Why I am excited for the Wii <-- Best thread, honest

Reginald

Reaction score
As all of you guys are too lazy to make a Wii thread to fit the current trend, here's one. If someone is making one as I struggle to compile this one, I will have to kill you all. I'm in a bad enough mood as it is.

The Controller - Duh

wii_controller.jpg

Virtual Console - Over 20 Years of gaming goodness from at least 5 consoles. Yes please.

All of the below are in-game screenshots unless specified and I aim to provide different screnshots to the ones you see plastered around everywhere.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20060914082135989.jpg

Super Mario Galaxy

super-mario-galaxy-20060914080419050.jpg

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20060920055339872.jpg

(^doesn't do the game justice)

Super Smash Brothers Brawl

super-smash-bros-brawl-20060823080619146.jpg

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves

wario-ware-smooth-moves-20060914082949061.jpg

Excite Truck

excite-truck-20060914075915600.jpg

BWii (Batallion Wars 2)

battalion-wars-2-20060914072922576.jpg

Disaster: Day of Crisis Concept Art - No Gameplay released

e3-2006-disaster-artwork-20060509001604676.jpg

Project H.A.M.M.E.R.

project-hammer-20060920055921512.jpg

Super Mario Strikers Charged

mario-strikers-charged-20060914080828046.jpg

Wii Sports

wii-sports-20060914081416104.jpg

Pokemon Battle Revolution (Screengrabs of shaky-cam videos make Baby Pikachu cry.)

pokemon-wii-20060607025342440.jpg

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz

super-monkey-ball-banana-blitz-20060921113938282.jpg

Red Steel

red-steel-20060914092818235.jpg

Elebits (Textures are gross, but the gameplay looks fun and simple for all the family. I sound like a ****ing games salesman.)

elebits-20060922051628749.jpg

Heroes (Crappy video Print screen. No gameplay, although if Killer 7 is anything to go by, the cutscenes will look very similar to the in-game stuff.)

heroesnk0.png

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

marvel-ultimate-alliance-20060908022258754.jpg

Rayman: Raving Rabbids

rayman-raving-rabbids-20060823061315598.jpg

Sadness Concept art

sadness-20060731051208962.jpg

Raid Over The River Concept art

upstart-studio-targets-revolution-20060308045137543.jpg

Sonic And The Secret Rings

sonic-and-the-secret-rings-20060922030218403.jpg

Super Swing Golf PANGYA

super-swing-golf-20060922064651844.jpg

Trauma Centre: Second Opinion

trauma-center-second-opinion-20060925094607638.jpg

Fire Emblem Concept Art - Only videos of gamplay released. Can't be arsed to Screen grab then host

fire-emblem-20060509002122577.jpg

Harvest Moon: Heroes

HarvestMoon.jpg

Bob Ross: The Joy Of Painting

bob-ross-paints-on-revolution-20060331053203723.jpg

Plenty more: Big Brain Academy Wii, CoD3, Cooking Mama, Crayon Shin-Chan Saikyou Kazoku Kasukabe King Wii (Look at the name! :O), Far Cry Vengeance, Wii Play, Wii MotorSports, Madden 07, Metal Slug: Anthology, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - The Crystal Bearers, Dragon Quest, Marionette, Pikmin 3, Luigi's Mansion 2, Prince of Persia 4, Donkey Kong Wii, Blazing Angels, Star Wars Wii, TMNT Wii, Wave Race Wii, 1080 Wii... I could go on.

Oh yeah. Anyone with 56k can suck it.

Your excited for Super Mario Strikers Charged? :|

The first 3 games are worth the asking price of the wii on their own (just a shame only one is available for launch). Other than that i'm not that excited about the lineup - Excite Truck looks fun and I think Batallion Wars 2 could be suprisingly good, but the rest looks pretty average. I'm convinced Red Steel will be shite. However, being a Nintendo console I have no doubt that some of the best games this generation will be exclusive to the wii.

I'll be ordering one from the states the second VG+ pull their finger out :)

crap, the only cool thing about Wii is the controller,

Kbye. ;P

I don't see why people are orgasming over Red Steel, I think it looks pretty generic.

That said, I still plan to get a Wii, mainly for Metroid Prime 3 and Twilight Princess.

I put on Metroid Prime the other night to get hyped for the wii - suddenly 4 hours was gone and it was nearly time to get up! Even at only 480p the game looks stunning (art direction that puts the best current games around to shame) and the music, along with the atmosphere it helps to create, has yet to be matched in a fps. Corruption has alot to live up to! (i'm hoping the new control method won't turn it into too much of an action game)

As for Twilight Princess - another 'OoT' would do nicely :)

I put on Metroid Prime the other night to get hyped for the wii - suddenly 4 hours was gone and it was nearly time to get up! Even at only 480p the game looks stunning (art direction that puts the best current games around to shame) and the music, along with the atmosphere it helps to create, has yet to be matched in a fps. Corruption has alot to live up to! (i'm hoping the new control method won't turn it into too much of an action game)

As for Twilight Princess - another 'OoT' would do nicely :)

Corruption would technically be living up to Metroid Prime 2 and...yeah...

