Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OTHER

Votes: 21 37.5%

• Total voters

Thadius Dean

Reaction score
AAAIIEEEE!!!!

*badly dubbed kung fu movie*

you! you there, grasshopper! tell me your favorite martial art! HEEEEYA!

*/badly dubbed kung fu movie*

i just hope that Ninjutsu doesnt win by a long shot :p

Wushu. And Hapkido.
Wushu teaches you how to do the butterfly twist and butterfly kick. Capoeira is pretty cool. It teaches the au batido (broken cartwheel). Taekwondo has an arsenal of powerful kicks. But drunken penis fighting rules.

You dont have Jeet Kun Do......

Its a travesty!!!

Ahem! I voted Muay Thai..

Not because its the most skillfull or gracefull martial art. :p

But because its the one that has taught me the most about fighting. And I mean fighting... Not sparing. Fighting. (It also made me the fittest I have ever been... :p)

Mighta had something to do with having a teacher from Thailand who is both a former world champ... and an absolute phyco... :LOL:

I would do Jeet Kune Do to salute Bruce Lee...the creator of it. And to see what it's like to kick ass like him.

Heheh, Jeet Kun Do is cool...

My brother learnt it and I have learnt bits of it from him. Its a great art. It takes bits from loadsa different other martial arts and puts them together to form one solid very very effective martial art. :)

Heheh, My brother was tought by a guy called Richard Hudson who was tought buy a guy who was tought by Bruce Lee....

Ok Ok!! Its fairly far down the line.... but its much better than some random person teaching you! :)

TWO FISTED MONKEY STYLE!!!!!!

or that one they teach to korean police :l

I took Tae Kwon Do for ~6 years, so... yeah, that one. :p

Here's a list of martial arts just in case.
It's not all of them, just the ones that should've been on the poll.

Hapkido
Wushu
Capoeira
Kuk Sool Won
Choi Kwan Do
Sun Hang Do
Silat
Qin Na
Long Fist
Karate (I can't believe that wasn't on the poll. And other variances such as kobudo and sport karate)
Kenpo
Kendo
Fencing (it's a martial art, yes.)
Boxing
Aikido
Filipino martial arts such as Esrima and Arnis

all martial arts!!!1

*<RJMC> start to fight against a wall....and the wall won*

ShadowFox said:
Whats the difference?

Between each martial art?

Errrr, I dont have time to explain em all..

I need sleep.

But I will tell you a few. :)

1. Judo - Throws, locks, strangles and groundwork. No Punches, Kicks or stikes of any kind. Judo translates to: "The friendly way" Because it is designed to subdue an oponent without harming them. :)

2. Tai Kwon Do - All emphasis in this art is on kicking. Very little is tought about handwork and even less if anything is tought about grapaling and groundwork. There are also so amazingly skillfull moves in this art... which dont necesserally work in a real fight...

3. Kick Boxing - This is commonly a mixture of Western Boxing and Karate. Its basically boxing with some kicks..... Dont really know what else to say.

4. Muay Thai - This is a brutal but very very effective art in which emphasis is put on kicks, however no where near to the extent of Tai Kwon Do. Fighters can fight with their: Feet, hands, Shins, Elbos and Knees.... very very brutal...
Its a ring sport.. knockouts can be a common occurance...

5. Capoeira - A martial art developed by slaves of the British empire a long long time ago ( **I THINK!**) These people told their capters that it was a dance to fool them into letting them practise it... As such it looks like a dance... if a very lively one. ;)
Lotsa showy stuff and you need to be damn flexable and active..

6. Wushu - Also known as Kung fu (Kinda) This is the sorta stuff you see in most martial art movies... Its very very flowing and very effective..

7. Jeet Kun Do - Developed by martial arts legend Bruce Lee it is a mix of many other arts. Designed to take strenghs from anywhere it can. Alot of emphasis is places upon taking down your oponent before they can even get to you.... Very fast and very skillfull.

Thats all I got time for folks....

Maybe I will come back and post some more tomorrow. Glad to help. :)

Aikido is a very cool art, I recommend it to anyone who is willing to take on a martial art.

marksmanHL2 :) said:
Between each martial art?

Errrr, I dont have time to explain em all..

I need sleep.

But I will tell you a few. :)

1. Judo - Throws, locks, strangles and groundwork. No Punches, Kicks or stikes of any kind. Judo translates to: "The friendly way" Because it is designed to subdue an oponent without harming them. :)

2. Tai Kwon Do - All emphasis in this art is on kicking. Very little is tought about handwork and even less if anything is tought about grapaling and groundwork. There are also so amazingly skillfull moves in this art... which dont necesserally work in a real fight...

3. Kick Boxing - This is commonly a mixture of Western Boxing and Karate. Its basically boxing with some kicks..... Dont really know what else to say.

4. Muay Thai - This is a brutal but very very effective art in which emphasis is put on kicks, however no where near to the extent of Tai Kwon Do. Fighters can fight with their: Feet, hands, Shins, Elbos and Knees.... very very brutal...
Its a ring sport.. knockouts can be a common occurance...

5. Capoeira - A martial art developed by slaves of the British empire a long long time ago ( **I THINK!**) These people told their capters that it was a dance to fool them into letting them practise it... As such it looks like a dance... if a very lively one. ;)
Lotsa showy stuff and you need to be damn flexable and active..

