What happens if HL2 is crap ?

simmo

Tank
Reaction score
lol...I was just thinking about Unreal 2, about them over hyping it, and when it came out it faced crappy reviews and a small fan base....what if that happens with HL2 ?...god ill be p****d.

(But hey! its valve! so that will never happen :D)

What will you do/think if HL2 is really crappy, (even though it wont be :D)

I will be really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really disappointed ;(

I would pinch myself to wake myself up from an unfortunate nightmare, head down the shops and pick up a copy of the greatest game available, yes thats HL2. :)

well

by the looks of the videos, its the new generation of gaming. Its kinda creepily real. Everything reacts like it should....

People saw valve play it so how crappy can it be? :cheese:

Just from what we've seen in the videos, it's hard to believe the game will utterly suck. It might have an atrocious ending, or the plot might be too weird / too cliché / too something-else, but it really seems unlikely that the gameplay will be rotten.

And hey - there's always Counterstrike 2.

Like I said before, from what I've seen, the only thing that could bring the GAME down is the possibility of bad acting/line reading. That's because they've made these characters look so real that people are going to start judging them against real human actors, which is a very high bar to set. However, nothing so far looks that bad at all: Alyx seems like a slighty overdramatic hunchback, but doesn't really seem annoying from what I've seen. And the actual gameplay parts look like they can't go wrong. Heck, I'd pay 50$ just to get the engine to fool aorund with the tech demo stuff: even without an actual game attached.

However, one thing I REALLY want to know is whether they've solved the "invicible main characters" syndrome that marred games like DeusEx and NOLF. Basically, if people like Alyx and Barney are going to have major roles to play in the plot, then what happens if you try to kill them? Are they going to shrug off my bullets and live through rocket launches? Is the game going to unrealistically end for no reason? Will something intercede?

The first thing I do when I meet Alyx is save the game, and see if it will allow me to kill her without ending the game and saying "YOU KILLED ALYX!"

I imagine they'll have to do SOMETHING interesting to protect the G-Man, because players are going to want to try and kill him right away too. In Half-life, he was totally unkillable, which was kinda dumb, because it wasn't a realistic sort of unkillable, like he had a sheild or something: he just never dies from your blows (and makes metal sounds when you hit him with the crowbar). Maybe all the rooms you meet him in have powerful autoturrents that turn on you the second you try to hurt him. Or he's always behind bullet-proof glass.

I can't think of any realistic solutions for a game (because in real life, you really CAN kill anyone, and life continues on with the consequences of that act playing out), but maybe Valve has come up with something.

If HL2 turns out to be a crap game (which is unlikely), you'd still have an awesome game engine to mod or make maps for.

If all else fails, there's always Doom3. :cheese:

The first thing I do when I meet Alyx is save the game, and see if it will allow me to kill her without ending the game and saying "YOU KILLED ALYX!"

So, whats wrong with that? I don't mind an unrealistic ending saying "GAME OVER, press any key to load your last auto-save"

It's still just a game.

And I agree with Hammer and ParaBellum, if the game turns out to be crap (which seems very unlikely) there's still the mod community.

One thing's for certain, the story may suck but the Source engine can in no way disapoint me.

Aah.. /imagines DoD and CS on HL2 engine. :)

So, whats wrong with that? I don't mind an unrealistic ending saying "GAME OVER, press any key to load your last auto-save"

Because it's arbitrary. Like Gabe said on the interview, it's like you're going along, immersed in this world, and suddenly, the designer steps in and says "no!!! you can't do that!" It breaks the feel of the game world. I shouldn't have to "know" that the universe will end if I accidentally shoot some character I just met, even by accident.

The cool thing could be that, even if you kill, lets say, alyx, and even if she's a VIP the story will just take another turn...now that would be nice ;)

think about it.... if you kill alyx while that scientist looks at you, he will run and the thing he is making wont be able to help you at all, and it will decrease in difficulty, and so on :)

Originally posted by Nostradamus
The cool thing could be that, even if you kill, lets say, alyx, and even if she's a VIP the story will just take another turn...now that would be nice ;)

think about it.... if you kill alyx while that scientist looks at you, he will run and the thing he is making wont be able to help you at all, and it will decrease in difficulty, and so on :)

um.. why kill her.. just kill the scientist dude.

Sure, but that takes an incredible amount of forethough in the design. Like, if you meet her father later, he has to be mad that you killed her, and other people have to play her roles, and so on...

I will kill Valve if Hl2 is crap :borg:

I hope HL2 is not going to be another Unreal 2, which has good graphics and SH***Y gameplay :sniper:

Originally posted by figge

I will kill Valve if Hl2 is crap :borg:

Remember, every one has their own opinions.
HL2 won't please all.....only 97% of all the gamers in the world ;)

Originally posted by Dax
Remember, every one has their own opinions.
HL2 won't please all.....only 97% of all the gamers in the world ;)

If Hl2 ownz i will kill 3% of the gamers in the world :dozey:

Well, if it's crap, the mod community will reverse that (hopefully) and keep if alive.

Yeah, it would be very cool if the game took that kinda turn.

Would be fun to play it without saving, difficult too, but say you were fighting alongside Alyx or Barney, and they got killed, thats an ally gone for the rest of the game now.

Or you accidently shoot a major story-linked scientist, such as Dr. Eli.