And I hope Twilight Princess is more of a Majora's Mask type game...

MP2 lost its way a little imo - still very good, but not quite the great game Prime was. Metroid Prime will be the benchmark I compare Coruption to.

I also liked Majora's Mask, but hope for more with Twilight Princess. TP does look darker than any previous Zelda title, though, so you may yet be in luck.

I hear you Warbie. First time I played through Prime 1, I didn't scan anything, because I thought it was pretty stupid. Loaded it up the other evening and BAM!, I'm suddenly enjoying scanning and suddenly BAM!, I haven't got time for homework.

I'm personally excited for all the games I posted... my bank account is shaking in its too small boots. Worrying.

EDIT: Looking back, I can do without Sonic. :|

MP2 lost it's way a little imo - still very good, but not quite the great game Prime was. I also liked Majora's Mask, but hope for more with Twilight Princess. TP does look darker than any previous Zelda title, though, so you may yet be in luck.

MP2 was great other than the ****ing stupid dark world. Not to mention it was just a rehash of what MP1 was, which wasn't exactly a bad thing, but yeah, I was bored.

Games for Wii I'm really excited for:

Zelda: TP
Metroid Prime 3
Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Games I want to play/try out/rent:

Excite Truck
Elebits
Monkey Ball
Mario Strikers
Trauma Center
Wario Ware
and more

I hear you Warbie. First time I played through Prime 1, I didn't scan anything, because I thought it was pretty stupid.

Ditto.

Given the perspective it's easy to approach Metroid Prime as a fps, then come away disappointed by the lack of adrenaline fuelled action and the rather restictive controls (no free look while moving). Approach it as a first person adventure, take your time become absorbed in the world around you, and it's one of the the most engrossing gaming experiences around. Infact, no other game has put me into the gameworld as much as MP.

hmm. I was thinking of getting a Wii on release... but now that I actually see all the games before me, I realize that I probably would only buy one, possibly two games. Zelda and Red Steel.

The others look either :| or :x

Those all look pretty crap graphically...

...when compared to expensive consoles/games.

First of all, Zelda is technically a GameCube game. Also, developers are concentrating on gameplay for the launch games (wii'll se great looking games in the future).

But then, give me the graphics of Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, Wind Waker (nicest graphics ever) and BWars on GameCube, and I'll be more than pleased.

Well, it is only double-to-triple the power of the Gamecube.

Considering that, Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, and Red Steel have great graphics.

But that's not what I'm getting a Wii for.

Cube said:
Wind Waker (nicest graphics ever)
I thought I was the only one :D

Hmm... screenshots are a really inadequate way of explaining why the Wii is an exciting console. :|
Hell, those graphics are the only thing about the Wii which ain't worth getting excited about.

Hmm... screenshots are a really inadequate way of explaining why the Wii is an exciting console. :|
Hell, those graphics are the only thing about the Wii which ain't worth getting excited about.

gotta agree here, but i'm pretty thrilled about 90% of the titles the OP posted shots of, so that got me off.

wii is gunna kick some ass, im buying one! Wii sports is gunna kick ass, not to mention the rest of the games.

http://uk.media.wii.ign.com/articles/735/735335/vids_1.html

5:41 video showing off the Wii.

Games:
Wii Sports - Golf, Bowling, Boxing (Nintendo)
Foreverblue (Nintendo)
Mario Strikers Charged (Nintendo)
ExiteTruck (Nintendo)
Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower Of Mirrors (Square Enix)
Sengoku Action (Working Title) (KOEI)
Red Steel (UbiSoft)
Fire Emblem (Nintendo)
Super Swing Golf (TECMO)
Wii Sports - Tennis (Nintendo)
Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
Necro-Nesia (Spike)
Trauma Center: Second Operation (Atlus)
Sonic and the Secret Rings (SEGA)
Wing Island (Hudson Soft)
Pokemon Battle Revolution (Nintendo)
Bleach Wii (SEGA)
One Piece Unlimited Adventure (Namco)
SD Gundam Revolution: Scad Hanmmers (Namco)
Crayon Shinchan Saikyo Kazoku Kasukabe-King Wii (Working Title) (Banprest)
Tamagochi Connection Be the No 1 (Namco)
Wii Play - Shooting, Table Tennis, unknown, Laser Hockey, Snooker, Find Mii, Fishing (Nintendo)
Elebits (Kanomi)
Rayman Raving Rabbids (UbiSoft)
Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz (SEGA)
Casting Master (Hudson Soft)
Ennichi No Tatsujin (Namco)
Furi Furi (Taito)
Bokujo Monogatari (Harvest Moon I think) (Marvelous)
The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princes (Nintendo)
Kororinpa (Hudson Soft)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Nintendo)
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (Nintendo)
Battalion Wars 2 (BWii)
Bomberman Land (Hudson Soft)
Wii Music (Nintendo)
Wii Big Brain Academy (Nintendo)
Mr.D Goes To Town (Mastiff)
Takoron (Compile Heart)
Cooking Mama (Taito)
Wii Sports - Baseball (Nintendo)
Project H.A.M.M.E.R. (Nintendo)
BioHazard Umbrella Chronicles (Capcom)

Edit:

Also, check out www.wii.com for the menus. The "Mii" you can create appears in games like Wii Sports.

