What could Half Life 3 bring ?

Gemini

Spy
Reaction score
So Ive just had a look at the Half Life 2 tech demo. And Ive started thinking, what could Half Life 3 bring? What would it be, that it would be so revolutionairy?

Graphical fidelity WITH REALY GOOD optimization, different weapons/ gameplay aspects, better animations aand awesome story?

Graphical fidelity WITH REALY GOOD optimization, different weapons/ gameplay aspects, better animations aand awesome story?

Yeah, but that still isnt all that revolutionairy. Possibly the Gameplay aspects, something new, like the gravity gun for HL2.

Native Linux support at the engine level? Wasn't there a new (old now) video of some things Valve was doing with, I'm not sure how to describe it... dynamic vector fields? A bunch of birds or bats were flying around in a cathedral or something. They raised a pretty high bar with their previous engine. Even more facial muscles? Better shadows, physics, AI? I'm not sure what new features I would even ask for; I'd be focusing on smoother animation and textures.

edit - here it is:

I bet Valve has been asking themselves the same question for a few years now.

• Graphical evolution: obligatorically
  • A.I.: maybe natural behaviour?
  • Physics: maybe more changing enivronments
  • Story-lining: maybe more non-linear?
  • Networking: eventually some revolutionary coop concepting, that has not been thought of in conventional ego-shooters yet?
  • Story editor: Combining key elements, story-line scripting?
  • In the end: None of the above except the first point ;)
  • Final chapter(s) to the preceding episodes, completion to former story (G-Man's function in all this, ...)

I see a lot of great ideas here, but honestly I have no idea what kind of improvements will exist in the gaming world when my grandchildren are old enough to play games...

Liquid and gas physics, completely destructible
Environment, top of the line physics, objects with actual core molecular structure, self learning AI, no scripted Events completely real time, real time lighting, 100's more citizen and rebel and zombie models, etc.

Liquid and gas physics, completely destructible
Environment, top of the line physics, objects with actual core molecular structure, self learning AI, no scripted Events completely real time, real time lighting, 100's more citizen and rebel and zombie models, etc.

and with what kind of combine computer you would play this, this... I'm out of words :confused:

The gravity gun and crowbar are getting a little old, maybe replace them with an M4 and an AK, and the game also needs more quick time events. Also dialogue trees. And multiple endings. And RPG elements. And a huge multiplayer campaign.

The gravity gun and crowbar are getting a little old, maybe replace them with an M4 and an AK, and the game also needs more quick time events. Also dialogue trees. And multiple endings. And RPG elements. And a huge multiplayer campaign.

don't forget about cut scenes in both singleplayer and multiplayer

If they can pull it off well enough, all I really want is dynamically loading maps, to completely eliminate loading screens once the game is loaded up. Quantum Conundrum pulled this off, but it was optimized very poorly.

don't forget about cut scenes in both singleplayer and multiplayer

and it should be an open world game, full of side quests to do

If they can pull it off well enough, all I really want is dynamically loading maps, to completely eliminate loading screens once the game is loaded up. Quantum Conundrum pulled this off, but it was optimized very poorly.

That would be awesome

the ability for the game to gradually load the next section of the game as you play(so you would only need to load the game once)

and it should be an open world game, full of side quests to do

But the whole point of HL2's maps were to give you the illusion of free choice by making the maps look huge with tons of different ways to get around, but really you're just stuck on a linear path through the entirety of the game.

Making hl3 open world would contradict what hl1 and hl2 set up.

The idea of open world looks good on paper: The universe of HL is so rich and it would be a pleasure to explore a big world. However HL has a lot of platform/puzzle aspects, and it's hard to imagine a good mix between Platform/Puzzle and Open World... But it's not impossible... Or maybe the best would be a semi-Open World: Open when story oriented, Linear when action.​

But the whole point of HL2's maps were to give you the illusion of free choice by making the maps look huge with tons of different ways to get around, but really you're just stuck on a linear path through the entirety of the game.

Making hl3 open world would contradict what hl1 and hl2 set up.

I was just kidding lol

My expectations for Half-Life 3 are set to the same expectations that valve has set. The best game EVER.

Hopefully sooner than later though :) .

I hope Source 2 will have this kind of deformable engine:

That would be awesome if you were willing to put up with loading screens every five steps.

Well, okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. Source 2 does look extremely good, and may be what Valve has been developing for HL2:E3.

Well, okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. Source 2 does look extremely good, and may be what Valve has been developing for HL2:E3.

Half-Life 3. Not Episode 3. Episode 3 doesn't exist, and never will.

No no no no. This is the problem with FPS games these days. Too many goddamn assault rifles which all do the same thing. I think we need more weapon variety, because having a million ****ing Assault Rifles is starting to get real boring. I'm fine with just the AR2 (Or maybe an AR3 in HL3?) and the SMG (I think changing this would be better than removing the gravity gun for more ****ing assault rifles).

Half-Life 3. Not Episode 3. Episode 3 doesn't exist, and never will.

I would have to disagree with you on that. The episodes are collectively aimed at becoming a full HL3, so if Valve does release HL3 instead of Episode 3, it will be a bit of a turnaround.

I would have to disagree with you on that. The episodes are collectively aimed at becoming a full HL3, so if Valve does release HL3 instead of Episode 3, it will be a bit of a turnaround.

They weren't "becoming a full HL3", they were simply created in its place, but that doesn't mean you skip to Half-Life 4.

At the current time, there is no evidence to suggest Episode 3 exists, but there is plenty for HL3.

*Wraps arm around Gemini and holds the other in the air* New graphics, better physics, new weapons, better mechanics, more glitches to be fixed, a few new characters, trains, water, mini-Striders, many, many other things, even new/newer zombies!
XJFb6K3.png
Also, my "Best Award" for everyone since they had some good ideas! ...It sucks, doesn't it?

Well since it's going to take place in Antarctica, because of borealis and the ending of HL2:EP2, I think there might be some winter desert environments. I think this would be a great orpputinity of exploring with a buggy or something. It would also be a great oppurtinity to be a little bit more open, than previous HL2 games.

There might be some underground combine bases too? And wrecked rebel bases, and we might have to rescue Dr Mossman with Alex? I dunno, just some thoughts.

Back