Why Has HL2.net Been Horizontally Flipped?

fishdbaz

Spy
Reaction score
303218_10150792448615383_810975382_20737010_807266195_n.jpg

Question in title.

I'll be honest, I have no idea. Neither does Yorick who designed the site. Did you do it fishbaz?

Nope. I went on today and there it was, just like that.

It looks awkward.

I'll be honest, I have no idea. Neither does Yorick who designed the site. Did you do it fishbaz?

Don't you have some sort of log to track who does what on the website?

The text may be a problem, with my experience.

*obligatory "we have a home page?" post*

I haven't been there in ages, so it doesn't really seem that awkward to me. But I do notice it.

Yeah that's ugly as sin. Hopefully it's just an error and not someone's great idea :S

Smash did it!

In all honesty, I don't mind it, though it does take emphasis away from news posts, placing them more on features and new forum posts.

It can be tweaked for sure. But if you find it ugly, please tell us why.

It's not so much ugly as unreadable. Rather than a central stream of content, it's a whole bunch of little boxes. Feel free to put it back.

It does look blogish, I guess. Although, I never visit the homepage... so I don't really care.

I like it. Draws attention to a lot of elements I wouldn't normally notice without hiding the content I'm interested in (the news feed)
For example, if it wasn't for a link on one of those boxes I wouldn't have visited this thread to leave feedback.

Bring back tan and blue themes please?

Does anyone have a screenshot of the tan and blue theme? It was the theme when I joined HL2.net but it changed soon after and I don't remember what it looked like. :(

Does anyone have a screenshot of the tan and blue theme? It was the theme when I joined HL2.net but it changed soon after and I don't remember what it looked like. :(

Here's a screenshot.

H7IxI.jpg

Good times.

It can be tweaked for sure. But if you find it ugly, please tell us why.

It looks messy, there's no flow to it and the layout is unbalanced.

You expose content of little importance by putting it on top of the webpage:

- "New features" contains 3 features from 2011 and the rest is over a year old - hardly new.
- "New forum posts" - does anyone use this? I doubt people come to the site and are interested in new posts from every section.
- "Spotlight" - the suggestion to join the Steam group doesn't seem like something you should put in the center of attention; plus it's irrelevant to those who already have
- "Play" - you dedicate a whole box in an important spot on the webpage to introduce ONE server; and unless you are being paid for it, adverts belong to a sidebar

Unfocused pretty much explained the problems, but to add the homepage generally just looks shit now.

Can we get the old design back? If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Or don't ruin it in this case.

I went o_O or was it o_O when I saw this earlier. Bit bizarre!

I liked Yorick's better :/

And I do visit the homepage every time I come here.

Actually, upon looking once again at the OP's screenshot, I retract the statement about the layout being unbalanced - it's just that I use AdBlock and I don't get the ad below "Spotlight" and "Play" and they get vertically centered in the spot where all three boxes should be, which causes the unbalance for me.

To say I don't like it would be an understatement. Taking the focus off news posts and putting them under less important boxes. Walls of mundane text at the top of the page crammed into a small box is about as appealing to read as the bible.

I agree the front page should adhere to perhaps a more blog style format as most gaming sites do these days, but the news on the front page is relegated and defocused in this lay out. Embarrassingly this should be a staff discussion for a format change so we have some kind of consensus before so you guys can see why and what we have changed, but that didn't happen this time. So yes, sorry...I must admit I still don't know where this came from, eek!

not going to lie: i only just this second remembered that halflife2.net actually is a website and not just a forum.

i haven't been to the front page in years.

I did a quick mock-up of what the tan and blue theme would look like with the new front-page layout.

tanandbluetheme.jpg

Good times.

Back