Your most recent hardware purchase

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
just bought this case:

bruceleestore@11.jpg

Silverstone Fortress. should be here within a few days. I'm excited cuz it's best quality case I've ever purchased also my first aluminum case. wasnt cheap. it's for a system I'll eventually build in and around the release of win7

what hardware have you purchased recently?

Nice case ;)

The last part I bought was...actually it wasn't a part. An Asus 1000HA netbook.
But the past week I've been looking up SATA dvd burners, specifically one that does good audio rips (protected cd or HTOA) and is no slouch at dvd read/writes. Have not found the one yet.

latest thing was a terabyte hard drive. Need more money before I can do a big upgrade though lol.

Good cases are definitely worth it.

Nice case stern.

Asus I recently heard something good about a $25-$30 Samsung burner. I've always bought Lite-On because they are cheap and fast and I know what to expect. With certain brands of discs 99/100 times they won't fail. But that's the trick - using the right brands.

Last purchase was a Deathadder mouse, a mouse pad, and I forget what else. Mouse was malfunctioning so that's a god damn bummer. Sent it back but haven't heard anything yet.

Do you know how many times I bought electronics that didn't work properly? In my entire life, only three times. Once was a Microsoft product, and the other time was a Razer keyboard where they keys didn't work properly. You had to hit them directly in the center or they wouldn't register! A $100 keyboard with every feature in the book - that - doesn't - keyboard properly, god damn!

So this is the second time I've had an absolutely critical problem with a Razer product. I'm almost certainly not going to buy Razer again.

Nice case ;)

The last part I bought was...actually it wasn't a part. An Asus 1000HA netbook.
But the past week I've been looking up SATA dvd burners, specifically one that does good audio rips (protected cd or HTOA) and is no slouch at dvd read/writes. Have not found the one yet.

I was thinking of buying the same netbook but am hesitant because it's my first laptop (even though it's for my son)

Hazar: what drive did you buy? I've heard some bad things about the Seagate 7200.11 drives and am considering a western digital black instead

havent tried any of the samsung drives. always thought they were second tier after western digital and seagate drives

Recently upgraded ram to 6GB, monitor to 23" 1920x1080 and video card to a 4890.

havent tried any of the samsung drives. always thought they were second tier after western digital and seagate drives

Why would you think that?

I haven't got time to find the benchmark. I think it was on Tom'shardware and they were quite impressed. (It won, hands down). Nearly Raptor speed in most respects, but 1TB, quiet and energy efficient. Also cheap as dirt. Power selling FTW.

You can have a look:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source...w+benchmark&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=ee36edbd3c16a1c5

Personally, I'd wait on buying anything until a benchmark of the new one comes out. The F3 may be even faster. (a little I suspect)

X-treme Audio sound card. Probably not worth it since its only supported in a couple games otherwise the same as my onboard. But it was my last purchase from Circuit City.

Why would you think that?

I haven't got time to find the benchmark. I think it was on Tom'shardware and they were quite impressed. (It won, hands down). Nearly Raptor speed in most respects, but 1TB, quiet and energy efficient. Also cheap as dirt. Power selling FTW.

You can have a look:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source...w+benchmark&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=ee36edbd3c16a1c5

Personally, I'd wait on buying anything until a benchmark of the new one comes out. The F3 may be even faster. (a little I suspect)

probably because seagate and western digital are seen as the best drives on the market

They got spanked by the newcomer - Samsung Inc. is an absolute monster at the moment.

I think it was some sort of WD "green" hard drive which just basically means they skimp out on speed when they can. It was a good deal at the time though.

Most recent hardware for my computer are these badasses.

pretty.jpg

This monitor which I bought a few months ago. Still in love with it, and feeling the opposite towards the rest of my comp, which is in dire need of replacement.

Bought a Western Digital 5400rpm 320gig hard drive for my laptop. I know 7200 is the better choice, but I'm a poor college student and it works pretty damn good for me.

I think it was some sort of WD "green" hard drive which just basically means they skimp out on speed when they can. It was a good deal at the time though.

this is what I'm looking at cuz it's cheap

seems to work perfectly fine for mass data storage for me. I also put my games on it and I haven't had any issues with that either.

so not worth getting the Black Caviar model for $20 more? it's supposedly faster

I don't think so but you'd have to look at benchmarks to see if it's really worth it.

and btw, you post too much, you've almost caught up already D:

this is what I'm looking at cuz it's cheap

so not worth getting the Black Caviar model for $20 more? it's supposedly faster

Might as well pay $85 for the Samsung. It's got new technology: high density platters. Which means 1 less platter, which means less heat, less expense for you(less parts!), less things to wear, less energy required, less volume (decibels), less platters to seek through, less distance the arm has to move for seeking, meaning much faster file access.

