Why does everyone hate steam?

Back when HL2 was released it was cool to hate Steam. I remember quite a few people who loathed it then and yet claims to love it today.

I remember when I first heard about Steam. I totally didn't understand what it was. I didn't get the point of it! This was before I realized WON was shutting down of course.

But man, if only I had got it and registered when I first heard about it.

I would have had a Steam ID even lower than 6 digits, which is what I have now. It'd be pretty valuable!

i love Steam
i just purchased Max Payne 2 for 5 bucks tax free! :)

i hate u steam

Because i go out and spend 50 some dollars on a new game (Fear 2). I can't even install a brand new game without an internet connection to steam?!?!?!?! finally get steam all loaded up. the game takes over an hour to install.. then steam decides to update the game before launching, this takes 2.5 hours... then i try to launch the game and there is a Steam Error code 53.. suggested solution is to Re-Install!!! With steam i cant even access the games i have without the internet because the freakin broken program is obsessed with updating! needless to say the game still wont work, and steam still sucks.

Wow, way to make the same post in 2 different threads, people need to stop ****ing bumping this thread every few weeks. Really pissing me off.

EDIT: Can a mod just lock this old thread?

No, this thread is awesome!

And ihatesteam isn't here for only one agenda!

nice username you got there mister

I think someone hates Steam.

I hate it when it doesn't work or doesn't to its job
But i love steam :)

I absolutely hated Steam when I first got it, but after a few weeks I got used to it and eventually started liking it.

When I bought the Orange Box, I put the CD in my laptop and expected to be playing HL2 in 15 minutes. But no, I first needed to install a program called Steam. Once it was installed, I was told to create an account.
No problem, I went to the Steam website. Once I filled in the register form, I got some weird error, after contacting the Steam support I heard there was a bug in the servers which blocked new users from registering. 2 days later I finally managed to create an account and install the games.

I fired up HL2, and the first thing I noticed was that the text was in Dutch(my native language) and horribly translated, it just looked very lame because half of the game still was English. So I tried to to change the language in HL2/Steam, but it came with all Europian languages except English. So I uninstalled Steam with all the games and downloaded it from the website. After that and re-installing my games I could finally play them in English.
Since that I didn't encounter any problems.

Another complaint is performance. While it gave me no slowdown on my desktop(Ath 2800, 1.25GB RAM), it ran terrible on my dated notebook(1GHz, 512MB RAM).
It almost takes 3 minutes on it before HL2 is finally launched(from the point where I start steam).
HL2 is very well optimized to run on older hardware, so I found it pretty lame that a program you're forced to use with it works so slow.

But Steam also offers some unique features like buying and instantly downloading games, good chat functions and a very nice in-game mechanic which allows you to chat or browse the internet quickly, that's why I still like it.

My thoughts exactly. I think it's a noob thing. They don't seem to have grasped the idea that you DON'T BUMP THREADS!!!!!

Yeah, the fools. They are supposed to post a new thread, and then get told to search for the thread that you didn't want them to bump.

Wait...what have I done?

Rolling with it. Steam is alright, even if it is just another government conspiracy to get me to pay taxes. You think you're paying Steam, but you're really just paying your taxes. It's insane. You're insane.

Why i hate Steam... hmm lets see.

- Overpriced games ( steamunpowered.eu for price differences )
- Sucky support
- Ahole moderators on the forums who delete posts / ban accounts without explaining why.
- Ignoring the playerbase. (imo 6k posts, countless emails and no word from any of them)
- lying to the customers.

well thats about it i guess.

- What kind of world do we live in when Steam doesn't have the cheapest price for everything, ever?
- My horrendously specific or ridiculously basic support question was never answered with the nanometre-specific insight that I have come to expect from the game's industry's troubleshooters, and I'm accustomed to seeing such teams go the extra-mile to compensate me for my troubles. Ubisoft tech support sent me chocolate ice-cream in the mail, but it went warm and smelt terrible by the time it dropped through my letterbox without an envelope.
- I, or my dearly beloved have/has been banned from the steampowered forums for being as much of an idiot as everyone else there.
- Valve never responds to my constant questioning. 'Are we there yet?' I say. Last friday, they turned the car around and I didn't get to go to Disneyworld.
- Left 4 Dead DLC left me at the altar or molested my sister.
Well that's about it I guess.

- Sucky support
- Ahole moderators on the forums who delete posts / ban accounts without explaining why.
- Ignoring the playerbase. (imo 6k posts, countless emails and no word from any of them)

hey

maggot

- Sucky support

Do you hate Steam or Valve? Points 1 and 2 can only be possibly connected to the hatred of Steam.

1. No one forces you to buy the games on Steam, please feel free to go retail.
2. The support does it's job, there is a huge support section now including ticket submission for specific problems. If you submit a ticket correctly, you will get a response after a few days. There are 10 million Steam accounts now, you can't expect an instant response.

