What is your speed?

I swear this thread has been bumped since 2007 before this.

This is my speed at work. A computer repair shop. It ****ing kills me.
2731479059.png

Had 1 Mb/s down until last week. I can't believe I lived on that in this day and age, sucks knowing there are people with even shittier choices though.

2731570992.png

Now that's informative!

Yet for some reason youtube often has problems streaming 720p video without pausing (not saying my DL speed is high, but it should be high enough)

720p videos on youtube are under 1.5mb/s bitrate, so yeah you should be able to. But lots of people have problems streaming it despite having the bandwidth, I guess due to certain servers on their CDN being slow.

Brazilian internets is 'spensive?

yup,it shouldn't really be that expensive, but taxes here are so high, and governamental regulation services are so ineffective that companies usually don't give a single **** about their costumers. wich results in really unstable connection and unfriendly prices.
and legally they are only obliged to actually provide 20% of the contracted conection speed.

720p videos on youtube are under 1.5mb/s bitrate, so yeah you should be able to. But lots of people have problems streaming it despite having the bandwidth, I guess due to certain servers on their CDN being slow.
When I had my 1Mbit connection, it took 30 seconds to load 5 seconds of youtube's 720p video.

2733467031.png

Complete BS.

Takes ages to buffer a 5 minute Youtube video at 1080p.

[Edit] Apparently Youtube servers suck...

When will people realize its not about your service's speed, but youtube's shitty ****ing servers, like Veggeta said? I have a 25Mb/s connection and I have to refresh youtube after about 2 minutes to restart the buffer when watching 1080p video. Even when watching 720p the video will catch up to the buffer and I need to wait. If I watch it in 480p a 10 minute video will fully buffer in like 30-60 seconds

When will people realize its not about your service's speed, but youtube's shitty ****ing servers, like Veggeta said?
When will YOU realize that my name is spelled with ONE g. You never listen to me.

Yet for some reason I have no problem loading youtube videos at work. It's as if YT looked at your speed and always used only a certain percentage of it. I'll check tomorrow what my speed at work is.

Yet for some reason I have no problem loading youtube videos at work. It's as if YT looked at your speed and always used only a certain percentage of it. I'll check tomorrow what my speed at work is.

Or just because theres less traffic on youtube while you're at work.
like here somethimes i can watch 360p videos with no worries and fast buffering, but theres times that i can't even use 144p without waiting at least 5x the total time of the video to buffer.

I doubt it's to do with time.

Just because you're at work, doesn't mean little Timmy isn't clogging up the airwaves at 9pm in his own timezone.

Like right now, it's almost 1am. That's almost 1pm in Australia for example (or 12 or something). Are they on the net looking at Youtube? Possibly.

Google just need to beef up the servers.

I've been able to stream 1080p or any other quality with my current speed on youtube. I do know that it only allows a buffer up to a certain point too. For example, if you start a 10 minute video and pause it, it doesn't load the rest of the video.

That seems to vary from video to video. Just like everything else on youtube.

I use proxfree to stream YouTube. It seems that my ISP is throttling the connection.

2739987211.png

Sometimes my upload goes a little haywire when I stream though, I should probably look into that.

I have really bad speed due to an extreme infrared router.
2742471089.png

EDIT: apparently I have extremely good internet compared to everyone else but stigmata D:...

Fast. That's all you need to know.

mach

It's actually 0 at the moment. My roomate and I are switching from Charter to At&t and they wont be out to hook it up until the 10th. Until then, free wifi spots and the generosity of friends.

That's a good switch. Charter sucks to the max. They advertise the fastest Internet speeds but their service is terrible.

The wifi with comcast is retarded. It's only getting 50% of the speed I get via ethernet. The installation guy just shrugged "that's how it is everywhere." At least 50% of 50Mbps is still plenty fast.

Get a different router? The service itself shouldn't have any effect on wifi vs. ethernet.

The wifi with comcast is retarded. It's only getting 50% of the speed I get via ethernet. The installation guy just shrugged "that's how it is everywhere." At least 50% of 50Mbps is still plenty fast.
Hrm, I just ran mine over wifi with my phone and I get 14Mbps which is about half too. Oddly, my upload speed is almost exactly the same. I am, however, in the second floor, with the router in the basement.

But yeah, a better router will fix this, better service won't have any effect.

Back