Why HL2 sucks: Invulnerability of NPCs

OMg dude... get a life.. .it doesn't make hl2 suck!.. lol s:

I have no complaints about that, if you are so eager to shoot your mates, go grab the Friendly Fire mod!

I have a question to the thread starter...

WHY IN THE NAME OF LIVING **** DID YOU MAKE A THREAD AGAINST HL2 ON A HL2 FAN SITE?

Danimal said:
I have a question to the thread starter...

WHY IN THE NAME OF LIVING **** DID YOU MAKE A THREAD AGAINST HL2 ON A HL2 FAN SITE?

OK, I'll field that - because I don't know myself! I would've known it was pointless to have an intelligent discussion with HL2 fans on an HL2 board because you think your game is so great beyond all others that to have someone come along and challenge you at that belief is such a THREAT!

I once considered asking ZX Spectrum fans what their favourite sound chip was, but I declined in the end. You know why? Because they would've said that THEIR chip (which is actually the worst around) was the best!

It's pointless trying to discuss the bad points of your favourite game, because you just won't believe it, you just won't listen!

ANY FORUM FOR A PARTICULAR GAME IS JUST *TOO* BIASED *FOR* THAT GAME AND AGAINST ALL OTHERS!

So what's the point?

Best to look for a neutral modern FPS forum, and proceed from there. But how many of them are there, eh?

Yeah I agree, I was so dissapointed with the invulnerability of npcs. HL2 just forfilled about 30% of my expectations :(

Hey foebane GO AWAY jesus, this n00b goes on a giant rant about ow he hates everything about HL2 and insults peeps in this thread and then comes back several times....HOLY CRAP GO AWAY.

ok anyways....I like all of valves games but i dont like steam for minor reason but Half life/Half life 2 are too awesome to be a B***H about it so long live Half Life.

I don't mind people criticising HL2. It's that they use weird and horrible reasons such as this one that makes me cry. On another forum, I saw someone hating it just because it had monsters. Seriously...

Foebane said:
OK, I'll field that - because I don't know myself! I would've known it was pointless to have an intelligent discussion with HL2 fans on an HL2 board because you think your game is so great beyond all others that to have someone come along and challenge you at that belief is such a THREAT!

I once considered asking ZX Spectrum fans what their favourite sound chip was, but I declined in the end. You know why? Because they would've said that THEIR chip (which is actually the worst around) was the best!

It's pointless trying to discuss the bad points of your favourite game, because you just won't believe it, you just won't listen!

ANY FORUM FOR A PARTICULAR GAME IS JUST *TOO* BIASED *FOR* THAT GAME AND AGAINST ALL OTHERS!

So what's the point?

Best to look for a neutral modern FPS forum, and proceed from there. But how many of them are there, eh?

I thought you left? Oh I see you just wanted to get people's attention?

Foebane said:

I don't think it is a threat, I am using common sense. While your at it, run up to the pope, moon him and tell him that Jesus is nothing but a tool of the media.

You know what? I want you to quote me on when I said "Half-life 2 is the best game in the word" I have played better, I get too much lag on HL2DM and CSS is basically being milked and is filled with angry teens going through puberty...

Steam sucks, the friends server is always down and it always tries to update itself when I am dissconnected from the interenet.

I am going to wait for my quote...

Half-life 2 is the best game in the word
x_X :)!!
I found it. Even though I am technically twisting your words to an insane extent....

Do remind me how this thread is intelligent.....

I am really upset I can't kill the annoying resistance members:

"Hey! There's Freeman! Let's follow him!"

Don't be so annoying, Kirovman. I don't think that way at all.

But don't think you've gotten shot of me yet. I intend to remain until your admins have deleted my account. So you'll have to put up with me yet.

Hopefully this guy will be banned soon, he is a troll. He came into my thread about the studder fix and started trolling (his post was deleted though) but believe me when I say having this guy around is just asking for trouble.

Foebane said:
But don't think you've gotten shot of me yet. I intend to remain until your admins have deleted my account. So you'll have to put up with me yet.

Thanks for making me laugh. :)

hehe, funny stuff.. some people are just born to pointlessly annoy.

