Your Game of the Year (HL2 Excluded)

Sparta

Reaction score
Whats your Game of the Year? (Half-Life 2 not included).

I know, another one of these threads that summarizes the year, but this one excludes Half-Life 2 and forces you to pick only one game. So its different.

Mine is Ninja Gaiden.
I've never had so much fun replaying a game so many times, over and over and over and over, and on the same difficulty as well.

Whats yours? (Remember, Game of the Year other then Half-Life 2 for those of you who would choose it)

Do games that you played this year but weren't made in this year count?
Anyways, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, followed by Doom III, Far Cry and Unreal Tournament 2004 (all tied for 2nd place). Last place would go to: Soul Calibur 2.
I can't wait to give Ninja Gaiden a try.
I might ask you some questions about Ninja Gaiden later on.

Prince of China said:
Do games that you played this year but weren't made in this year count?
Anyways, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, followed by Doom III, Far Cry and Unreal Tournament 2004 (all tied for 2nd place). Last place would go to: Soul Calibur 2.
I can't wait to give Ninja Gaiden a try.
I might ask you some questions about Ninja Gaiden later on.
Ask me anything, anytime :E. And yeah, any game you have played this year, any game at all.

How long is it exactly?
What is the combat system like? Does it have a Prince of Persia style enemy switching system or is like Soul Calibur 2 without the side stepping and more enemies to fight at once?

My stamp of approval for Game of the Year goes to...............................

Far Cry!

MINE GOES TO!!
YES IT WILL GO TO SOMETHING
OMG!!
It goes to a game like RT
It's an RTS
I forgot the W before!
RT:W
R
o
m
e
:
T
o
t
a
l

w
a
r

:)

World of Warcraft.

So far I think it's my game of the year overall, including HL2.

But HL2 is a close second...very close. It's just..HL2 ended quickly, although some of the maps/mods for HL2 were fun, especially Ant Lion Troopers. I have no desire to play CS: Source at the moment, though I still love CS 1.6 and I would still play it if it weren't for WoW, but CS: Source doesn't really appeal to me at all.

Far Cry was a very good game, damn long game (good thing).
Trigens pissed me off too much.

although some of the maps/mods for HL2 were fun, especially Ant Lion Troopers.
You act like all the mods and maps are done!! With "Were". Should be are\will be. Because the current released mods are physic user ones. The real mods are the ones that will come in a month, 2 months, etc.. Those will the big ones. :). Gamers can make the best games, after all they know what they want and that usually is what others want.

this is easy, even if it did include HL2 i would have to say World Of Warcraft! This game is insane! i love it

PES4 :)

Hadn't touched a football game since WE6 ..... needless to say PES4 kicks ass, and is considerably better.

10/10

Delicious Bass said:
this is easy, even if it did include HL2 i would have to say World Of Warcraft! This game is insane! i love it

I agree...it's so fun. Too bad login servers are down...gah !

Minerel said:
You act like all the mods and maps are done!! With "Were". Should be are\will be. Because the current released mods are physic user ones. The real mods are the ones that will come in a month, 2 months, etc.. Those will the big ones. :). Gamers can make the best games, after all they know what they want and that usually is what others want.

I suppose, but I was referring as far as game of the year is concerned. For instance, right now, HL2 has got boring and hasn't held my interest. I've spent much more time playing WoW in the six days I have had it than I have playing HL2 in a month and a half.

HL2 could be my game of the year next year though because of the great mods that are surely so come, but who knows...maybe it'll take a year or two before anything really great will come along. Half-Life 2 is going to need another "Counter-Strike" to take the game really over the top, the way CS did for the original Half-Life.

Really, without Counter-Strike, would many of us really be here? Would there be a Half-Life 2? (probably, but I really don't believe it would be as popular). Counter-Strike kept Half-Life's interest going for six years strong, Half-Life 2 is going to need a mod to do something similiar. Regardless, it surely is a great game, but..again...it needs a ground breaking multiplayer mod.

FarCry....or R:TW..

No WoW for me, can't handle MMORPG addiction.

WoW
ive played more of this than any other game in the same time span
even hl2

I revised my GOTY list:

Overall: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
2nd Place: Far Cry
3rd Place: Doom III
4th Place: Unreal Tournament 2004

Favourite weapons fighting game: Soul Calibur 2-Awesome combat system.

you mean there are games other than HL2?

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War.

Can't decide, there were alot of good ones

but i must say, there were way too many FPS' this year. I'm actually sick of them (Except HL2 and a few others)

Mine has to be Sid Meier's: Pirates!, hands down.

GTA:SA Great game, way better than Vice city.
Excluding WOW since we dont get it till february.

Very close between FarCry, Doom 3, and The Cronicles Of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay

Everyone of those games had its greats. Id say.

1) Half-Life 2

and all those come in 2nd.

Painkiller coming in 3rd.

I'd have to say a tie between Doom3 and Halo2, followed by Painkiller, Far Cry, eh and I'm sure theres some others I'm forgetting but oh well.

The only game I played more than Half-life 2, HL2DM and CS:S would be Battlefield Vietnam. Not a GOTY by far, but I enjoyed myself silly with it.

R:TW. R:TW. Dammit, more people say R:TW.

R:TW!!!!!!!!!!

It's a toss up between UT2k4 and Rome: Total War... I'd have to say that UT2k4 only just wins.

Hmm I haven't a clue but can someone tell me what the hell WoW is all about? I've seen so much stuff about it yet never looked into it. All I know is that it's a MMORPG. Is it pay to play? If so, bollocks - I'm cheap is there a trial?

Well even if i did include hl2 it would be GTA:SA...or TFC :D

Axyon said:
It's a toss up between UT2k4 and Rome: Total War... I'd have to say that UT2k4 only just wins.

Just got UT2004 ET and i cant believe how many games come for just 40$. Really fun. Anyone know any future type mods?

No ww2 stuff.

WoW

Riddick a close second.

(HL2 was unfortunately on 5th place, didn't live up to my expectations).

Halo 2 for me. Anything that can have me up at 1am playing with 16 people, chatting in real time, joking on each like we're old friends.... good. very good.

GOTY for 2004 (HL2 exempt) goes to ...
Rome: Total War.

3-D strategy in the Roman universe was never more exciting, engrossing, and damn addictive.

Half-Life 2 excluded, eh?
I'd choose between Doom 3 or Unreal Tournament 2004...

I guess I'll have to go with UT2k4 then.

Back