Will Arnold Get to Run in 2008?

seinfeldrules

Reaction score
Do you think the states will pass an Amendment that allows people born out of the country to run for President? If you dont think this should be allowed, post a reason why. I cannot think of any reasons why a US citizen of, say, 35 years cannot become President. After that period of time, their allegiance should be well known and evident.

Yes I think Arnold will pass an Amendment and it will be allowed. This law is more than 100 years old... it can be changed now.

I agree. He's a good man in my opinion. Sure his English isn't so hot, but he's probably one of the most well intentioned politicians out there, even if he isn't the greatest. He's trying hard over there in CA, and I respect him for it. Take away the restriction I say.

thefiznut said:
I agree. He's a good man in my opinion. Sure his English isn't so hot, but he's probably one of the most well intentioned politicians out there, even if he isn't the greatest. He's trying hard over there in CA, and I respect him for it. Take away the restriction I say.
Thats the feeling I get as well. :cheers:

think about all the "running man" jokes....as if the "governator" wasn't bad enough :p

seinfeldrules said:
Do you think the states will pass an Amendment that allows people born out of the country to run for President? If you dont think this should be allowed, post a reason why. I cannot think of any reasons why a US citizen of, say, 35 years cannot become President. After that period of time, their allegiance should be well known and evident.
Ya why not, although passing a law specifically for Arnold doesn't seem completely right but then again he would definately be someone who could win the election.

If he ever needs to declare war then I hope he says a few memorable things that would go good in a movie. That would be amazing. :D

bliink said:
think about all the "running man" jokes....as if the "governator" wasn't bad enough :p

He would certainly spawn more jokes than Bush has, by far.

The Mullinator said:
Ya why not, although passing a law specifically for Arnold doesn't seem completely right but then again he would definately be someone who could win the election.

I don't think that the law will be passed only for Arnold. I think the law will be reconsidered and be changed.

AntiAnto said:
I don't think that the law will be passed only for Arnold. I think the law will be reconsidered and be changed.
No I realize the law itself would be changed and generalized, but lets face it this would really only be done specifically for Arnold.

However yes I think they should do it.

You should have to have lived there for a long time though. Let's say 20 years? Hell, Arnorld exceeds that easily.

That would prevent something happening like Prince Charles being really popular suddenly or something, immigrating to the US, running and winning. Hehe.

You would seriously want Arnold Schwarzenegger for president?

Hmm, I'm not sure. On the surface of things I've never seen much of a point to the idea that you must be born here to become president. I mean if someone moved here when they were 2 years old the law is pretty meaningless.

However, there are some legitimate reasons for having such a law and it would be somewhat difficult to figure out where exactly to draw the line if it were changed. Should a person live in the country for 5 years? 10? 20? 30? I'm not sure what criteria you could use to determine that.

20 - 25 years is what I think. Arnold is the example we can use (because he's the only one I know of)

Compare him (culturally, from Austrian to being absorbed into the American way) Speaking, how he acts, etc, all different from when he just moved (Pumping Iron movie time, compare that to now)

thefiznut said:
I agree also. From some politicians I get a bad vibe: like (well, he's pushed out of office now) Tom Daschle and Diane Feinstein (especially her. Ecchhhh. HORRIBLE)

I get a good feeling from Arnold, McCain, Bob Dole, and surprisingly Barrack Obama (even though I disagree with him on policy/ideology.. he's just.. like.. hard to dislike. It seems he wants to get things done) And many others.

I'm not sure if I'd want Ahhnold to become president. He might mistake Hillary Clinton for a predator or become a one-man-army and kill every Colombian and Mexican like he did in Commando.

Anyway I agree, after 35+ years, the candidate is probably well intentioned. Although it's difficult, it would still be possible for some intelligent 'terrorist' to live in america for 35 years then run for office and... yea. Not likely but possible.

umop said:
Anyway I agree, after 35+ years, the candidate is probably well intentioned. Although it's difficult, it would still be possible for some intelligent 'terrorist' to live in america for 35 years then run for office and... yea. Not likely but possible.
they'd have to hide that really well, get elected, and then not be impeached. unlikely.

