Where The Hell Is Half Life 2 : Episode 3 ?

I don't think the engine is out-dated... Maybe crank up some limitations and add some new technology but using a different engine is unlikely. Gabe once said he had tons of E-mails saying Source games perform very well at graphics better than other games.

I never had any "this looks crap" feelings in Episode 2..

I don't think the engine is out-dated... Maybe crank up some limitations and add some new technology but using a different engine is unlikely. Gabe once said he had tons of E-mails saying Source games perform very well at graphics better than other games.

I never had any "this looks crap" feelings in Episode 2..

yeah it was ok with episode 2 but by now it will need quite an update.

I WANT EPIOSODE 3!!!!!!! :Gnashes teeth wildly::flame:

I certainly don't think they're going to go for a new engine, but I would be interested in knowing if they're going to update the game resources. After the variety of the common infected in Left 4 Dead going back to the same old all identical zombies just seems so silly. I don't want Valve to remake every model and texture from scratch, but a bit more variety in things would be nice. Multiple zombie skins, new rebel faces, slight variations on Combine uniforms (like we saw with the new shotgun troops in EP2), etc.

I also hope Valve release a DLC package for Half-Life 2 and the previous episodes applying all the updated assets to the previous games, like in the console versions of the Orange Box. Even between HL2 and EP1 Alyx was on the receiving end of a upgrade (new facial muscles, new skin effects, some more detail).

If they taking this long, it has to be a full game with numerous hours of gameplay. Hope hey just stop with the Left For Dead crap.

I want to Bereeve.

In all seriousness, there have been many threads before this discussing the same problem. Only Valve knows when the game is coming out.

Ya,think?

I certainly don't think they're going to go for a new engine, but I would be interested in knowing if they're going to update the game resources. After the variety of the common infected in Left 4 Dead going back to the same old all identical zombies just seems so silly. I don't want Valve to remake every model and texture from scratch, but a bit more variety in things would be nice. Multiple zombie skins, new rebel faces, slight variations on Combine uniforms (like we saw with the new shotgun troops in EP2), etc.

I also hope Valve release a DLC package for Half-Life 2 and the previous episodes applying all the updated assets to the previous games, like in the console versions of the Orange Box. Even between HL2 and EP1 Alyx was on the receiving end of a upgrade (new facial muscles, new skin effects, some more detail).

It would be cool if they'd use Left 4 Dead's common infected system to create a huge amount of variety among rebels / zombies etc.

That , and the Freedom mines were exhausting.Those parts of the game were the "When will it end ????" parts.

What are "Freedom mines"? Do you mean hopper mines? They were a PITA. And I despise Antlions too. If see one more again, it'll be too soon.

As to the article... I thought it was well written. It asks what all of us (well, most of us) are wondering without it sounding too much like a nag.

As to why the delay... maybe someone stole the source code (again) and Valve has effectively kept it under wraps this time. :naughty:

I think he was referring more to "dig dig" mines than "bang bang" mines.

It's the translation of ????? ??????, the name of the mines in Ep2.

[edit] Where are my Russian characters? D:

They didn't work for me either.

If my Russian is correct , it actually translates to "The Mines of Victory"

yeah it was ok with episode 2 but by now it will need quite an update.

EP3 is gonna be another tech demonstration from Valve's proprietary Source Engine. I checked on Wikipedia and it says the latest stable release was October 2009, meaning Valve's gonna work on it for long. Maybe they will show Source version 2 in EP3 or smth:cheese:. That'll explain the long wait^^!

Hmm, all well and good, but Wiki is generally not the most sensible place to take things for granted from. I don't want to say that it'll probably 'be done when it's done' (3D Realms!) but, well, I guess it will be!

People trust wikipedia too much.
And of course the engine and assets are getting updated, it's not gonna be only new maps, you know.

People trust wikipedia too much.
And of course the engine and assets are getting updated, it's not gonna be only new maps, you know.

Well I know Wikipedia is not always reliable, but at least in this case, why would someone lie about the mere release date of a Source build?

Wouldn't the latest source build simply have been for Left 4 Dead 2?

I think L4D2 uses a different Source version, I don't know the technical nomenclature for that process, though (it involves taking the main Source engine code and making a second copy - and continuing development from that copy). People who do can probably supplement my post.

I don't know the technical nomenclature for that process, though (it involves taking the main Source engine code and making a second copy - and continuing development from that copy).

Forking? Anyway, I think that L4D2 is the last update for Source, and what we see in the game is all that Source is able to do at this moment. Not bad, I like it, but it surely is not cutting edge technology from a graphical point of view. AI director and other procedural stuff are awesome.

Agree with Paolo. While L4D2 graphics didn't bug me out, they are not stellar. I expect Half Life 2 Episode 3 to have better graphics.

Back