Windows 7, Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player and Xbox 360 banned in Germany

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-17924190

Motorola Mobility has been granted an injunction against the distribution of key Microsoft products in Germany. The sales ban covers the Xbox 360 games console, Windows 7 system software, Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player.

It follows a ruling that Microsofthad infringed two patents necessary to offer H.264 video coding and playback. A US court has banned Motorola from enforcing the action until it considers the matter next week.

[...]

Microsoft moved its European software distribution centre from Germany to the Netherlands last month ahead of the verdict to minimise potential disruption.

However, Motorola cannot enforce the ruling until a Seattle-based judge lifts a restraining order.
The restriction was put in place after Microsoft claimed that Motorola was abusing its Frand-commitments - a promise to licence innovations deemed critical to widely-used technologies under "fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory" terms.

Hurr, I'm going to patent everything under the sun, then sue everybody and/or stop them from selling their products!

This is getting ridiculous.

God I hate software patents. I hate them so much.

What I got from that article is that Motorola agreed to let Microsoft use that software in exchange for a fee. Now all of a sudden the agreed upon sum of money is no longer good enough and Motorola is suing for infringement... makes sense to me!

For once, Microsoft isn't the bad guy! Horray!

This just in, Xbox 360 to be re-introduced to Germany; gibs cunningly replaced with machine parts.

Microsoft can appeal that Morotola is violating competition law, if they demand an unreasonale cost to license technology that is widely used in Industry ie create a monopoly.

Ofcourse Microsoft may be the ones refusing to agree to a reasonabel license in hopes of forcing Motorola to violate competition law.

What is this I don't even...

jackie-chan-wtf.png

Come on man let's be fair I'm sure that when we encounter an advanced alien civilization they'll be like 'oh yeah at about that point in our history, we mean when capitalism was still a thing, we had serious problems with copyright policies whose legislative machinery did not move at the same pace as the technology that it was meant to address and as such many companies took advantage of that fact as a means of eliminating or otherwise strongarming competition for the sake of turning a profit but idk once our society made it to the post-scarcity point, and later when we were collectivized into the hivemind structure and became this communally autonomous multi-being you see before you we stopped really having that problem'
Look I'm willing to pay top dollar for whatever drugs you cook up in your free time. Mine aren't good enough anymore.

Come on man let's be fair I'm sure that when we encounter an advanced alien civilization they'll be like 'oh yeah at about that point in our history, we mean when capitalism was still a thing, we had serious problems with copyright policies whose legislative machinery did not move at the same pace as the technology that it was meant to address and as such many companies took advantage of that fact as a means of eliminating or otherwise strongarming competition for the sake of turning a profit but idk once our society made it to the post-scarcity point, and later when we were collectivized into the hivemind structure and became this communally autonomous multi-being you see before you we stopped really having that problem'

This post is the most "What the ****" thing I have read all week.

Go and join the crazy corner DM! Toaster's post is almost as crazy as the reason this thread had to be created!

This post is the most "What the ****" thing I have read all week.
It made perfect sense to me, and I'm not even joking. I guess me, DM, and Toaster just understand aliens better.

It makes more sense if you know or have known someone with alien cancer.

Back