Will HL2 Play the same?

BrewHaHa

Reaction score
When ever I go to play a game that is not HL related such as BF1942, I just don't feel a good connection. This also goes the same with UT vs. Hl. HL just feels better playing it, but I'm worried it won't feel the same. Your thoughts?

I donknow.. the complexity off the maps do requitre a better eyesight tho. I mean its alot harder to identify someone against a background then in HL because off the highres textures and models. I really hope HL² will have the same playing style.

I just hope it has the same solid feel as the first one. Ive never been a big fan of the way the unreal engine feels for an example.

ugh, BF1942 feels like shit, god theres so many things I can say about that engine :), but good mods tho :D

Like the way you jump and when you land you can't move your crosshair at all, or change direction or anything?
Heaps of things like that make it feel really gumby.

HL1 was good cause it was based off the simple quake 1 engine. The videos of HL2 look fairly similar in play style, which is good i guess.

Like the way you jump and when you land you can't move your crosshair at all, or change direction or anything?
Heaps of things like that make it feel really gumby.

That has nothing to do with the engine. They want to make BF1942 retail semi-realistic so it's just coded. In patch 1.4 that 'problem' is even almost fixed when you walk out of the water for example.

well, since the team has assured us that all the features we know and love will be present ..... and we shud really trust them ;)

half-life's engine.. (hl and basically any mod) always gave me the feel of solidness.. and clarity in a sense.. i don't know how to explain it.. but other engines all seem to give me an auro or a feel of like unreal or unnatural environments.. while hl's graphics aren't the best or the most realistic, there is always that feeling that i can't describe which makes me enjoy playing with in the engine.

it feels less cramped or SOMETHING i can't even explain and i'm going to stop trying now..

.. god i need sleep.

Originally posted by worldspawn
half-life's engine.. (hl and basically any mod) always gave me the feel of solidness.. and clarity in a sense.. i don't know how to explain it.. but other engines all seem to give me an auro or a feel of like unreal or unnatural environments.. while hl's graphics aren't the best or the most realistic, there is always that feeling that i can't describe which makes me enjoy playing with in the engine.

it feels less cramped or SOMETHING i can't even explain and i'm going to stop trying now..

.. god i need sleep.

I know exactly what you mean. If you play say.. Tactical Ops, then Counter-Strike, CS just feels so much more "right". It's very hard to explain, it could be the textures or the lighting, or just the movement.

Originally posted by Abom|nation
I know exactly what you mean. If you play say.. Tactical Ops, then Counter-Strike, CS just feels so much more "right". It's very hard to explain, it could be the textures or the lighting, or just the movement.
i think it's a combination of the clear lighting style (also don't know how to explain this.. lighting just seems clean and not overly obvious) .. and the responsive movement system.. no lag betwen wanting to jump and it happening or turning.. not like other games lag when you're playing really.. but i don't feel as directly in control.. it's much easier for me to slip into the feel of controlling my play in cs than other similar games that use newer more advanced engines.. i really hope hl2 will capture this same feel... i do think it's possible.. maybe even more so.. in the tech demo part of the e3 video where he's by the pool.. that part of the video reflects the clarity i feel when i play things like cs or hl.. but i can't know for sure how it will feel to play till i get the game on the release date.

yeah, i feel exactly the same - it doesnt matter what other game i play, i just dont have that "in-game-feeling" like in hl..

thats why i still play hl + mods more than any other game :D

I think its in part due to the fact that a lot of games are basically graphics engines with a bit of physics slapped on top. Where as halflife was more integrated. I know what you mean by it gives a solid feeling. Its always hard to explain it. A lot of games try to "fake" things too much rather than just have it happen. Like when you fall they have told it that the player will crouch slightly rather than let it happen. its hard to explain. I know what I'm talking about :)

however we try to explain it or however we think about it in our minds.. it does not matter... we all agree that we like it and that the feel returns in hl2.

The best thing about Half Life is even with its dated graphics and physics. Its got a more down to earth feel (Funny considering your fighitng in xen sometimes :\) and make the game seem more gritty and realistic.

Gabe said in some internview that you will be walking at the same speed as in HL1.

It will be as solid I bet, I just hope they tone down the "Roller Skate" feel some..but otherwise it's all good. Even if they don't fix that.

Originally posted by Majestic XII
Gabe said in some internview that you will be walking at the same speed as in HL1.

Exactly what I was gonna reply with.

I'm pretty damn sure HL2 will feel just as solid as HL1, considering Source is actually supposed to be the original engine re-built, right?

Originally posted by Zraisfury
It will be as solid I bet, I just hope they tone down the "Roller Skate" feel some..but otherwise it's all good. Even if they don't fix that.

I think the "Roller Skate" feel is kind of what makes HL so "solid" to play. Other games like UT2K3, BF1942 and Raven Shield, you feel like you're clipping through the entire level and it just doesn't feel good.

Originally posted by StardogChampion
I think the "Roller Skate" feel is kind of what makes HL so "solid" to play. Other games like UT2K3, BF1942 and Raven Shield, you feel like you're clipping through the entire level and it just doesn't feel good.

Totally agree. I think the roller skate effect is somthing that we've all either gotten used to, or subconciously find to be the effect of most control and accuracy.

Originally posted by simmo
ugh, BF1942 feels like shit, god theres so many things I can say about that engine :), but good mods tho :D

agrees

vinnila BF is sorta average but the mods are what makes it.

Desert Combat *best mod ever, screw CS cos DC ass rapes it (in a non gay way)*

EOD *not my favourite but god knows its pretty damn good*

Forgotten hope *i hate some of their devs cos their stuck up twats who say s*** about other ppl's mods but its a bloody good mod*

Originally posted by DaveKap
Exactly what I was gonna reply with.

I'm pretty damn sure HL2 will feel just as solid as HL1, considering Source is actually supposed to be the original engine re-built, right?

no, source is completely new. No quake or Id stuff anywhere.

BrewHaHa i know what u mean. i recon valve will do the best to make is feel the same to play. lots of games dont feel right compared to hl, as u said.

True say, I am q3 arena phreak I have broadband connection and my pings in UKs servers max of 60. Making comparison with CS1.5 I do feel that CS and Q3 in UKs server are the same no diffrence but for USA servers CS win the race of smoothness and pings (latency).

BF has a very sloppy FPS feeling, even in SP, but you've got to give it credit for melding it with vehicles.

It is my experience that what give HL its "feel" is the actual walkspeed/footsteps. Any other engine can't come close to feeling as realistic and "normal" as HL for some reason, and i do agree, most new engines feel more like im floating above the floor than walking, maybe they have no friction or something?

Anyways, as long as they keep the same "pace" as HL1 and the same awesome footsteps im happy. (i also hope it can run 'decent' on my gf4mx but thats a different story)

i think this hl, will be a better feel than the last because of the new tech involved.:cool:

Originally posted by genocide604
i think this hl, will be a better feel than the last because of the new tech involved.:cool:

Right on Captain Obvious!

LOL =)

J/k.

They're sure to have retained the solid 'feel' of the engine. If not, then they're going to have a nasty shock as HL2 fades away after a year.

Back