what's the problem?!

H2HSnake

Reaction score
OK everyone remembers how valve was talking about simple tools to port HL mods to Source,if it's so easy why there's no HL mod ported already? it's 3 months since we have HL2 right?.Some mods would be much more fun on the new engine even without new content (that could be added in the near future)...are these tools not released yet?

1) maybe nobody wants to yet

2) maybe they would rather remake it than simply port it after the bad reception HL1:Source has got for being a simple port

3) busy working on new mods entirely to bother doing ports

4) people who made the originals may have lives and not be interested in porting old games now

5) it might be easy but its not exactly point and click and your done. Still requires work, you take things as read far too strictly

6) you'd need the original files in most cases, they may no longer exist, especially the case of the maps.

I could port my old HL mod (Eradicators) over in a matter of days. However, it'd look exactly like the HL version, so what would be the point?

If I were to redo all the maps, models and textures and implement all the new features that are possible with the HL2 codebase, it'd take several months and would be a totally different mod.

The only reason Valve made it easy to port old mods in this manner was to give modders a headstart.

I think one reason is that most HL1 mods are still working on the next version for HL1, rather than porting it. Maybe wait until they have a new version out before they port.

Back