Windows Enhancements

VirusType2

Reaction score
While searching for a good tree style notebook organizer, I found The Guide, and I really love it.

Before I found The Guide, I came across a great webpage featuring some of the best free Windows Enhancements available. I wish I would have discovered some of these a long time ago.

Fourty-Three of the best free Windows enhancements that you should know about
http://www.freewaregenius.com/2009/...dows-enhancements-that-you-should-know-about/

The website has some really detailed reviews, explanations and screenshots, and some great comments. A couple of the programs I installed can only be found if you follow the comments on each page.

Note: A couple of these are standard features in Vista and Win7. Also, there were a couple like the Alt Tab powertoy that I already had installed.

The ones I installed:

OpenTarget
XentinelThumbnails (makes mini icon sized thumbnails in the various explorer views, instead of just thumbnail view)
WinCDEmu (double click an image file to mount and open it in windows)
Sizer
ImageExtender (creates thumbnails for every image type imaginable. (Default in XP is only 5)
RBTray
DesktopMedia (an icon appears on the desktop when you insert removable media and disappears when you remove it)
AllSnap
FreeSnap
Trayconizer (have almost any program that you choose minimize to the system tray instead of the taskbar)

These are all working well. All of them are very customizable. I particularly like Trayconizer. I used it to make The Guide minimize to the system tray instead of the Taskbar, for example. This way I can leave it open all the time without cluttering up the Taskbar.

I also installed SlickRun (instead of Launchy). I've used things like this before. In Vista, there is a similar feature, but apparently this is much faster for some reason. I haven't used it yet, so I'm not sure how useful it will be for me in particular.

Another good Powertoy that is really popular is TweakXP. I've been using that for a long time.

Please list any Windows enhancements that have improved your experience.

Anyway, check out the website.

Back