6. Wushu - Also known as Kung fu (Kinda) This is the sorta stuff you see in most martial art movies... Its very very flowing and very effective..

7. Jeet Kun Do - Developed by martial arts legend Bruce Lee it is a mix of many other arts. Designed to take strenghs from anywhere it can. Alot of emphasis is places upon taking down your oponent before they can even get to you.... Very fast and very skillfull.

Thats all I got time for folks....

Maybe I will come back and post some more tomorrow. Glad to help. :)
Wushu actually is the term for all the martial art in China.
But modern Wushu like in Canada is more acrobatic and teaches the b-twist and b-kick. There is no belt system and there are many kinds.
Capoeira was developed by slaves in Brazil but disguised as a dance.
Halle Berry took Capoeira when she was in CatWoman.

Tredoslop said:
Wushu actually is the term for all the martial art in China.
But modern Wushu like in Canada is more acrobatic and teaches the b-twist and b-kick. There is no belt system and there are many kinds.
Capoeira was developed by slaves in Brazil but disguised as a dance.
Halle Berry took Capoeira when she was in CatWoman.

Heheh I love that last little fact! :p

And I thought I might be off on a few points there. Particulary about Capoerea... I knew it was slaves but I couldnt remember where on earth they were... lol

And yeah, I kinda lumped WuShu and KungFu together because most people wouldnt know the differences anyway... (I dont really know many seen as I have only learnt bits...) :cheers:

Martial arts outside of Asia aren't as good. If you learn Wushu here in North America, it'll be a bit more acrobatic. But in China, there will be a lot of more styles and really kick ass(es).

Other, Iaido, as I do it, its alot of fun.

Thadius Dean said:
AAAIIEEEE!!!!

*badly dubbed kung fu movie*

you! you there, grasshopper! tell me your favorite martial art! HEEEEYA!

*/badly dubbed kung fu movie*

i just hope that Ninjutsu doesnt win by a long shot :p

I study Krav Maga, but it's not a martial art (we aren't "artists").

marksmanHL2 :) said:

Wushu was designed to be something of a sport or show. So I wouldn't really call it effective.

Tredoslop said:
Martial arts outside of Asia aren't as good

Unfortunately, that's an oudated myth and nothing more. Don't watch so many movies.

I took Judo lessons for two years *orange belt ^^*

Judo or Aikido

Any martial art as they all require a lot of concentration :)

:dozey: Aren't kickboxing and muay thai the same thing?

It's either Muay Thai Kickboxing or Jeet Kune Do for me.

Kickboxing has less use of elbows and smashes compared to Muay Thai.

And as for the best martial art, well its clearly rifle, pistol and heavy weapons. Sure you look dangerous but try dodging bullets in real life.

Its also foolish to believe that western martial arts are useless in comparison to easten. Ultimate fighting has shown that the best warriors in a one on one unarmed are those who are skilled in grappling. You can do anything fancy if the other guy's got you in an arm lock.

My favorite martial art?

Praying Mantis Kung Fu

Been 4 years since i pratice it, I love the fact that there is no belt, no levels, nothing that would "compare" you with the others. As for Wushu and "flippin" martial art, i wouldn't call it martial art, it would be more of a fighting sport just like most martial art schools in america. Alot of martial art schools right now don't teach the philosophy behind the martial art, they just "show" the techniques, you learn them by heart, do it at the exam, get your belt. Alot of kwoons or dojos or else act like this and it makes me sad, because that is not really a martial art. And as for the ppl who think that :bounce:"flippin":imu: is cool in fighting, then you should never fight at all cause your gonna get your ass kicked by the guy who stays firm in his position (and I know what I'm talking about).

Edit: I forgot somethhing i wanted to clarify for some ppl: Real Kung Fu doesn't have much tricks and flipping.

Kung FO: The Five Styles. I done the WinShu Style, and now I am going for TiShy Style.........................

Brian Damage said:

Is that when they kill you twice before you hit the ground?

I did Seido Karate for a few years when I was younger. Dunno if it was the teachers or the art but boy it sucked.

Raxxman said:
Kickboxing has less use of elbows and smashes compared to Muay Thai.

And as for the best martial art, well its clearly rifle, pistol and heavy weapons. Sure you look dangerous but try dodging bullets in real life.

Its also foolish to believe that western martial arts are useless in comparison to easten. Ultimate fighting has shown that the best warriors in a one on one unarmed are those who are skilled in grappling. You can do anything fancy if the other guy's got you in an arm lock.

No. However in a fight with rules most of your grappiling styles ar really effective. However throw in some nut squashing and eye rippin moves and you will see somthing worth watching.

kick boxing just because i dont know the difference between all of them.....i would of voted for mud wrestling though.

I voted for Tae Kwon Do because I do it.
My teacher's amazing; one of the best in the UK, I'm told (not by him, he's quite modest)
He's black and has this big afro. He got started on by a group of skinheads (3-4, maybe?) and f*cked them all up hardcore. One of them now walks with a permanant limp. Best part is, they tried to take him to court - unsurprisingly the judge threw the case out.

Wow.. all the brain cells being wasted here. Thanks for the explanation marksman. Can I have my three minutes back now?

Back