World of Tanks

Reaction score
Done a search and couldn't find any threads on this which is surprising. Anyway been playing this beta for a month a so now and its top notch. Here's some some info on it:

World of Tanks puts players in command of their very own World War 2 era battle tank. WoT is a team-based game where two sides of up to thirty players each compete to destroy all opposing vehicles. With 150 combat vehicles of American, German, and Soviet design, World of Tanks offers an in-depth gaming experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEdjp72F9l0

The publishers promise a historically accurate setting and action-oriented gameplay. RPG elements also make an appearance, as players will be able to upgrade their tanks with new parts and crew members. New recruits start with a light German or Soviet tank, but after accumulating experience and credits, they will be able to upgrade to heavier models. Additionally, it will be possible to upgrade individual parts such as turrets, chassis, engines, guns, radios, and ammunition types.

Its going to be a free to play aswell when it comes out with the option of buying some extras. My advice if your going to have a go is stick with it until you get some decent tanks as the 1's you start off with are crap, and use your gold on buying a premium account.

You can apply for the beta HERE

Official Site

Aye it's pretty fun. Gonna be good once they have all the clan war stuff implemented.

Worth a go since it's free. Though I can imagine a game about tanks shooting other tanks getting quite boring after a while.

Worth a go since it's free. Though I can imagine a game about tanks shooting other tanks getting quite boring after a while.

Yeah probably, but I love WW2 shit so maybe that will take it a little further for me.

I need to give this another try.
Couldn't really enjoy it the last time because all of the downloaders were broken.

Yeah probably, but I love WW2 shit so maybe that will take it a little further for me.

If they implement some sort of massive map, where American, Soviet, and German tanks seize control of certain areas, and there are constant, ongoing battles for parts of the map, it would be wonderful.
Doesn't Eve do something like that?

If they implement some sort of massive map, where American, Soviet, and German tanks seize control of certain areas, and there are constant, ongoing battles for parts of the map, it would be wonderful.
Doesn't Eve do something like that?

That's pretty much the clan war stuff I mentioned.
Clans will be able to fight for territorial control of a map. They won't be restricted by tank nation of origin though, all teams can be mixed.
http://game.worldoftanks.com/news/general_news/clan_wars_details_revealed
There's more recent, detailed info but I'd be breaking NDA if I shared it.

It won't be anywhere on the scale of EVE sovereignty, but should be great regardless.

Really? I quite like the gameplay even in beta. Once the team/clan stuff is all in properly it'll be great.

Well it is in a closed beta so I wouldn't bank on it being exactly like in that video in the end. I mean considering it's a F2P I don't expect A LOT more but... the whole counterstrike-style you-only-have-one-life kind of thing is played out in my eyes. It's always rewarded camping and hiding and sort of pushes everyone in to the same play style. I think they can do some fairly entertaining variations of play styles with what they have too. Let's see if they do...

Yeah, one life is incredibly boring, only good if you're studying for an exam and need a game to keep you awake in between :p

Dammit, why haven't they accepted me for the beta yet.

Really? I quite like the gameplay even in beta. Once the team/clan stuff is all in properly it'll be great.

I just meant that its absolutely not the kind of gameplay I would want in a tank game. Its basically a glorified third-person shooter. I'm not mad though, because the new Red Orchestra will satiate my tank fix.

Once you die in a battle you can leave it without penalty. If you have other tanks available in your hangar you can being a battle with them, so no need hanging around even if it is 1-life only. People often do out of interest in the outcome though, especially if they're playing with friends.

I just meant that its absolutely not the kind of gameplay I would want in a tank game. Its basically a glorified third-person shooter. I'm not mad though, because the new Red Orchestra will satiate my tank fix.

Not to derail, but I haven't heard a whisper in the wind about that in months... when's it set to release?

/shrug
These games are always a balance between realism and gameplay. Whatever floats ones boat.

Back