What are the default rates for CS:Source?

colson

Reaction score
Hi I was just playing some server and the stupid thing f**ked with my rates. I forget what the default ones are to change it back to. I was hoping one of you guys would know and tell me. Thanks for the help.

Don't they vary, depending on the network settings you have in steam?

Yes. The defaults I know are:
rate 8000 (or 10000 :p)
cl_cmdrate 30

Default for me is 16000 30 20 but tbh you can usually raise them quite a lot without lag, atm mine are 50000 200 100

Rippedsteel said:
Default for me is 16000 30 20 but tbh you can usually raise them quite a lot without lag, atm mine are 50000 200 100
You'd be getting so much Choke there (Or is it loss? I get those mixed up).
Highest a server can handle is about 25000, 100, 100. You're just sending unneeded packets, which is lame.

Rates are goverend by the speed of your line ? so yeah stema should detect them automatically i use
rate 20000 in console

coLE' said:
Rates are goverend by the speed of your line ? so yeah stema should detect them automatically i use
rate 20000 in console
Nah rates are governed by what connection speed you set steam to in the options menu, that's why if it defaults back to 56k it'll set your rates lower and you'll also lag to death if you're on broadband because it's not letting any more packets through.

Ah so basically rates are proportional? EG:

Line speed =56k set it to 56K = 20k default rates

changing one makes them fluctuate or summat ?

dekstar said:
You'd be getting so much Choke there (Or is it loss? I get those mixed up).

I occasionally get a small bit of one or the other, but tbh it works very well usually (I'm on a 2.2mb connection) the idea being that if someone says something along the lines of "my bullets don't hit you" I can basically tell them it's not my effing problem...

coLE' said:
Ah so basically rates are proportional? EG:

Line speed =56k set it to 56K = 20k default rates

changing one makes them fluctuate or summat ?
well yeah, but for a 56k modem, then you'll be looking at more 7000 rate. IIRC that equals about 0.7kb/s or something of packetsworth being sent and recieved.

Unfortunately, setting your conection speed in the steam options menu doesn't always set the rates right. Also, if you set above 20000 100 100 the server just ignores your values and uses the maximum values.

rofl. commands are...

rate 25000
cl_updaterate 100
cl_cmdrate 100

Thats just an example but feel free to wack that in your autoexec.cfg

So if you set your rates to those of a 56k, you could dodge bullets with all the lag and pwn all?

No, you could dodge bullets with all the lag and not hit anyone else with all the lag :p

Rippedsteel said:
No, you could dodge bullets with all the lag and not hit anyone else with all the lag :p
QFT. Popular myth that settings your rates low will make people not hit you, but maintain your accuracy. Best bet is to set your rates to exactly that of your opponent. If they're beating people with lower rates, they'll have trouble hitting someone with their rates.

Back