Who thinks the difficulty jacks up too much?

^Ben

Reaction score
I do.

Oh man, I really like this game but the dying and retrying is really tiresome. So I'm resorting to godmode for some of the areas because the AI seems to go UP but does not come DOWN.

It seems like it could be a really good system, but it needs tweaking because I want to feel challenged, but I dont wanna be frustrated by continual pressing of the quicksave button and quikload.

Solution : play BADLY. It can only get better..err i mean easier.

But yeah, i had the time it takes for the difficulty to kick in at about half way across the slide..and i was dying 30 mins into playing. Damn those shotguns HURT.

And FEAR was easy compared to this. Atleast in FEAR you had a slow-mo option..this one you do but theyre in places you never actually fight in..its kind of..a waste.

ĐynastҰ said:
And FEAR was easy compared to this. Atleast in FEAR you had a slow-mo option..this one you do but theyre in places you never actually fight in..its kind of..a waste.

All the explosive barrels, air canisters, and green gas barrels can be picked up and placed wherever you want them. Pick them up with the use key. You can set these things up for a fight.

I think it works just fine. Except for those damn gatling gun guys, damn they are hard. But, I liked the difficulty of it.

I think the dynamic difficulty system wasn't working for me when I played, because I tore through the game without dying more than twice on one spot except the final boss. I thought it was kind of weird that other people were talking about how hard it was.

It definately ramped up way too much for me.

My player deaths on each level show this nicely:

Docks - Trapped : 0
Docks - Lighthouse : 1
Docks - Generators : 5
Docks - Trainyard : 0
U4 Lab - Infiltration : 3
U4 Lab - Laboratory : 2
U4 Lab - Catastrophe : 0
U4 Lab - Hunted : 2
Pursuit - Descent : 3
Pursuit - Emergence : 30
Supremacy Tower - Entry : 160

... At which point I couldn't proceed without resorting to God mode after spending one or two hours trying to get past a single room.

The Sintek Heavy Gunners are so incredibly nasty, much much harder than the boss fights, and they kept dishing out at least 3 or 4 at a time. And it didn't ease back at all when repeatedly dying for hours. In fact, it sometimes looked like it was getting even harder despite the fact that it was undenyably crushing me.

It started easy and turned into one of the most frusterating games I've played.

I'm still think dynamic difficult is a good idea, especially for episodes, but it really needs to realize when it needs to ease back. I won't be buying any more Sin Episodes unless I hear from the forums that this has been fixed.

On the other hand, the fact that it's being released in episodes allows Ritual to take this feedback into account for future episodes and also mean that I'm only out $20 for a game that I walked away from extremely frusterated (although, if it kept up the fun and difficulty that it was at before it became overwhelming, I'd probably have positive feelings about it overall).

The Heavies can take a beating and I've found the best way to take them out is with either a well placed grenade or a assualt rifle nade followed up with successive head shots, they go boom.:sniper:

Yeah. I don't know if the actual toughness (in a hit-point sense) is changed by dynamic difficulty, but I found the best ways to take out the Heavies are grenades.

I got pretty decent at reacting to the recoil of the assault rifle so I could keep accuracy for longer bursts (limited by vertical desk space). Two secondary magnum headshots would do it too, or three mid-range shotgun shot or two close up shotgun shots. However, I found that if I had to resort to something other than a grenade, I'd probably lose about half my health to bring one down, while others kept trying to flank me. If out of grenades, it was usually better to try to use exploding physics objects if they're available.

Still, like I said, it got way way too difficult for me.

If that is truely how the system works then it's a disaster, my deaths were similar to Qhartb's death amounts, the last 3 levels took up easily the majority of my deaths. I hate games that ruin themselves by making it hard and I don't know why the system wasn't noticing that I just had 10 deaths in the same spot and doesn't help me out. I don't want to have to trick the system by playing bad just to make it playable. Keeping in mind I did run in and die a few times just in hopes that this would happen - it didn't.

I agree, its hard.

I don't play games to quick save non-stop. Games should ideally only kill you if you're stupid - i.e. try to run though them, or don't see someone. They shouldn't kill you repeatedly over and over without you having any chance to beat them.

The dynamic system is a good idea, maybe it works, but I think its under-compensating, for me anyway.

i think this is the hardest FPS ive evern played haha, i got so frustruated at times, i finally beat it but i died like 60 times on stats, my averaged deaths per hour were 17........and all i play is FPS, i sucked at this one.

The gunners were hard but you can keep nading or even better zoom in with the rifle and its 20 shots to the face. Its much more acc. zoomed it.

I'm replaying a second time and I just killed the first boss, at which point the difficulty goes from 'HL2 on medium' to 'Holy shit!'. It was a lot more reasonable the first time I played through, which leads me to believe that there is something wrong this time. I don't think it's meant to be this hard. Maybe they will patch it to make sure the dynamic difficulty actually works both ways. Because it doesn't get any easier no matter how much I die.

I just think it's because you're redoing it, so you have a better pacing/accurary rating, wich means you actually got better, hence the game thinking it's time to crank things up ;)

I think you're supposed to shoot the ammo-tanks mounted on their back (notice they explode?), similar to the jetpack grunts in the barge. But yes, still difficult.

^Ben said:
I do.

Oh man, I really like this game but the dying and retrying is really tiresome. So I'm resorting to godmode for some of the areas because the AI seems to go UP but does not come DOWN.

It seems like it could be a really good system, but it needs tweaking because I want to feel challenged, but I dont wanna be frustrated by continual pressing of the quicksave button and quikload.

Yeah........I'm getting my ass kicked constantly. :dork: *

*I like that smilie.

Sparda said:
I like a good Hard game, Not easy shit.

