WoW still worth playing?

tesher06

Spy
Reaction score
Ok I just want to hear from people who play WoW and hopefuly not get flamed. I have quiet WoW for a year so far but after playing Starcraft 2 I feel like playing WoW again but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Considering I haven't played in a year means I have no clue what has changed, haven't downloaded any updates. lost all my talents etc. I have a level 80 rogue among others but have crapy gear because I never got the chance to raid and what not. I just don't want to join again if in the end it ends up not being worth being gone for a long time. Thanks

No. Not until Cataclysm at least. Unless you like dungeons that involve spamming 1 button and grinding badges.

Depends, unless you get in a good guild that raids, raiding is very annoying, you need a certain gearscore (mod) and the achievement for the raid you wnt to do to get into most pugs.

That's not really what I do though, I like getting my professions up, collecting pets etc and working on achievements and I have a blast.

I think Cataclysm will be good if you want to get back to the main continents. I'm not sure how much it will change, but it seems like a lot of zones changed. I'm curious about where exactly the line is drawn where you get from 80 to 85 and where you just get new content for 1-60 leveling, but either way it's new stuff. I figure it will be another one of those "you'll get to fight deathwing in a couple years" deals where they patch a million new things.

I don't know if I'll start playing again. I quit about a year ago well before the Lich King stuff came about. I was just burnt out on raiding and getting pissed at our loot system (though it was prolly better than previous systems). I'd play again but I know I'd get roped in to raiding. I'd rather do arenas and what not since that is where you need actual talent. Raiding is just getting 25 people who won't consistently **** up.

Anyways, yeah, if you didn't do a lot before, you'll have plenty to do with the added instances. I'm still sad I Didn't finish my legendary from Ulduar. If I ever go back that's the first thing I'm gonna do. I think I was just a handful of shards away.

Cata changes almost everything. At least, that is my experience from the beta. Even areas that still kinda look the same, are different quest-wise. It is all a lot more streamlined.

I'm pretty much burnt out on Lich King right now. I have a 5600+ gearscore on my main and I still find it difficult to get into good raids. Despite my gear and skill, most assholes won't take you unless you have an achievement for the instance. That probably has more to do with my server though. The actual game has been overhauled so significantly that its activities are actually open to most players now instead of a dedicated, successful view. Some people may like that, but I find it's stripped a bit of the heart out of the game I came to love years ago. My main almost never leaves Dalaran outside of random dungeons and the occasional raid. Boring. And for every cool thing I read about Cataclysm, there's always something else that puts me off it.

I'm still subbed, but I haven't played it in about two months. I'm giving Eve Online a shot for something very different and I'm finding myself getting addicted all over again.

So where would I be considered in all of this if I don't have any amazing gear, haven't raided, etc...

and secondly where will the new quests take place in Cataclysim and will the level 80 raid gear even be good still once 85 or will you need it to level?

The 80-85 areas are spread all over Azeroth. And people will most likely move on to the new content, including gear.

So where would I be considered in all of this if I don't have any amazing gear, haven't raided, etc...

A newbie, basically. While getting "back into the swing of things" before Cataclysm drops isn't a bad idea, I wouldn't bother trying to deck out your level 80's. It'll all be obsolete once you hit 85.

What I'd consider doing is getting some of the heirloom items for when the expansion does come out. The bonus % to leveling actually does make a solid difference, especially with two pieces.

What are Heirloom items? Will guilds also really bother with me considering I don't have elite gear? Also how big is the change to Azeroth? Will everything be ruined so that quests before the expansion can't be done? Such a hard decision to make. I'll think about it for a month or 2.

What are Heirloom items?

Bind-to-account items (shoulders, chest) that give (among other stats) 10% experience gain for monsters kills and quest turn-ins.

Will guilds also really bother with me considering I don't have elite gear?

Unlikely. Probably not good ones at least.

Such a hard decision to make. I'll think about it for a month or 2.

It might be out (or nearing release) by then, since it's in Beta now, and this is the third time they've done this whole process. Last I heard was that they were going to try like hell to have it done and out before Blizzcon, which is in October. So, if you're not starting back up until September, you may as well just wait.

What are Heirloom items? Will guilds also really bother with me considering I don't have elite gear? Also how big is the change to Azeroth? Will everything be ruined so that quests before the expansion can't be done? Such a hard decision to make. I'll think about it for a month or 2.

Cataclysm makes everything different without changing too much. Some zones are changed completely while (most) others are about the same as they are now. The quests were changed as well to suit the new 1-60 experience. You won't run into pre-Cata quests that have been forgotten.

Heirlooms are items you can share with all the toons in your account. Their stats change according to your level which is very useful. You buy 'em with ... stuff that drops in hc dungeons I think. The pros will have to answer that in detail.

EDIT What Yorick said.

Heirlooms are items you can share with all the toons in your account. Their stats change according to your level which is very useful. You buy 'em with ... stuff that drops in hc dungeons I think. The pros will have to answer that in detail.

Either Stonekeeper Shards, which come from running (heroic?) dungeons when your faction controls Wintergrasp. Or Emblems, which come from killing bosses in heroic dungeons, and Champion Seals, which come from doing level 80 dailies.

Vanilla WoW was the best. Now it's all about Gearscore and epics are handed out like candy. It's only decent if you're in a top guild but that is very hard to do. Also with every expansion that comes out your previous gear becomes instantly useless. I guess that is the MMO cycle...

No. Not until Cataclysm at least. Unless you like dungeons that involve spamming 1 button and grinding badges.
This.

I have a 5600+ gearscore on my main
Haha, ****ing gearscore. Christ am I glad my guild doesn't bother with that crap.