HL2 is the shiz. its the most flexible and most uniquely interactive game to date. I sometimes crit the game for not having some features, but thats only because the game is actually that good , that it makes you think you can do more than what it says on the tin.. and thanks to the SDK you actually can . so shh up foebane, keep your thoughts to yourself and what not.. :cheese:

I like the idea of being able to have what me and my friends called a 'f--k u game' and point the laser from the rocket launcher on the scientists head while he was talking 'no keep talking, don't mind me Mr Scientist'. But at the end of the day its not a big deal. Although, I studiously avoided shooting civilians throughout the game, not realising until much later that you could not hit them anyway.

Foebane said:

It seems the only reason you're here is to go on some anti-hl2 fanboy-like trolling.
Get a better attitude or you're gonna end up banned...

..oh yeah, that is a "THREAT"

/me waits for quote or Foebane to get munrowned/rhowned/razzowned(Even though he ain't a mod)/Shippowned.

:)

Yeah. i didn't even try to kill the npc's until i started mucking around.

Still, they shouldn't have been invulnerable.

There should be this mission failed screen after you kill an NPC. The immortal NPC's are not a big issue but still it's a bit stupid.

Foebane said:
Don't be so annoying, Kirovman. I don't think that way at all.

Huh? I haven't been following this thread, but how exactly am I annoying? Because I said the word annoying?

I am really upset I can't kill the annoying resistance members:

"Hey! There's Freeman! Let's follow him!"

I wasn't being sarcastic, I really meant it, I want to kill resistance members, they annoy me.

And I'm not a HL2 fanboy, I haven't played it in over a month. I just happen to like hl2.net, I like the quality of average forumer here.

I might dload that mod but I kinda like it the way it is cause then you dont have to worry about accidentally nailing an NPC in the head and failing the level.

I agree with the topic maker ( i don't mean that HL2 sucks because of this but) the fact that NPC are invulnerble makes you not care for there safety. In City 17 when your fighting combine with civilians it kills the illusion if you can just spray your machine gun through npc to kill the enemy. You don't really care about the NPC. If you cared you would avoid shooting them but this way you don't really care. In HL1 I remeber leaving Scientists in rooms to protect them from enemy fire as well as my own. I'd tatically set up barnies infront of me so that they could take out enemies while i stayed behind saving my ammo. This kind of illusion of being able to have life and death power in HL1 was part of the reason is was so good. Yet I understand why they left out FF in HL2. For one reason and one reason only it was because the AI was stupid enough to get into the way of your line of fire. I would understanding no FF on easy mode and even medium. But hard mode should have FF.

Ok lets clear this up. Im not going to read something negative and untrue about the best game ever, and not defend it.

After all the people saying," you can't shoot NPC's by accident, and thats so unrealistic", have you been brainwashed by this thread into believing that?

As far as I remember (after beating the game a few times), anytime I accidentaly shot a friendly NPC he reacted very realisticaly
I thought it was the most realistic carnage ever seen in a video game

While its true you cannot kill them, but they still fall back. if you really shot them on accident, they are going to keep on rockin' after they wince in pain for a moment.

Why would you want them to die? Gordon doesn't die and he gets shot hundreds, maybe thousands of times while completing the game. its a game fellaz

But, once I did try to smoke the resistance guys when they got in my way in the staircase.

And it's true, blatantly trying to murder a friendly NPC point blank results in nothing. Most often Gordon will lower his gun when you turn to a friend so this isn't even possible in this circumstance.

If you play the game on hard, you will appreciate their help, especially the medics, and you have played that level before, you will know which way to go. They don't get in your way much it all, if they do they say "pardon me gordon" :angel:

OFF TOPIC:
Also anyone reading this who may have said that the combine AI is stupid, of course the enemy AI is stupid if you put the game on Easy.
Have you tried playing on hard? They are cunning and vicious, and pull no punches. The begining half of the game is easy for a vet still but they are not stupid. My favorite is the Jail level

Yeah, well, as unrealistic as NPC behaviour in HL2 is (thank you very much KitFox), at least they're not the NPCs in Daikatana. Remember that? (Shudders)

Back