There is a difference between being hard and being frustrating.

Dying over and over is frustrating.

Personnally I didn't find it frustrating and I died a reasonable 55 times throughout. I adjusted the sliders towards the right and I did notice the game add helmets and chaingunners to the mix if I decapitated quite a few of the soldiers.

Yes in the beginning I was owning enemies like crazy, after I got about halfway through the difficulty shot through the roof. By the time I got near the end (Im assuming Im near the end, the game has crashed on me about every time I go to play it) theres about 10 heavys in my way, 5 behind me, I have about 17 health and low ammo. Of course I had to use godmode to get past them

Honestly, I didn't think SiN: E was that hard. I beat this game in about four hours my first try. With both sliders all the way to the right, I expected something harder. I mean, normal grunts went down in threeish magnum shots, two for the head and helmet. Jetpack guys took about two magnum shots.

The only enemy I had a hard time with was the SinTek soldier, and only once they came in large numbers. When you hit the cubical area of the tower, they come out en masse. Four or so at a time. Sometimes two from behind as well. All you need to do though is get them at a choke point. Close a door in a small room, then wait for them to open it. Two shotgun blasts later, close the door again and wait. Cheap tactics maybe, but it gets the job done.

Overall I died 25 times, which is a pretty big number I guess. My accuracies (is that a word?) were all above 80% though. If you learn how to aim, this game isn't hard. Shoot the head, they die faster. =P

maybe because you didnt play hard enough? seems players who are far better at aiming have it easy at start, zipping through everything, until the game ramps up the difficulty too high.

Did you read the last part of my post? I said my accuracies were all above 80% . I would say I had an easy time aiming. After getting acquainted with the aiming system about five minutes through, I was getting many MANY headshots with the magnum. I would say getting to the tower took me two and a half hours. The tower itself was difficult and quite time consuming.

Too hard

This is far too hard. I was doing fine, I must have died about 10 times. but now I am onto the last level and what the hell??? The difficulty has so very suddenly risen that its just stupid. The odd one or two gatling gun guys were fine, but 5 of them??? With only 3 weapons, 1 of which I have hardly any ammo for... Not very well thought out... I will not be buying the next installment. I have no storyline to speak off to look forward to. I see no point. 5/10.

I noticed that, the more enemies you took down in one shot, the harder following sections would be with extra enemies spawning, usually with better equipment. This was extremely noticeable later on- say you took down a chaingunner in two shakes, all of a sudden the 3 you took on last time thru becomes 5 or 6. However, have a bit of a spack attack on that first chaingunner and you'd be surprised how many of the next waves spawned as normal grunts instead of beefier nasties. It was very noticeable on the carpark secton of the sintek building.
I mean I had sections in the offices where it would deal me 4 chaingunners and a couple of hover droids, I'd despatch them all in an efficient manner, so the game would decide to throw another couple at me... I'd be down to like 14 health and the game would still be saying well you took care of them fairly easily, I think I'll give you a few more and see how clever you are!

Still, as frustrating as it got at times, it was a barrel of fun, so much so that it's one of the few FPS games that has quite a bit of replay value

Ritual is aiming for Wednesday to have the difficulty patched. Which is good news, because I'm in the office area right after the lobby, confronted with no less than 6 chaingunners at once and a couple hover bots.

I'm with the majority, this game is rediculously hard. When HL2 came out, I played through it on hard, and considered that to be challenging, but still fun. Sin though, I left the sliders on default, and my god I have never died so many times in one game. I can see where they are going with the auto-difficulty, and its a great idea, I hope all games have it one day, but only once they have figured out how to make it not kill you.

Barfdude - What do you want? A medal? Either your full of shit, or you are such an amazing FPS player that you far outstripped every other player on here, which means your bragging. Either way, your being a ****, stop it.

i found it plenty fun. I played with the Difficulty at 100% and the difficulty change slider at 90% to the right.

Some parts killed me quite a bit, but i treat it like a puzzle that needs cracking. Near the end of the game those damn chain gunners outnumbered the regular guards 3 to 1.

At any rate i prefer a harsh game that kills me a lot, but provides lots of satisfaction when beaten, than an easy game that i can breeze through.

The exeption being farcry on the hardest difficulty. Because that was just retarded

The last levels are ridiculous. There are like 5-6 chaingun guys spawning with helmet soldiers and jetpack guys all on me. I barely have any ammo too :(

It's something about the ADD that if you breeze through the first few levels, the game overcompensates and just gets ridiculous.

Link said:
Barfdude - What do you want? A medal? Either your full of shit, or you are such an amazing FPS player that you far outstripped every other player on here, which means your bragging. Either way, your being a ****, stop it.

Tell you what Captain Asshat, I wasn't the only one who said it wasn't that hard. Why don't you go yell at everyone else who said that they "like a challenge" or that "it isn't that hard"? It isn't my fault I didn't find it hard. It isn't bragging, it's my opinion that it's not as hard as everyone is claiming. If it makes you feel any better, I found only four secrets or so, I didn't do any exploring.

What they need to fix is the fact that this game is a system hog, with my config I play HL2 at maxed settings (except filters) and I experience no lag whatsoever.

Yea, this game is definatly very tough. I like it that way though. I can't just run into a room and shoot everything, I have to find strategies for each particular location. I'm hoping that it wont automatically patch the game, I'd like to beat it at the insane difficulty it is now.

I caved in and used "give item_healthkit" like mad. The bossfight actually has some semblance of fairness and gameplay balance though, unlike the 100 deaths you had to suffer just to get to it. :)

It sounds like the difficulty system had a pretty big bug in it. I'm curious to see how it plays after tomorrows patch. I hope they didn't nerf the difficulty.

Back