Will the new nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra take back ATI to first base?

Will nVIDIA's new GPU make ATI loose the "War over GPU's" and make ATI go to point A?

• ATI will make a card to make them shine again.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • nVIDIA has rised, and even ATI can't change that.

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pitt-Bull

Reaction score
From what I see (We all see), the new nVIDIA GPU has kicked ATI's high end card's ass in pretty much all possible benchmarks.

But does this mean ATI is gone, and is at point A once again?

It doesnt mean ATI is gone by any means.. it basically means that ATI had no idea (for once) what Nvidia was working and got very blazé, due to the shitty factor of the 5900 / 5950 and got a bit of a shock.

nVidia has a lot of money to put into R&D because of their market share. It's only to be expected that they come up with something amazing.

the new nVIDIA GPU has kicked ATI's high end card's ass in pretty much all possible benchmarks
I would certainly HOPE so. Either of their next-gen cards should stomp all over either of their previous cards. The only question that is of any significance, how the two next-gen cards fare against each other, is still just speculation.

Don't you just love all of the reviews that pit the 6800 against the 9800 and say the 6800 is better than ATi's "flagship" card while completely ignoring the fact that ATi's X800 Pro is less than a month away (and the XT about a month behind that) from being benchmarked?

Admittedly, it doesn't have SM3 support apart from in a few rumors (though, I believe, the other rumor about them changing from 8x2 pipelines to 12 for the Pro and 16 for the XT was confirmed) but I'll wait until I see the performance numbers before I make any judgements.

From the POV of gamers I hope the ATi card outperforms the nVidia card (we will have a faster card!) but either way we will get incredible performance... and if the nVidia card is better I'll be able to use SM3 shaders.

I agree with OCyberManO here.

I'd like to point out that ATi might well have done what nVidia did with the FX range, got overconfident about the competition, and decided to make a quick buck.. since their competition sucked last round... never know though :)

Someone at ATi said they were willing to give up some of the profit margin to stay ahead of nVidia. It's also claimed the NV40 outscored the R420 only just, with the latter using 12 pipelines so my guess is that with all 16 pipelines activated ATi will remain on top. Without the 3.0 shaders, that is.

I can't answer that sincerely and in a good state of mind till a few eeks b4 the X800 launch, so I can get a good preview of WTF is ATi working on.

Really wish people would stop judging ATi and claiming that nVidia is the king before they actually bring their new card out.

Abom said:
Really wish people would stop judging ATi and claiming that nVidia is the king before they actually bring their new card out.

The reply to that is that fanboys are a fickle lot :p

yay Ati, yay nvidia, NO ATI IS GOD, NVIDIA RULES.... arrrggghhh

I really don't care which manufacturer makes the best card. As long as they keep on competing like this, we gamers can never loose.

Indeed, i don't care which ones best...

I'll buy the best at the time, when I decide to upgrade.

OK, last time. The ATi next gen card hasn't been reviewed yet. We can start comparing on April 26th.

ray_MAN said:
OK, last time. The ATi next gen card hasn't been reviewed yet. We can start comparing on April 26th.

Exactly. We'll see which the superior card is when it comes to the time. For now, closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back