=)PoLo(= said:
You would seriously want Arnold Schwarzenegger for president?

Honestly, that was my first reaction upon hearing that he was running for governor of CA, then later I wondered how he would do as president. At first I though, "Oh, actor... Never gonna work", but to my suprise he's turned out to be quite a fine governor. I'm not sure how he's handling California's economic situation (perhaps you folks from CA could fill me in), but socially and enviromentally he's working wonders over there.

umop said:

michael moore.....

arnold has this thing about him, people think he is a stupid musclebrain. but he is a really intelligent person really :)

Deputy J Garcia said:
michael moore.....

Wow, what a stupid, relevant post.

Moore is not a terrorist, or has ever been a citizen of any another country. It really pains me when Bush supporters (that's their choice, I'm not calling favourites here) seem to have to find every chance they can to take a stab at him, without evidence, reason or prethought.

Oh, Ahhhnold is one of a few Republicans that don't seem all that bad to me. Oh, I would like this law, because I could run for President too :p

I think he would be a good president, not really that conservative, a very moderate republican, and is from origin European so hopefully he would strengthen relationships again after Bush brutally raped them.

I am the presinator, I am your ruler, I will make our country better! And I WIll BE BACK for another 4 more years!

haahhaa, 'if your not american you cant be the president'

explain exactly where the american populance came from.

nobody has 'pure american blood' :)

deep down inside, past all the hatred and stereotypical views... you love us brits really :)

neptuneuk said:
haahhaa, 'if your not american you cant be the president'

explain exactly where the american populance came from.

nobody has 'pure american blood' :)

deep down inside, past all the hatred and stereotypical views... you love us brits really :)

Soaring Eagle/Running Bear 2008

It's unfair that only born americans can become president, and also kinda racist.

The_Monkey said:
It's unfair that only born americans can become president, and also kinda racist.

its hypocritical. americans are a mixture of many nationalities from years ago

The_Monkey said:

How is it racist? Any color skin can run for president, nobody will stop them.

DiSTuRbEd said:
How is it racist? Any color skin can run for president, nobody will stop them.

Racism has more to do than the colour of your skin. If people from other countries, even if they have lived in the US all their life, they aren't allowed to run for president. That is (in my opinion) a bit racist. But I know that these laws are very old and don’t at all represent what the American people/politicians think.

neptuneuk said:
its hypocritical. americans are a mixture of many nationalities from years ago
Note that it's not a recent law though, so you can't act as if it's new and such.

seinfeldrules said:

Wow, I hope your not planning on voting for Arnie.. that says alot about a person.
EDIT: If he does become eligible to run that is.

umop said:
that intelligent 'terrorist' could very well be born american.
shadow6899 said:
ill gice just one reason, and it's a far out reason but very possible. what if a government (no names) sends over a spy to live in america for say 35 years or whatever the length required would be. then does become president, well thats bad... :D
That government should simply hire an american to do the job. And anyways, would Americans elect a foreigner who's been in the country for only 2 years?

Hilary Clinton Vs Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2008?

Omfg...

lmao I'd vote for Arnie! Be f'in hilarious having him for a president.

"An attempted assassination of the president of the United States today has left the assassin terminated, his clothes and sunglasses were taken from him. Arnold rides away on a motorbike."

If I was American, I would vote for Arnie if he was running from president. But fortunately I'm not American. :p Arnie ph0r Pr3z!11

Arnie is a quite moderated Republican, and I like him a lot. He has basicallly the best from both sides.

Sprafa said:
Arnie is a quite moderated Republican, and I like him a lot. He has basicallly the best from both sides.

This is some sort of joke I am missing right?

Back