BAH , the graphics..I expect from a "next-gen" console next gen gfx. Simple as that. Moreover , the graphics in the screenshots are WORSE the current-gen gfx! Really , how can they make a game to look so bad with today's capabilities?

I encourage someone to open a similar topic about the PC.

I bet no one will even notice when these games are running. "Oh noes, teh graphics!"

I think it's great Nintendo go in the direction of gameplay over graphics. And yet, I bet they still produce some of the nicest looking (and smooth running) games of next generation.

I don't see why people are orgasming over Red Steel, I think it looks pretty generic.

That said, I still plan to get a Wii, mainly for Metroid Prime 3 and Twilight Princess.

Maybe that's cause it's the only (or one of few) good looking game on Wii.

Yes , i'll notice the ps1 quality gfx when playing. It has nothing to do with gameplay over gfx , gfx shouldn't come over anything , more so when you have a next-gen console.

It's just poor performance or poor designing by the devs. part.

Other than that , I still wasn't shown any reason why I would like the wiimote.

They look nothing like the Playstation games :/ (I was playing on my psx last night - now that does look old). gfx wise we can expect enhanced versions of what we were playing on the GC, but now with widescreen and 480p. As I said earlier, some of the best looking titles on the GC still put most recent games through their paces.

I was also playing on the DS with a few mates yesterday (mass Bomberman ftw :)).Graphically it looks far worse than the PSP, which has gradually been gathering dust since launch. It's a better console, though, with far better games. Would you chalk down its lack of power to 'poor performance or poor designing by the devs'?

I'll bet you £1 that Twilight Princess - being only a humble GC game (no change visually at all for the wii) - will still look gorgeous and enchant will the player from start to finish.

Yes , i'll notice the ps1 quality gfx when playing..
Oh please.
Tamer17 said:
It's just poor performance or poor designing by the devs. part.
I doubt any of that applies here. What we have seen over the past 6 months is a console which relies on interface more than performance power. Carefully planned if you ask me, so as to:

1) Not bump up overall retail price on pointlessly overpowered components

2) Not have a console that most games will only use half of it's fullest hardware potential.
Tamer17 said:
Other than that , I still wasn't shown any reason why I would like the wiimote.
That's fair enough, many people are still skeptical. But don't knock it 'til you've tried it as the saying goes. I reckon this will be a far more engaging method of gaming as opposed to regular controller interfaces or keyboard input. (Oh, and I'm not saying any of those methods are any better than the last, you rabid PC fanboys :p)

The bottom line is that it looks bad at this point , there's no other way to put it.
About the PSP-DS comparsion , I don't expect anything gfx wise when I play a handheld game , I do however expect great gfx from a full fledged console with a "next-gen" tag next to here , or by god , atleast gfx that rivals today's.

They look nothing like the Playstation games :/ (I was playing on my psx last night - now that does look old). gfx wise we can expect enhanced versions of what we were playing on the GC, but now with widescreen and 480p. As I said earlier, some of the best looking titles on the GC still put most recent games through their paces.

I was also playing on the DS with a few mates yesterday (mass Bomberman ftw :)).Graphically it looks far worse than the PSP, which has gradually been gathering dust since launch. It's a better console, though, with far better games. Would you chalk down its lack of power to 'poor performance or poor designing by the devs'?

I'll bet you £1 that Twilight Princess - being only a humble GC game (no change visually at all for the wii) - will still look gorgeous and enchant will the player from start to finish.

True. To be honest, I was more impressed with Zelda when I first saw it then when I saw those Gears of War screenies. Art direction ftw.

The bottom line is that it looks bad at this point , there's no other way to put it.

I disagree. The recent high res vids of Mario Galaxy looked very decent to me, as did Metroid. Visually i'd choose them over, say, FEAR on the pc - that looks like crap even with maxed res and settings. Art direction > resolution and the number of polygons flying around everytime.

This whole graphics discussion leaks into every single Wii thread that has ever been made...

I personally think the only importance of graphics are the first 10 minutes you play and say, "ooh purdy" then there's the art style for how much I like to look at the game after that and most of all the immersion factor that I feel comes from particle effects (least of the 3), lighting and animation. Games like Super Mario Galaxy look fantastic to me because of the very smooth looking gameplay, colorful art style, diverse worlds, great animations and good lighting we see on Mario.

Bottom Line: If you care about looking at your games more or even close to as much as how well they play then the Wii isn't for you. Stick with your 360 or PS3.

I prefer artistic direction over graphics.

The "realistic" style games have gone too far!

About the PSP-DS comparsion , I don't expect anything gfx wise when I play a handheld game , I do however expect great gfx from a full fledged console with a "next-gen" tag next to here , or by god , atleast gfx that rivals today's.

Nintendo have never said it's next-gen. It is in fact "New-Gen." Good old Reggie. :E Fils-Aime... not me.

Im getting a wii mainly for the web browser and Red Steel / Wii Sports.

Back