Weekly Steam News (29/07/05)

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Valve have just released their weekly news update over Steam. Unfortunately it won't be the news most of you were hoping before, but should make for an interesting read, nontheless:
A number of months ago the development team behind Half-Life 2: Capture the Flag challenged us to a match. The outcome of that match is still disputed, but it was a lot of fun, and hopefully fun for the community to watch. We’d love to play against the development teams of any multiplayer MODs out there.[br]
[br]
The gauntlet has been thrown down once again by the CTF team, and we're more than happy to meet the challenge. This time around, however, we'll be using SourceTV so the entire community can watch the match as it happens. This should eliminate any question as to the true victor.[br]
[br]
We're tentatively scheduled to do this in the next couple of weeks. Once we get closer to the main event we'll be letting everyone know how to connect to a SourceTV server and watch the match as it happens, along with the date and time. The CTF team has recently released version 1.5 of their game, so if you'd like to be more familiar with it before spectating, you can download it here.

[br]As usual, restart your Steam client to receive the news update, or if you don't have them enabled then click here.

what a flippin let down that was.

I don't care about some match with the CTF dev team.. I want info about DOD.. and lost coast FFS

WAHHHH WAHHHH WAHHHHH I thought you had to be 13 to register on this forum, all I see is a baby crying.

that was the f*kn most pointless update. (I actually closed my eyes after going to the hl2.net homepage just so I wouldnt have to see that stupid D.E.A.D. update for the 298765387684327609th time) I got all excited when i opened my eyes...then i read about a CTF match that i dont give a f*kin sh*t about....i hate you. I want Lost Coast.

How dare they release a news update and not say anything about Lost Coast....f*ck Valve.

I'd like an official CTF mod for HL2. Something similar along the lines of Q2 CTF, god that was fun!

Christ, where'd this sudden influx of whiners come from...

Patience young Padawans...

On topic; It's pretty cool Valve willing to play against mod developers, participating WITH the modding community.

Bet they're just unwilling to admit they got whipped. :LOL:

kontrol87 said:
How dare they release a news update and not say anything about Lost Coast....f*ck Valve.

Godsdamn right. Who the hell are they to decide what goes into thier own updates...

SimonomiS - Did you not know? Today is national "whiney bitch" day

It's been whiney bitch day for the last few years hasn't it? :p

DiSTuRbEd said:
WAHHHH WAHHHH WAHHHHH I thought you had to be 13 to register on this forum, all I see is a baby crying.
hahhahaha

Sounds like they ran out of stuff to write for the weekly update, so they decided to post useless information just as they were leaving the office. :p

Not necessarily useless info...
It tells us that they are participating with the modding community.

It's always cool to see the game devs playing with the community.

My god, I am officially done with halflife2.net. It's a real shame too, because it's a fantastic site. I just can't deal with all the stupid whining shitheads around here. How many game developers give you a weekly update of what's going on after they release their game??

Don't bother answering, 'cause I won't read it.

Cool.

Decided to give it another shot (haven't played this in a while, last i played was pretty dodgy)

It's ok. Maps are kinda boring. I was expecting something a little more exciting, more imaginative. This felt like same old hl2 with flags. Easy to get lost for the new people, and would be nice if their were arrows pointing in the direction of flags. Especially when the areas and textures are so redundant.

Now, huge levels, 40 players, with vehicles would be pretty sweet.

Valve: "Let's recap what we've been doing this week: We played Half-Life 2 mods." <BIG><BIG>WTF.</BIG></BIG>

Lol nah it's not a big deal to me because I don't give a shit about Lost Coast. If it never sees the light of day, I couldn't care less. If it comes out, then great. Valve should have never brought up this project until they were 93% finished or better, because look at all the impatient (or patiently frustrated) people who are jonesin' for it. It's just a techdemo/add-on level.

My god, I am officially done with halflife2.net. It's a real shame too, because it's a fantastic site. I just can't deal with all the stupid whining shitheads around here. How many game developers give you a weekly update of what's going on after they release their game??

But you do deal with it anyways, don't you? Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out drama queen.

HybridM said:

err whos whining now:rolleyes:

Anyway, yeah its a pointless update but if it wasnt for time zone differences I might have had a look "just cos". Agree with someone above, they announced lost coast too early or gave the impression it would be available soon, the same mistake they have made so, so many times. Sometimes the weekly updates make this worse since people are coiunting each update between news they actually care about. ahh well, sometimes less is more Valve.

