Who else did not have a fun experince with this game?

Sanius

Reaction score
Before I Say anything, I don't mean to create a flamewar. just a little disscussion. :E

Ok. when I upgraded my cpu and ram last year to 512 mb and 2500+ barton, I was so excited. that soon when I upgrade my videocard, I will have no problem for two years or three. I guess I was wrong. when I got my geforce 6800 and hl2 on christmas, I was super excited. I played half-life 2 and was dissapointed in the preformance. very long load times, stuttering everytime I enter a new area or get in a firefight, and 20-30 frames per second. I don't know about you guys, but that totally ruins the game for me. I was expecting near fluid gameplay, and little to no stuttering.

then I search for a month or two for help. everywhere I go i'm told to get more ram, upgrade my CPU, check new drivers. it's really sad for me. I don't have the money to get a new CPU, ram, and motherboard. my parents did, but now my dad quit his job because he hated it. sucks for me, huh? and I would prefer not getting an xbox just for hl2. that $200 could go to upgrades anyway..

I can't play anything related to hl2 now, mods and all that. I know it's going to crash, stutter, and run poorly. and 90% of the time i'm always right.

so, yeah. who else didn't have a fun experince with this game?

i have GeForce 5200, and it worked smooth for me..

im buyung new RAM and a gfx card soon tho.
any suggestions on a gfx card anyone? :eek:

it was fun for 2 months until my freaking computer started to reboot every single time i ran hl2..........

!#%#$^$%&*% is how i'm feeling right now.. (doubleplusungood in newspeak)

Hectic Glenn said:
what sorta bunse ya talking? :)

around £150

how much would you pay if you was me..?

i currently have geforce fx AGP 5200

need to upgrade.. big time :O

Standard 6800 is better value than the 9800PRO nowadays, isn't it?

I do agree, most of the time it runs smoothly, but the loading is the reason why i havent finished it yet. I would still rate hl2 a 9 as a game but i just cant bare the d*mn loading times every 5 minutes...

but seriously you should clean your pc a bit becuz i can get hl2 running on a 700mhz with geforce2 around 40fps...

Sanius: Your problem seems mostly RAM! I found game performance increased dramatically by adding more RAM. HL2 eats ram for breakfast!!!

Yes, if you're playing with high detail on only 512 RAM you should expect stuttering.

I play on high. I just tweaked some stuff to go away.

and I have a pretty mid range computer. If not crappy old.

I have a 2.50Ghz Intel, Excaliber 9600 Pro and 512MB RAM and I've got all settings to high and if I feel like being able to run the marathon while I wait for levels to load I can put max AA on too and have a smooth game easily, but I do agree with the loading times, worst part of the whole thing.

i have 2.00 GHZ Intel Pentium and a Radeon 9500(!!!) and it was working fine on full detail.

Quek said:
i have 2.00 GHZ Intel Pentium and a Radeon 9500(!!!) and it was working fine on full detail.

Running either dx6 or dx7!!!! Now you are about to cry, I know you are. ;)

I have a P4 2.6 GHZ, geforce 5200 and 256 ram. I couldn't run it on even medium settings and i got quite a bit of stuttering. The reason is that i need more ram, isnt it.....
But anyway it still looked pretty good, the game was really fun, the story was great...steam wasn't too bad either.

doom_duck707 said:
I have a P4 2.6 GHZ, geforce 5200 and 256 ram. I couldn't run it on even medium settings and i got quite a bit of stuttering. The reason is that i need more ram, isnt it.....
But anyway it still looked pretty good, the game was really fun, the story was great...steam wasn't too bad either.
I still get minor stuttering with 512mb or RAM so yes.

It's not the fault of the game that your computer is antiquated.

Really, a GeForce 6800 with a old Barton CPU? What did you expect was going to happen?

No computer is going to play bleeding-edge games for three years running.

every time i play it crashes, but never lags or anything, just crashes
my comp can handle it, it just gots a weird problems, it even crashes with IE some times,i still love hl2, i just can't play it to much,
so games last longer then others and some mods also last longer before crash, my diablo 2 never crashes of my starcraft but everthing else does, i have a nice custom made comp and can't afford even new speakers let alone new parts, it is still a fun expierience while it lasts till it crashes, once svencoop2 comes out i hope it works without crashing like it did with svencoop 1, it was so much fun it makes me wish i still had hl1 i miss it so much, becuase of the crashing i don't play the games much but i do read, view, post, and check up new on hl2 and it cool mods all the time on multipull site like moddb.com and garry.tv/garrysmodforum and halflife2.net and hl2world and some more for news and stuff, hoping a cool mods comes out so i can play it for 5 mins untill it crashes and then check out more new and post a litttle, and dam i miss my hl1 so much it aint even funny, i just wish i new about the aswome mods for hl1 before i lost it so i could have played them some more becuase i loved hl1 like crazy when i didnt even now about svencoop and i just saw the NS 3.0 trailer and i miss hl1 so much now that i am going insane litturly and i cant stand it anylonger i wish i had hl1 and m comp would not crash and i am hungry i had not yet had lunch but i think i'll go play fable on my x-box but not till after i eat something becuase i had not had lunch yet and i am starving and i need food so i'll see you all later after i have a meal becuse i hungry and i am also thristy to so i need some water aswell so cya i g2g get soime food water and fable.

