What's with the death sound of the guards

S

Surfer2374

What's with the high pitch sound that is made everytime you kill a guard. Is this some kind of bug or what? I'm assuming it isn't but just wondering why Valve decided to put that sound in.

i think its their radio beeping, and telling the rest of the guys he went down, or where he is, or something =P

Surfer2374 said:
What's with the high pitch sound that is made everytime you kill a guard. Is this some kind of bug or what? I'm assuming it isn't but just wondering why Valve decided to put that sound in.

The Combine wear some kind of armor that monitors their heartbeat. Upon their death, the high-pitched ping that you hear would be their heartbeat stopping. It's a good guess anyway, right?

and Dr Kliener made gordons suit pick it up, to let him know when he got one

I've always taken it to be that their vitals are monitored and that's the sound of them flatlining.

If you stop to listen to the radio transmissions that ensue afterwards, you hear the dispatcher letting other units know of that very fact and to lend assistance or whatever. Pretty cool, IMHO.

Well Gordons HEV suit monitors his health why not the Combine?

Combine sounds

The sound the combine make I would assume are, as others have said, their hearts stopping. If you listen to the guards they announce "man down" and other things of that nature, they communicate and its cool. Also if you hear a combine yell "overwatch overwatch" that means he is the only one left, charge him!

I think it's to know their dead. They heartbeat monitor or something.

i loved all the sounds the combine made, sitting behind a corner and listening to the talk was great. perfect on the sound valve! :thumbs:

yeah, the combine voices are awesome. probably one of my favorite aspects of the game.

It seems that their chatter gives away a lot of their movements, if you listen closely...

Too bad they talk like they're all from Alabama, named Bubba, and serving time in prison.

Irish_PSU said:
The sound the combine make I would assume are, as others have said, their hearts stopping. If you listen to the guards they announce "man down" and other things of that nature, they communicate and its cool. Also if you hear a combine yell "overwatch overwatch" that means he is the only one left, charge him!

Actually, I coulda sworn they said "Operate, operate" and I usually hear it when they're on the other side of a doorway, or wall, and they're about to make their move.

Not sure about it being flatlining, maybe just an alarm when one of them dies.

It must be flat lining, the connection is cut...

What I really like aswell is the woman's voice giving directions. The sound is cool (y)

Doofus said:
Actually, I coulda sworn they said "Operate, operate" and I usually hear it when they're on the other side of a doorway, or wall, and they're about to make their move.
No no, they're saying "Operate annihilate!" because they're Powerman 5000 fans and have little radios in their helmets!

I think its more for the other Combine rather than themselves. Alerting you of your own death? sounds useful :dozey:

It's the combine equivalent of the panic button on U.S police radios.

Except it's automatically engaged once the heartbeat is non existant, that's my take at least.

Kind of like when you kill a wasp, part of the wasp emits a signal that alerts other wasps that a predator is near, and help is needed to fight off the threat, hmmm the gunship looks a bit waspy too...

Cabb said:
It's the combine equivalent of the panic button on U.S police radios.

Except it's automatically engaged once the heartbeat is non existant, that's my take at least.

Kind of like when you kill a wasp, part of the wasp emits a signal that alerts other wasps that a predator is near, and help is needed to fight off the threat, hmmm the gunship looks a bit waspy too...

Agreed. I don't see why the heart monitor would be audible on the individual, and only when they're flatlining. I think it's just an alarm.

I just played again and the female voice on their combine comms says "Biosigns of unit 323 lost" after the signal comes...so that proves it.

Prone said:
I just played again and the female voice on their combine comms says "Biosigns of unit 323 lost" after the signal comes...so that proves it.

Cool, haven't noticed that! I wonder if the number 323 changes with different combine?

I don't think the HEV monitors the Combine's radios. You can tell because if you kill one far away, the flatline sound is more faint. I think it's a great immersion technique, like the sreeching tires and racing engines that you hear when being chased by them.

You'll also notice, that when you die you hear a similar sound. I'm sure it's a feature of the HEV/Combine suits...

we11er said:
Cool, haven't noticed that! I wonder if the number 323 changes with different combine?

Yeah, it does. And the female voice does not always say it too. The number was just an example (just played through city17 before citadel)

I believe those are two seperate commands. cause I know they call out when there is just one combine left. This just gives to how organized the AI is in the game.

It's flatlining that you can hear so you know that you've killed them, even if you can't see them.

Combine also say "Break Out" when they are running away.

I thought they also said Out Break, but that could have been Operate-- you've confused me now.

Rhalle said:
It's flatlining that you can hear so you know that you've killed them, even if you can't see them.

Combine also say "Break Out" when they are running away.

I thought they also said Out Break, but that could have been Operate-- you've confused me now.

No, it's Out Break when an advanced combine is the only one left. He goes "Outbreak, Outbreak!" to signal that. Reinforcements are meant to be sent but they never are.
Oh, and yes, I got that from the guide, so it's a spoiler.

It's like those aliens on Krull. when they screeched before they died. I guess it's the noise they make from pain.

Back