What are your opinions regarding evolution

What is your opinion on life

• Evolved without any supernatural interventions

Votes: 46 88.5%
  • Theistic Evolution: God set the universe in motion, with no influence on life therafter

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Old Earth Creationist: Life evolved over 4 Billion years, but God played an intergral part

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Young Earth Creationist: God created all life 6-10 thousand years ago

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I did not include Intelligent Design as it is neither a scientific nor a theological standpoint on life, but rather a legal manifesto set out to validate supernatural explanations within the science classes of the U.S. public education system.

I'm provided four clear choices which I think will provide the best breath that for this question. Let's stay clear of discussing I.D. as it is intentionally nebulous and vacuous in the hopes of passing the First Amendment.

I'd much rather see people offer their own personal opinions rather than bashing/promoting talking points from any camp.

I'll not argue anything until the general consensus is "DEBATE!", so my vote is in for pure evolution.

Evolution 100 percent, nothing supernatural for "I have no need of that hypothesis."

what you're basically saying here is "are you a materialist, deist, liberal theist or fundamentalist?"

Evolved with supernatatural origion. No evidence that God did anything to us in evolution.

Evolution without supernatural intervention/origins.

Young Earch Creationsit, the earth is less then 6 thousand years old and God has a part in everything we do. What other conclusion could u come to?

Young Earch Creationsit, the earth is less then 6 thousand years old and God has a part in everything we do. What other conclusion could u come to?

Proof: this banana perfectly fits in my hand :O

Peanuts may or may not have two nuts. Humans may or may not have two nuts. Coincidence? I think not!

Obviously evolution with no supernatural influence.

Absolute Evolution, without Supernatural Causes.

Evolved without any supernatural interventions. Unless it could be cool stuff like cosmic rays or a gamma bomb.

Evolution 100 percent, nothing supernatural for "I have no need of that hypothesis."

what you're basically saying here is "are you a materialist, deist, liberal theist or fundamentalist?"
Was it Guass who said that to Napoleon?
And I agree with theotherguy.

"Evolved without any supernatural interventions", of course.

That's the only theory among them, all the others are hypothesis, except for the last one, which is just silly.

I'm advocate of the gene-centered view of evolution. Without any supernatural interventions, of course.
BTW, my epic 1000th post.

Theistic Evolution: God set the universe in motion, with no influence on life there after

Certainly some force set the universe in motion/re big bang, so I guess it can be considered a creator of kinds, though whether it was sentient is another matter entirely. Though if God plays no further role in the events that take place in the universe anyhows, being sentient or not is a moot point. So whatever force created the universe, sentient or not could be viewed as a god, though not one likely to listen to your prayers. Still one could thank it for ones existence.

Anything can be viewed as a god in that perspective.....people have trouble trying to concieve something coming from nothing, but the very fact that we exist is proof that it can happen. You can say God created everything, and someone could say "what created god?" Then they can say god created himself. Creationists argue until they have no more points, then they just say God operates outside the world of rules and matter....

Anything can be viewed as a god in that perspective.....people have trouble trying to concieve something coming from nothing, but the very fact that we exist is proof that it can happen. You can say God created everything, and someone could say "what created god?" Then they can say god created himself. Creationists argue until they have no more points, then they just say God operates outside the world of rules and matter....
I don't believe in literal 6 day creationism, but this is something that bugs me. God doesn't need a creator, He is an eternal being, existing outside of time.

Must be pretty boring for him. Immensly so if he created us nublets.

I don't believe in literal 6 day creationism, but this is something that bugs me. God doesn't need a creator, He is an eternal being, existing outside of time.

But something can't come from nothing! Something had to make God!

You can't argue that there has to be a beginning point to the universe and then exempt God from the very laws you've defined. What's the rationale? What's the point? How do you know? I find it awfully convenient that the natural laws of our universe suddenly stop applying when we start venturing into God territory.

I don't understand what it's supposed to mean, either. It's far too easy to say he, she, or it exists outside of time or space, because nobody can seem to give a straight answer of what that entails. It's so ambiguous and vague that it should be considered a "get out of jail free" card whenever discussions start turning awry.

You can't argue that there has to be a beginning point to the universe and then exempt God from the very laws you've defined. What's the rationale? What's the point? How do you know? I find it awfully convenient that the natural laws of our universe suddenly stop applying when we start venturing into God territory.

I don't understand what it's supposed to mean, either. It's far too easy to say he, she, or it exists outside of time or space, because nobody can seem to give a straight answer of what that entails. It's so ambiguous and vague that it should be considered a "get out of jail free" card whenever discussions start turning awry.

Last time I had the morons from the Christian Life Centre on the doorstep they brought up this exact argument.

It's hard to give a straight answer because it's impossible to comprehend based on our own perspective.
I'll grant that the universe could have always existed, but we all know this is BS, and the universe has existed for the past ~13 billion years.
Did something exist before that or is that when time began? We just don't know.

It's hard to give a straight answer because it's impossible to comprehend based on our own perspective.
I'll grant that the universe could have always existed, but we all know this is BS, and the universe has existed for the past ~13 billion years.
Did something exist before that or is that when time began? We just don't know.

Well, yes. That it's incomprehensible to us is kind of my point. If nobody can claim to have an objective understanding of it, then how can anybody feel they can confidently say what God's relationship with it is? I don't understand how somebody can admit they don't know, yet still say with seeming confidence what God's nature of existence is, even if vaguely.

Yeah, the idea of the universe having always existed is BS. But the alternative of an eternal god has far, far less going for it.

These kind of threads = not just playing with matches, but soaking them in gasoline first.

You get a cookie if you can tell me what film thats from :E

Now this is why everyone should read the new Scientists.

The fact is, there are several sensible Scientific and quite often Mind-Blowing theories as to where our universe came from, none of them envoke god.

Back