I need the assistance of the community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe Newell

Reaction score
Ever have one of those weeks? This has just not been the best couple of days for me or for Valve.

Yes, the source code that has been posted is the HL-2 source code.

Here is what we know:

1) Starting around 9/11 of this year, someone other than me was accessing my email account. This has been determined by looking at traffic on our email server versus my travel schedule.

2) Shortly afterwards my machine started acting weird (right-clicking on executables would crash explorer). I was unable to find a virus or trojan on my machine, I reformatted my hard drive, and reinstalled.

3) For the next week, there appears to have been suspicious activity on my webmail account.

4) Around 9/19 someone made a copy of the HL-2 source tree.

5) At some point, keystroke recorders got installed on several machines at Valve. Our speculation is that these were done via a buffer overflow in Outlook's preview pane. This recorder is apparently a customized version of RemoteAnywhere created to infect Valve (at least it hasn't been seen anywhere else, and isn't detected by normal virus scanning tools).

6) Periodically for the last year we've been the subject of a variety of denial of service attacks targetted at our webservers and at Steam. We don't know if these are related or independent.

Well, this sucks.

What I'd appreciate is the assistance of the community in tracking this down. I have a special email address for people to send information to, [email protected]. If you have information about the denial of service attacks or the infiltration of our network, please send the details. There are some pretty obvious places to start with the posts and records in IRC, so if you can point us in the right direction, that would be great.

We at Valve have always thought of ourselves as being part of a community, and I can't imagine a better group of people to help us take care of these problems than this community.

Gabe

Oh god..... it's real.... The Halflife2.net community stand at your side sir.

Naughty spitcodfry... NAUGHTY. ;(

im sure you will have the entire communitys total support.

That really sucks gabe....

well i'll be sure to keep an eye out for anything suspicious.

Good Luck! Your community loves you, I know there must be some people out there that can help --- Soli

Wow, that sucks. It also sucks when a game developer misleads their fans and gives false information. :eek:

genocide....yes genocide will work.

heh, i hope someone finds out who it is, and stops him.

Sorry to hear that Gabe, I'll tell you if I see trouble.

Wow, I can't beleive this is actually real :(. I would start and find out who the punk was that started the original thread at the steam forums, I'm sure you can gets lots of information from that.

omg! :( This doesn't look to have a happy ending :(

this is so crap. :( the ppl who did this need to be caught

i think im gonna be sick, so does this effect the game in anyway, i mean, should we worry?

We help you then we want details on multiplayer damnit! or TF2 screens!:)

Gabe, we will track down this ass, and personally punish him :)

i speak for everyone when i say...

WE LOVE YOU GABE

See you in hell *****!

We will try to assist you in any way possible.

This should be the final proof NOT to use Outlook Express! I'd be really pissed at MS if i were you Gabe. Anyway, i feel for you :(

Sorry to hear about this gabe, i think it totally sucks. I hope that whoever did this will burn in hell with there testicles on rusty lemon covered spikes!
You could sue there asses off, or just kill them:D

I'm sure you have the whole communtiy behind you in finding them and taking them down.

Gabe worked for Microsoft, then sotp make suck sucky programs as Outlook!:&

Wow very kind of you to post on here Gabe. I am really very truely sorry for what has happened but lets face it with something this big it has a high risk of something happening.

If I ever hear anything (which I doubt) I will of course pass on the information.

Very sorry to hear of what has happened :(

Good luck

ffs! Could it get any more worse? first the delay and then this!? DOH!

You shouldn't happen to have any of the infected stuff left right?

It should then be possible to set up some sniffers and sniff where's it's sent to. Anyways i'll be more than happy to help you with finding the people if you got an ip.

Hmmf, why do people have to do stuff like this :(

Bloody hackers chase them down! and burn them at the stake :flame:

anyone have a possible idea of the hackers?

my first choice would be the *****'s trying to get the source code to make advance copies of hacks for hl2 and tf2

Damn :/

I'm sure everyone will keep an ear to the ground, sucks pretty bad.

Just a note to everyone, this is some serious stuff going on here, so if you know something dont be a nonce, tell Valve what you know. But also, dont make crap up, these guys have got enough on their hands at this moment.

I never experianced anything like this...this is something i gonna tell my kids about in the future :)

gabe, all of the community is on your side, thats not kosher...i dun suppose we could get a copy of hl2 as a reward? just kidding, keep up the good work guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back