What would be ultra cool, is if you were truely in Gordon's shoes, and could change sides if you wanted (ie. Kill Alyx, Barney and the resistance, and side with the Combine :E). Now that would just be super realistic.

Originally posted by Dave
Yeah, it would be very cool if the game took that kinda turn.

Would be fun to play it without saving, difficult too, but say you were fighting alongside Alyx or Barney, and they got killed, thats an ally gone for the rest of the game now.

Or you accidently shoot a major story-linked scientist, such as Dr. Eli.

What would be ultra cool, is if you were truely in Gordon's shoes, and could change sides if you wanted (ie. Kill Alyx, Barney and the resistance, and side with the Combine :E). Now that would just be super realistic.

Join the side that pays the best :dork:

Aye, but it might happen in HL3, or a mod for HL2.

I'm pretty sure games are gonna start getting much more realistic with the releases of Doom 3 and HL2. This is the beginning of a exciting (but potentially scary) future for games.

I think it's more likely that Valve didn't bother animating the 'hit' or 'dying' animations, since, unless you cheat, or use a mod, you never get a chance to shoot him or anything, well maybe a few times, but I think thats just some points where Valve underestimated the player's ability to get to such and such a place quick enough to fire off a few shots at him.

Of course your theory may be correct, though. :)

For some people it wont matter one bit if it sucks or not.
whats going to make or break HL2 is the modding possibilities.

I bought Unreal2 based on what seemed like (at the time) excelent modding potential. I only played the game itself for a few hours. Unfortunatly the editor is unstable and there are too many other problems and missing features to make it good for what I wanted to do.

I'm planning to buy HL2 not because I'm dying to play Gordan Freeman again, but because it seems like the right platform to mod with. Modding is what has made HL such a success.

If HL2 is great (which I belive it will be) but the modding sucks(which I doubt) it'll sell great for a while and fade away in 18-24 months or so.

If HL2 gameplay/plot sucks but the modding capability is great it will see longterm sales for several years just like the origional and its expansions (professional mods) are still selling.

Thats my take on things, and I may be wrong (but I dont think so).

The Punisher

Originally posted by Apos
I imagine they'll have to do SOMETHING interesting to protect the G-Man, because players are going to want to try and kill him right away too. In Half-life, he was totally unkillable, which was kinda dumb, because it wasn't a realistic sort of unkillable, like he had a sheild or something: he just never dies from your blows (and makes metal sounds when you hit him with the crowbar).

That's because he's a robot working for the aliens. :)

IMO theres no way hl2 can be crap.. its imposible
so this discussion is pointless

;)

Nonsense!

Hey,man!
What are you F.ucking talking about,that's completely insane!!
No way Half-Life2 will like Unreal2,Half-Life2 own all that Unreal2 lacks!

If halflife 2 sucks well... its time for russian rullet with a semi-automatic weapon. I hope i can take out G-man, i think he is a robot and controls gordens mind!

Based on screenshots and the E3 tech video I think it maybe GOTY. If it were to be a crap game I'd get pissed, possibly go apeshit here in the forums :devil:. Hopefully, a good mod will cheer us up :bounce:.

hehe yea too bad about unreal 2 really :/

but I dont really think it will happen with HL2... I mean they started 5 years ago :eek:

I think they will get this one right :)

however.... maybe they cant beat the HUGE expectations as always....
:cool:

IMPOSSIBLEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5 years working on HL2 cant be crap !!!!!!! they know that 90% of gamers are waiting for this game and its going to be the best game ever. Will happen the same like with hl was, great game, and mods !!!!

yeah, games are too unrealistic even with the leaps and bounds hl2 is taking

i want my comp to grow arms

why? so it can strap on some boxing gloves and try to kick my ass
BRING IT ON CHIPPY IM READY

Haha, hl2 is just a joke.. When 30 september arrives VALVe will laugh you right in the face ;)

btw Jager nice hl logo you have in your specs :eek: Just noticed that ;D

Originally posted by Apos

If Valve is smart they will allow you to kill Alyx without the screen fading to black and saying "You killed Alyx- Reloading Last Saved Game".

The evil twist should be you kill her and the game keeps going but you can never complete the game because you need her to move on further. But you can't figure it out until after meandering around the same map for a couple of hours.

That way I can point and laugh at everyone who posts in message boards "Hey guys I killed Alyx what do I do next I am stuck?"

Hey in real life you could kill someone and mess up your the rest of your life. Perhaps they should make it where you can kill someone but you mess up the rest of the game?

I can hear the n00bs already complaining about it. Damned if you do damned if you don't. I say damn them instead.

In Half-life, he (Gman) was totally unkillable, which was kinda dumb,

What would have been dumb is if you could kill him. Then he shows up in HL2. Then you kill him and he shows up in HL3.

The only thing to do is take out all characters in a game and go back to games like Doom where you just killed everything then there will be no more unrealistic restrictions or plot inconsistancies.

As far as HL2 sucking, if the game does suck (very minute chance) I can garuntee the MOD community will create something for the gamers to enjoy.

i would laugh my ass off if gordon accidentally shoots her and says something like "oh god....no....no what have i done!" then you see him lying in a therapists chair and the doctor is like tell me more about your past gordon

oh.....why is laughing better than anything else in the world

Back