What I'd consider doing is getting some of the heirloom items for when the expansion does come out. The bonus % to leveling actually does make a solid difference, especially with two pieces.
Current heirlooms won't give you an XP bonus after 80. There'll be an entirely new set at 85.

Either Stonekeeper Shards, which come from running (heroic?) dungeons when your faction controls Wintergrasp.
You get 1 shard for every non-heroic boss kill, 4 for every heroic (I think). You also get a shitton from Vault of Archavon.

Not that it matters though, since most of the shard heirlooms kind of suck.

Current heirlooms won't give you an XP bonus after 80. There'll be an entirely new set at 85.

Well, yeah, but so what. Everyone is going to be rolling new toons immediately anyway with all the Azeroth changes and new races. And 1-80 is a much longer grind than 80-85 will be.

That's what I'm doing Yorick, setting up a rogue alt with heirloom weapons/shoulders/chest. He's undead atm but I might make him a goblin when cata comes...I'll probably start leveling him before that though, then make new chars for cata. I like leveling :p

Yeah I just leveled a shaman with the heirloom items and they do make a noticeable difference.

I feel like my goblin is going to be a hunter, it's one of the few classes I haven't really hit up yet.

I keep toying with the idea of starting a new rogue or something when Cataclysm comes out just for the nostalgia of everyone being in the old zones again, but whenever I think too hard about it I'm reminded of all the bullshit I'd have to put up with again, and it just takes so LONG! Just leveling from 70-80 in the last expansion made me want to put an eye out.

See just now I remembered since I'd be a rogue I'd be in constant need of tank and healer to do any instances, and you finally get them and then people have to go and/or they're just plain retarded... nooo, no no no nononono. Not doing that again.

Instancing is a LOT better with the new cross-realm dungeon finder, even with DPS classes. And with the new races, and content, EVERYONE will be leveling, so it should be easy to find people.

Yeah you just sign up and the game throws a tank/healer/3 dps group together from different realms.

I'm having fun with it and I tried to quit. yeah it gets repetitive at times but I'm playing with a friend from work and its nice to just relax with the game. but if you could wait for Cata to come out, should be fun and gets you a lot of new gear

So in my case... if I just rejoined within a month, what would be the best course of action to do? I have a level 80 rogue and tons of alts with a few being in the mid 40's. I would rather work on my Rogue though.

So in my case... if I just rejoined within a month, what would be the best course of action to do? I have a level 80 rogue and tons of alts with a few being in the mid 40's. I would rather work on my Rogue though.

sign up 2 weeks before Cata comes out, test the waters, then go and get the midnight release.

sign up 2 weeks before Cata comes out, test the waters, then go and get the midnight release.

Haha thats pretty funny considering Cataclysim is also going to upgrade to DX11 and the water in the game is also being updated quiet a bit (I don't like it though). On the note of midnight release... I think I might pass on that considering it's a school year and I only went to the Starcraft 2 midnight release as it is summer now.

Like the others said, there's no point putting tonnes of effort into raiding when Cata isn't really that far off. Just do instances when you feel like it and save up emblems to buy heirlooms with, so when Cata comes out if you want you can level an alt in awesome looking gear with good stats :p

All I'm doing atm is maxing my proffs and getting achievements and like I said, I'm loving it.

I've never heard of this cross-realm LFG system... nice, nice.

one thing is for sure tho...Blizzard is da shit right now!

I keep sending them lots of money each year

I think I read it off somewhere that SC2 is free in Korea as long as they keep their subscription to WoW?

Hmm I'll see soon enough ^^. Anyone play Haomarush, Thunderlord, or spinebreaker?

Well, yeah, but so what. Everyone is going to be rolling new toons immediately anyway with all the Azeroth changes and new races. And 1-80 is a much longer grind than 80-85 will be.
I know, just a heads up.

*already has like 3 sets of heirlooms* >_>

I keep toying with the idea of starting a new rogue or something when Cataclysm comes out just for the nostalgia of everyone being in the old zones again, but whenever I think too hard about it I'm reminded of all the bullshit I'd have to put up with again, and it just takes so LONG! Just leveling from 70-80 in the last expansion made me want to put an eye out.

See just now I remembered since I'd be a rogue I'd be in constant need of tank and healer to do any instances, and you finally get them and then people have to go and/or they're just plain retarded... nooo, no no no nononono. Not doing that again.
As has been pointed out, the LFG makes finding dungeons a lot easier, but it's not always reliable considering it's completely random (except for trying to find people with roughly your gear level, but that seems iffy). I'm really hoping they don't make the heroics in Cat any easier than they were in LK to cater to this though, those became a joke pretty quickly...

Also you won't have to level through Outland and Northrend ever again, since Cat will have new zones for 60-80. Yeah, kind of makes owning those expansions redundant, but what're you gonna do.

WoW was never worth playing.

11 million nerds disagree.

Besides, you play EVE and that's like if you wanted to play WoW but took all the fun parts out and made everyone float around in space.

WoW is a great game, but like any game there's a limit to how much someone can play it without it losing the fun factor (or funk factor if you're in to that). I played it off and on for 5 years and it was always a good time up until I got burnt out on it. As with any MMO there's a constant sense of community and WoW has a fairly diverse crowd considering the genre. I think the biggest issue people have these days is, that if you're in a hardcore raiding guild you can beat a new instance in a week or two and the difficulty comes only in hard modes. It's like beating a game that's really short but the only replayability comes from playing it all again on a harder difficulty. It's just not as exciting. Algalon from Ulduar would be a small exception to this I suppose.

Back