Where is Portal's sound folder?

pilot7893

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a soundpack for Portal, but I can't find the sound directory. You know, the folder with all the in game sounds in WAV format?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\portal content.gcf

Inside the GCF (which you can browse with gcfscape, google it), the sounds are in root\portal\sound.
You can't edit the GCF, but putting files in the analogous places in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\<account name>\portal\portal\sound" should override the files from the GCF.

Damn. I can't find the folder with all the voices, which is the one I need.

Oh, I thought you were doing music. Same deal, but "portal english.gcf"

Thanks. Just so everyone knows, the soundpack I'm doing is replacing default Turret sounds with the CD-I Gannon voice. It's also replacing the radio loop with Rick Roll.:D

Well, I've got all the sounds I need. How do I get them back into the GCF file?

You don't.

You put them in the Portal directory where they would be in the GCF. (portal/sounds/whatever)

When the game sees you have files there, it uses those files instead of the GCF files.

You can't modify GCF files. You can only read and extract files from the GCF files, you can't modify or save any files in them. You will have to do what Qhartb said if you want to hear your new sounds in game.

Yes, make your soundpack easy to uninstall though. And also, normally for turrets the directory would be portal/sound/npc/<something>. Anything that is located in the main directory of the game and is in the same spot as something would be in a GCF, normally it would be used rather than what's in the GCF, that's why it would be easy to uninstall.

The thing is, there's no npc section in the sound folder. I created one, but I still don't hear the sounds.What am I doing wrong?

The thing is, there's no npc section in the sound folder. I created one, but I still don't hear the sounds.What am I doing wrong?

You have to create them exactly like they are in the GCF's. So for example to change the speech for Glados your sound files would have to be in 'Sound\VO\aperture_ai'. To change the speech for the turrets it would be 'sound\npc\turret_floor'. You have to create those folders

Your sound files also have to have the same name as the one in the GCF for the game to play your instead of the default one, don't just dump your sound files into the sound folder and expect the game to play them.

So for example i'm going change one of Glados lines. So first i find the line i want to change in GCFscape. I open the Portal English folder and find Glados lines in the Sound\VO\aperture_ai folder. Then i find the track i want to replace which is '00_part1_success-1.wav'
So now all i do is go into the Portal folder open the sound folder and create a "VO" folder then inside that a "aperture_ai" folder. Then i place my track in there and rename it 00_part1_success-1.wav. Now the game should play that instead.

Ok, I put the files here.
steamapps/pilot7893/portal/portal/sound/npc/turret_floor
And they're the exact same name as the original sounds
but I still hear default turret voice.

Back