 4 (or more) years, do you really expect an episode, with the same old assets, sounds and look&feel of HL2? Imo, it will be Half-Life 3.

I do agree that internet petitions are often pretty stupid. But how did the early release of information actually backfire for Valve with regards to Half-Life 2? I still bought it. I bought into false hype. Sure, all my teeth fell out, my skin turned awful and I got pregnant in a restroom, but I was hooked!
They released info too early. They released a load of gameplay videos and hyped it way too early. They announced the september date and hyped people for it. When the game got delayed all the hype died down and there was a lot less excitement at the actual time of release than there was a year and a month earlier. They also showed a load of things that ended up being cut from the game and basically hyped people for a load of features that ended up not being in the game. For a time after release there were threads everyone once and a while here asking where the Hydra was in HL2 because it had been the part of the game that they were most hyped for and it turns out it had been cut.

And of course there's the biozeminades.

Signs:
0tsFL.png

37 shouldn't take you long, so get crackin'!

Meh, I'm patiently waiting for EP3 / HL3 / Whatever. We'll see.

In the mean time, I think they should patch in hats to HL2. I'd play it more then.

They released info too early. They released a load of gameplay videos and hyped it way too early. They announced the september date and hyped people for it. When the game got delayed all the hype died down and there was a lot less excitement at the actual time of release than there was a year and a month earlier. They also showed a load of things that ended up being cut from the game and basically hyped people for a load of features that ended up not being in the game. For a time after release there were threads everyone once and a while here asking where the Hydra was in HL2 because it had been the part of the game that they were most hyped for and it turns out it had been cut.

And of course there's the biozeminades.

No I do realise that they made a lot of mistakes before they released. But I just don't think it actually backfired on them. I don't see that it really damaged them in any way. Lots of people were disapointed about various things, but most seemed to accept the game as it was when it came out; it wasn't what they were initially told it would be, but it was good enough for them to not care.

We got a small insight into the process of building the game.

I don't think they've handled information on Episode 3 very well at all. We've had years of essentially zero information. I just want them to tell us something. I'm not really following what Valve are doing anymore. This isn't some kind of protest or anything like that. I don't expect them or anyone else to care. I've just lost interest. I find that lack of information more disapointing than them releasing something and changing their minds. Like I said, it's a small insight into the process. That for me isn't really a bad thing.

I don't think they've handled information on Episode 3 very well at all. [...]
I find that lack of information more disapointing than them releasing something and changing their minds. Like I said, it's a small insight into the process. That for me isn't really a bad thing.

I agree. Leaving the fans in total darkness is not a good way to handle public relations. Episode 2 ends with a cliffhanger, then Lombardi promised something by 2008, then total silence. We don't ask for any kind of detail, but telling us about a roadmap, or plans, or something is long due.

Hectic Glenn

I agree! We need more information about HL Episode 3

Thats a good point. I find that i have definitely lost interst with lack of info. I still play hl and hl2 with the episodes everyonce in a awhile but i gave up a while ago hoping for some small nugget of a new game. HL has turned into the new duke nukem. They just now announced a date by a developer that is trusted recently, so compare valve's dev time to DNF, and we still got about another 5 years. So i'm getting used to waiting.

I agree. Leaving the fans in total darkness is not a good way to handle public relations. Episode 2 ends with a cliffhanger, then Lombardi promised something by 2008, then total silence. We don't ask for any kind of detail, but telling us about a roadmap, or plans, or something is long due.
Doug never promised anything. He said they "might" release info in some form by the end of the year ('08/'09, forget which), but never promised it.

Also I realize now that I've rezzed a month old thread. Gonna go suck my own dick brb.

Back