Now alot of people will probably be disapointed as this has become so hyped by valve and the community when all it really is is one extra level, and since the HL2 ones took about 30mins to beat each that may not equate to alot of game time. We'll see.

SimonomiS said:
Bet they're just unwilling to admit they got whipped. :LOL:

Valve never ceases to surprise me. What other company accepts challanges to play a mod. of their own game, with someone else, right out of the blue? Zip!

Those guys know how to have fun! :bounce:

... I wonder if there's an open position for a CLI developer there.

And to those whining, keep the wise (heh!) words of Arnold Schwarzenegger in mind: "Stop whining!"

Off-topic: Don't you think Arnold's last name is rather unappropriate for being the governer of California (for all you German speaking people out there)?

I want a developer that releases weekly updates and supports the modding community...

Oh wait

guchi said:
I want a developer that releases weekly updates and supports the modding community...

Oh wait
Yeah that would be nice. So we can whine about it.

I know I bitch about Lost Coast quite a lot but I would like to put my view clearly.

I do not object to Valve taking their time making this level, they can have as long as they want as far as im concerned.

What I do object to however is the BS they feed us every while, I mean I do remember Valve stating live on TV that Lost Coast would come out in two weeks (that was in about May) and look where we are now, Valve please if you release a date for Lost Coast if you are going to quite obviously lie about when its coming out add to end coming out in 2 weeks +- 1 year. I thought you have learned your lesson from Half Life 2, but obviously not. Please fire the toddler you have deciding your release dates.

Dowie100.

Dowie said:
What I do object to however is the BS they feed us every while, I mean I do remember Valve stating live on TV that Lost Coast would come out in two weeks (that was in about May) and look where we are now, Valve please if you release a date for Lost Coast if you are going to quite obviously lie about when its coming out add to end coming out in 2 weeks +- 1 year. I thought you have learned your lesson from Half Life 2, but obviously not. Please fire the toddler you have deciding your release dates.

Maybe I'm the only one not seeing a damn release date, you people think when they say "hoping for xxx" is a release date, it is not.

DiSTuRbEd said:
Maybe I'm the only one not seeing a damn release date, you people think when they say "hoping for xxx" is a release date, it is not.

Did you watch the TV interview, "Lost Coast is coming out in a couple of weeks" May 2005.

Definition of a couple, if you dont get it, A Couple=2. We are now about 30 weeks on.

Dowie said:
Did you watch the TV interview, "Lost Coast is coming out in a couple of weeks" May 2005.

Definition of a couple, if you dont get it, A Couple=2. We are now about 30 weeks on.

Thats not a release date, thats a vague estimation. Like I said you people blow things way the **** out of proportion when they say small things like that. No one here can ever just wait till its done, its ALWAYS BITCHING.

Dowie said:

In America the word "couple" isn't strictly defined as two. That's more of a UK English thing. So what they said was "a few weeks". And still, it's not a concrete promise, within games development stuff always comes up that means something can't be released yet.

Dowie said:

Yeah, you know it's Valve producing this right? Are you new to experiancing delays from Valve? :rolleyes:

Chillax, man.

In news people wan't to hear...
progress is running fairly well on DOD and the Lost Coast.
things have been moving along but there is nothing big tp report so here is another screne shot to show how HDR will improve graphics...
i don't care for news posts like that.
nor do i care for this news... but why should i complain?

Donkey, stick, carrot.. Now children - can we all say it together? Who has bought their nice shiny new ATi gfx card like a good little donkey?

Soon as that counter hits the right sales figure on X800s or whatever - valve will release it.. So everyone - BUY MORE GFX CARDS!!! Yeah!!!! errr.. okay then.

Until then shut up about lost coast - you can't have it until that counter reaches X hundred thousand units!!!

Feath said:
In America the word "couple" isn't strictly defined as two. That's more of a UK English thing. So what they said was "a few weeks". And still, it's not a concrete promise, within games development stuff always comes up that means something can't be released yet.

Really? I always thought of 'couple' as meaning two and only two(unless you take the other definition of the word which means 'attach'). A 'few' is a little more ambiguous but for me 'couple' alway meant two. However if you're talking Lombardi time units then a 'couple' ranges anywhere from 2 to 200.

Back