why am I getting crappy fps?

D

deep8832

I go into a server where my ping is oscillating between 80-100. That's reasonable. But, my fps are 20-30 during gameplay, and the video is choppy as a result.

I have a dell P4 1.8ghz desktop
786 MB ram
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB
400W power supply

I ran the video stress test and got 61.2 fps, but when it comes to CS Source, I can only get 20-30 fps? This is ridiculous! Is my processor too slow, is my gfx card to crappy? This is really bugging me.

Is it an old mobo?

try tweaking your cl_cmrate cl_updaterate and your rate in game..

Mine are as follows 90,50,20000

your cpu is bad, i play on 512mb ram 2.26ghz same card and i play on highest res with low models, high textures, high shadows, trillar af, low shader and i get about average 45 fps

p.s. dell sucks......

ur ram is fine.
ur power supply is fine.
the only thing you should be thinkin about for source is your graphics card.
the way source was made was to not emphasize a big amount of cpu
power. the only thing that the cpu is needed for is the engine which
although is advanced does not use a whle lot of cpu power. all bout da graphics. i reccomend selling ur 9800 pro and getting a 6600 GT ($187 on newegg) atleast, or if u wanna spend a good dollar get a 6800 GT from bfg tech. it will blow ur mInD aWaY

u have very similar spec to me

2ghz
512mb
128mb radeon 9800

maybe change ur parts, i have lowish spec but im running css easily at 70fps

When I run cs:s it doesn't matter if i have 800*600 or 1270*768, and switching settings to low gives only like 2-8fps more.

It's your system, CPU & RAM. The old intel 1.8's are pretty slow and it's probably pc133 or rambus. 100MHZ bus speed or something. It's really about time you looking at upgrading.

I'd go with a new motherboard and processor/RAM. A gig of RAM definitely wouldn't hurt, and the motherboard would increase the overall speed of your computer.

Your video card is fine, by the way. Don't fix what isn't broken (read: Don't buy a new card just yet).

But as a first resort, try the newest Catalyst drivers.

I'm running the same CPU as him, a 256KB L2 cache / 8KB L1 cache, 0.18 micron process, 42 million transistor, 400MHz pumped FSB x86 featuring Pentium 4 willamate, except it's running at a 2.2 Ghz frequency. I'm also running 512MB of PC800 ECC RDRAM an an ATi Radeon 9500 Pro 128MB DDR, and I get much faster frame-rates than him during normal game-play (40-160+FPS usually, never drops below 30FPS), running CS: S in DX9 mode at 1024x768 here with no FSAA, 16x AF and all other details max. During the stress test I get around 50-52FPS.

So there's something wrong with his system setup.

the_commanche said:
ur ram is fine.
ur power supply is fine.
the only thing you should be thinkin about for source is your graphics card.
the way source was made was to not emphasize a big amount of cpu
power. the only thing that the cpu is needed for is the engine which
although is advanced does not use a whle lot of cpu power. all bout da graphics. i reccomend selling ur 9800 pro and getting a 6600 GT ($187 on newegg) atleast, or if u wanna spend a good dollar get a 6800 GT from bfg tech. it will blow ur mInD aWaY
Pff... the graphics card is fine, I have one of those and it's working just great. It's the processor that needs changing.

well you did say your cpu is 2.2, his is 1.8 quite a difference there.

Wester547 said:
During the stress test I get around 50-52FPS.
Odd... In the stress test, I get an average of 60 fps, with a system far inferior to yours. Then again, my in-game performace rates around 20-25 fps, so it's a win/lose tradeoff ^^

I am kick'en it with a 1.8 and a slower video card than you and still play just fine. 767 of ram. But then again this PC is tweaked like a strippers nipples. Fine. Just fine. mmmm ya, you like that huh. That's hot.

*tungs the digital nipples*

to f**K if I know why you have slow FPS. tweak you computer. I work so you should work. GET cracken you lazy punk.

Do you have SDRAM or DDRAM?
Also is it running Linux or Windows & Do you have FSAA on? Also check to make sure it is on 800*600 and not 1024*768 you can gain about 20fps just changing the mode and finally make sure you have the latest drivers for all your system devices.

It's definitly not the video card.

Either your CPU, or somethings bogging your system, quite possibly spyware. Download webroot's spysweeper, lavasoft's ad aware, and spybot-search&destroy, update and scan with them all 1 at a time.

I also recommend getting panda titatium antivirus and scanning with that, the free trial will do.

Exclamatio said:
u have very similar spec to me

2ghz
512mb
128mb radeon 9800

maybe change ur parts, i have lowish spec but im running css easily at 70fps

Thanks man, i enjoyed that wee laugh there. What your saying is there was this one time when you were standing in the corner of a room facing the wall and you got 70 frames, hehe, yes thats what you meant.

Back