thanks.
for.
sharing.

by the way, how do you spell logorrhoeia

15357 said:
it was fun for 2 months until my freaking computer started to reboot every single time i ran hl2..........

!#%#$^$%&*% is how i'm feeling right now.. (doubleplusungood in newspeak)

Actually, it would be doubleungood.. the plus isn't necessary :thumbs: .

I also haven't bothered saving any cash for upgrades.. I mean, hundreds of dollars just to play a few GFX intensive games...?

HL2 loves ATi...that's why I bought ATi X800.... :|

ATi approves this message

MasterLeviathan said:
Actually, it would be doubleungood.. the plus isn't necessary :thumbs: .

I also haven't bothered saving any cash for upgrades.. I mean, hundreds of dollars just to play a few GFX intensive games...?

actually, the double before plus is added to increase the meaning.

good
plusgood
doubleplusgood

source: The Principles of Newspeak

Sanius said:
Before I Say anything, I don't mean to create a flamewar. just a little disscussion. :E

Ok. when I upgraded my cpu and ram last year to 512 mb and 2500+ barton, I was so excited. that soon when I upgrade my videocard, I will have no problem for two years or three. I guess I was wrong. when I got my geforce 6800 and hl2 on christmas, I was super excited. I played half-life 2 and was dissapointed in the preformance. very long load times, stuttering everytime I enter a new area or get in a firefight, and 20-30 frames per second. I don't know about you guys, but that totally ruins the game for me. I was expecting near fluid gameplay, and little to no stuttering.

then I search for a month or two for help. everywhere I go i'm told to get more ram, upgrade my CPU, check new drivers. it's really sad for me. I don't have the money to get a new CPU, ram, and motherboard. my parents did, but now my dad quit his job because he hated it. sucks for me, huh? and I would prefer not getting an xbox just for hl2. that $200 could go to upgrades anyway..

I can't play anything related to hl2 now, mods and all that. I know it's going to crash, stutter, and run poorly. and 90% of the time i'm always right.

so, yeah. who else didn't have a fun experince with this game?
That sucks dude. Have you tried checking out the steampowered forums for advice or perhaps contacting a mod there with all your specs and details of your problem. Apparently the stuttering problem is solved in a different manner on most computers. What works for some, doesnt for others. or so i've heard.

You could also to check your graphics settings, and say what they're at right now. If you've got x16 AA you might want to take that down a notch.

Actually, the whole point of newspeak is that you cut down on the words needed. But I cant find 1984, crap, i mean, ungood.

doom_duck707 said:
Actually, the whole point of newspeak is that you cut down on the words needed. But I cant find 1984, crap, i mean, ungood.

yes, so you can put all of your thoughts into 2 words: goodthink and crimethink.

but, the need of verbs and nouns such as good and knife(cut) is still existing.

but words such as 'free' has the meaning of 'this dog is free from fleas' but not the meaning of 'intellectually free' or 'politically free'

Wait i've just checked its doubleplusungood.
Yes but the number of words has been dramatically reduced.

Quek said:

The old 9500 is awsome, escpecially if you unlock the unused pipelines. Then you basically have a 9700.

Sainku said:
The old 9500 is awsome, escpecially if you unlock the unused pipelines. Then you basically have a 9700.

Don't forget you can overclock it to near 9700 Pro speeds. That is what I did. :farmer:

I personally believe tha tmost people did not enjoy the game because Valve set the difficulty on Easy by default... :(

Realchaos1 said:
I personally believe tha tmost people did not enjoy the game because Valve set the difficulty on Easy by default... :(

What do you expect them to set it on for first time players???

Medium. I mean come on, easy mode even has an Aimbot, that's not fun.

DiSTuRbEd said:
What do you expect them to set it on for first time players???

Atleast normal. And besides, Valve basicly took over the world, first time players would be the minority in my opinion. haha :p And still, if you didn't get enough out of Half-Life 2; set the difficulty on Hard and play Ravenholm! :sniper: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Back