The Samsung joint I liked on pg.1 will smoke that WD drive in a speed test and is probably the same price.

I have the WD 750 AAKS drives (before they relabeled them as the classic Black) and they are painfully slow. For example, if you right click a very large folder on the HDD and click properties, Windows will scan the folder and count up the size in bytes. My WD drive is literally 10-20 times slower. If the folder is 150 GB, this is the difference of 10-20 minutes waiting for it to count, compared to Samsung 1 minute.

Not to mention the Samsung is 1 TB, which you might need.

I bought a ton of shit when I built my computer 2 years ago. Haven't' bought anything since. I would like to get a better graphics card but that would require me upgrading my power supply as well. Just don't want to mess with it atm.

The Samsung F3 is @ 500GB per platter. Same as a couple new WD HDDs.
I have not actually seen any good reviews for the F3. Just this translated simple review. Basic performance tests show similar performance as the F1. A hair less in some tests (I/Os per sec and max MB/sec). It does have less noise and vibration. So it may not be a performance bump but just cutting costs (less platters). Have to wait for a detailed review.

1TB 2009 review.
benchmarks (MB/sec more is better).
drive models and info (platters/heads/RPM etc)

Regarding the old drives:
The 750 and 500 WD drives were 188GB per platter.
The Samsung F1 was 334GB per platter.
WD released their 640GB drive about the time the F1 came out. It was @ 320GB per platter which matched the density of the Samsung F1 (Samsung's F1 750gb actually used 3 platters like the 1TB vs WD's 640GB's 2 platters). Except WD only used 16MB cache instead of 32 like Samsung. WD outperformed the F1 in program loading, gaming, and digital image manipulation. The F1's cache made it faster in Nero Recode 2 benchmark and at streaming multi-gigabyte files.

I just bought me an Intel X-25 80GB G2 and a WD 1TB RE3 Caviar Black for my upcoming x58 build. It's going to be beast mode.

sounds good Asus, thanks for clarifying and correcting my outdated information. I apologize for the unintentional misinformation.

So this is the inexpensive WD Caviar Black recommended now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284&Tpk=WD1001FALS

We will do some summarizing now. First of all, we can name the fastest 1-terabyte drive in all our tests. It is the WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS). This is the best buy if you prefer maximum performance. But if you don’t like its high price, you can take the WD Caviar Black (WD1001FALS) which is somewhat slower but costs much less. The Hitachi Deskstar E7K1000 (HDE721010SLA330) is third in terms of sheer speed.
Accoridng to the results of our today's test session we decided to award Hitachi E7K1000 and Western Digital Caviar Black with our Editor's Choice title as the best HDD choice for a performance home computer system and Western Digital Green Power WD10EADS - with our Editor's Choice title as the best home theater PC hard drive:

Problem I always have is that I have bought drives just before new ones come out and change everything. By the time I'm in the market to buy one of these, they will probably be dogs. :rolleyes:

Bought myself a new keyboard after I poured a can of Coca Cola in my old one:

logitech-illuminated-keyboard-05.jpg

Dang Shaker, that keyboard is gorgeous. I'm in envy. Only thing it's lacking in my opinion are media keys.

WD released their 640GB drive about the time the F1 came out. It was @ 320GB per platter which matched the density of the Samsung F1 (Samsung's F1 750gb actually used 3 platters like the 1TB vs WD's 640GB's 2 platters). Except WD only used 16MB cache instead of 32 like Samsung. WD outperformed the F1 in program loading, gaming, and digital image manipulation. The F1's cache made it faster in Nero Recode 2 benchmark and at streaming multi-gigabyte files.

WD's 640g drive has a 32mb cache

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?...S&manufacture=Western Digital WD&promoid=1008

I'm guessing this was after that article was written?

That keyboard is damn sexy! If I needed one I'd get that one.

Not the kind of hardware you were asking about but ...
HTC-Touch-Pro2.jpg

Bought myself a new keyboard after I poured a can of Coca Cola in my old one:

logitech-illuminated-keyboard-05.jpg

Damn you Shaker. I've been musing for some time about getting a backlit keyboard and now you've found me the perfect one, and just when I was trying to save some moneys...

*shakes fist at Maker

Anyhows last hardware purchase was another WD 320GB Passport though to avoid confusion with the one I already have I opted for a snazzy Red one. ;)

Woot!!! mine turned up today..frikken lovely. Easy to use, and extremely quiet. Definitely recommended ;)

Still very happy with it. My only tiny gripe with it that the left shift button could've been a bit bigger. I really don't see why there should be two buttons for the | and the \. The keyboard on the picture seems to have a normal left shift button.

I'd say at a guess that's an American Keyboard whereas you'll have a European/English one like me.

Back