If I wanted to I could nudge a SPUF moderator and find out why your account is banned, and they would tell me. But based on the level of hatred I can sense, it was probably frustration at not being listened to despite shouting louder.

Do you hate Steam or Valve? Points 1 and 2 can only be possibly connected to the hatred of Steam.

1. No one forces you to buy the games on Steam, please feel free to go retail.
2. The support does it's job, there is a huge support section now including ticket submission for specific problems. If you submit a ticket correctly, you will get a response after a few days. There are 10 million Steam accounts now, you can't expect an instant response.

If I wanted to I could nudge a SPUF moderator and find out why your account is banned, and they would tell me. But based on the level of hatred I can sense, it was probably frustration at not being listened to despite shouting louder.

Steam is a product of valve so i guess Steam = Valve..

1. Yes, im buying retail since they are 20% cheaper..
2. well, If you need support its never quick enough, so i guess it aint fair that i mentioned that point.

i have like 4 accounts banned..

My main account got banned becaus i asked why my posts was deleted and who did it .. (banned for Flamebating). steam moderators are far from fair or adult in the "Looks like $1 = €1 after all" topic, just ask any1 that ever posted there.. even the topic starter (stranded) got banned for nothing at all.

its to bad that the old forums of steamunpowered are gone, there were some great examples of powerabuse of steampowered moderators.

You made me curious of why that is.. i didnt always have this "negativity" against steam.

I don't hate steam, I just get extremely slow download speeds on it. I think most people with decent internet speed love steam.

I'm the same.

+ On my older PC it claimed it was downloading an update. When it restarted all my games required to be either redownloaded or reinstalled. :flame:

For those who complain about slow download speeds (there were too many to quote). Make sure you have your Internet settings set correctly! Most people probably ignore this during install or forget to update it when they get better Internet.

I have a ~20/1 MB/s service plan and I usually get ~1 MB/s from Steam. Of course these will be in the mid 500 KB/s during peak hours, but I don't complain too much.

I have a ~20/1 MB/s service plan and I usually get ~1 MB/s from Steam. Of course these will be in the mid 500 KB/s during peak hours, but I don't complain too much.

I have roughly the same (~15/1 MB/s), and I get the same speeds roughly. I'm not complaining :p

Basically, steam was really buggy when it came out abouit 50 years ago, and lots of people hated it. This has caused it to be fashionable to hate steam, which means whenever someone has something go wrong with steam, usually caused by thier own stupidity/inability to maintain thier PC, they get on a forum and blame steam, with the usual attacks. Then, because its fashionable to knock steam, lots of people come on and say "Yeah, I hate steam to, arn't we cool".

Slowly, the balance is shifting, mostly down to increased broadband penetration (Slow downloads being one of the main arguments used to attack steam) and people are starting to realise that people complaining about steam are either on dial up, which is thier problem, or that they have ****ed up thier computer, which is their fault.

50 years ago? I thought it was started in 1998?

EDIT: Well around that time.

50 years ago? I thought it was started in 1998?

EDIT: Well around that time.

The initial release of Steam was on September 12, 2003, so it came out around six years ago. Link probably made a mistake and meant to say five years insteady of fifty, although at times when I'm updating a game like Team Fortress 2, there's a date at the top with the year 1969.

For those who complain about slow download speeds (there were too many to quote). Make sure you have your Internet settings set correctly! Most people probably ignore this during install or forget to update it when they get better Internet.

i have 60/6 and i also get around 1MB/s if im lucky. seems like they capped it at that or something.

I personally dont HATE Steam. Its just unnecessarily problematic some times.

For example, Dawn of War 2 gave Relic a BITCH of a time upon release as nobody could get past the Steam authorisation section of the installation process. Much kudos to Relic though as ive never seen a developer actually respond as fast as they did, they were constantly on the forums updating the situation with solutions and answering pretty much everyone's questions and complaints. A fiddle with the files on the CD bipassed the Steam section and the installation ran fine. If that didnt work or you didnt try it, you HAD to download it, which would take hours. Completely unnacceptable in my eyes. Ive just bought the CD version so I DONT have to download it, and Steam forces me to unless I fiddle with files after copying it to my harddrive? Err...no.

Freezes on startups are annoying.

It just seems that games that get released that require Steam cause trouble. And its not just Dawn of War 2. Ive had problems on install with Empire Total War as well.

Yeah maybe thats just 2 games, but it shouldnt be happening with any of them.

I partly blame the developers for not testing properly, but the majority of blame for me goes toward Steam.

The initial release of Steam was on September 12, 2003, so it came out around six years ago. Link probably made a mistake and meant to say five years insteady of fifty, although at times when I'm updating a game like Team Fortress 2, there's a date at the top with the year 1969.

It was started on Sept. 12 2003?

Holy crap I made my account exactly a year after it launched.

Also I have no problems with Steam it's a great platform that lets me keep in touch with my friends and ----friends while also letting me play video games.

Back