I need the assistance of the community

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew it. :(

hey, would this have a part in the cause of the delay? Hopefully the leak won't cause another one. ;(

oh one more thing. last night in irc on gamesnet there was a dude who came into #gamesnet who said he has the source code on his site and you could download it.

the homepage from where the rar was from is this..

http://www.cowclops.net/

i wont put the filename or directory so that other people wont download it. i myself tried to download it but was never able to due to high traffic on the site, which blocked every port to download the file.

i never was able to download it.

i home theres a chance if that site can help at all.

thanks.
Joe

where do we even start in tracking this piece of shit down

im sure there is at LEAST 1 professional hitman among all of us HL2 fans.

wasnt that cs clan, g0t or whatever their called.. arent they the ones to first leak it?? anways, sorry to hear this, this really sucks and you have my support gabe

if i was you i'd not post your finding here, but e-mail them to valve software instead :)

maybe you could email that, Spaz. Dunno if Gabe is still browsing the forums.

HOLY CRAP! Im at school all day bored as hell then I come home log on and find THIS!!

This royally sucks. Whoever did this should be disembowled with a plastic fork!!

Hopefully it wasn't any sort of inside job. Hopefully whoever did this will be caught.

Originally posted by |CC|Hudson
im sure there is at LEAST 1 professional hitman among all of us HL2 fans.

*shifty eyes

Holy shit...
this is worse than i even imagined, not the "average" leak-situation it seems.
Damn i wish i had any clue about where this whole mess came from :((.
All best wishes to Valve.

oh well thats what you get for using Microsoft.
some peeps just dont learn.

Done done and done. if i get any information I will send it to you ASAP.

The best thing to do Gabe is call the local FBI office here in Seattle (I'm sure you know this) and see if they can help you find these ****s who did this. Seeing how my-g0t were the first to post the leak I would start with them.

How will this effect the game being delayed? I don't think it matters.

Going to the police and getting the records from valves ISP seem to be the only real option they have. You never know the hacker may have been stupid enough to download directly to his own PC rather than via a proxy. Even if it was via a proxy you then go to the ISP of the proxy and repeat ad infinitum.

well as a start you should try out that t0y kid from the ***** clan who posted these afterall. I beleive he did it himself or someone else from his clan or close to him did it.

http://www.*****.com/index2.html (has annoying music)

intercepting emails is one of the key aspects of the ***** community...*sight*

I am very sorry for what has happened over the course of this day and that it will be sorted out in the future.

Originally posted by jAkUp
wasnt that cs clan, g0t or whatever their called.. arent they the ones to first leak it?? anways, sorry to hear this, this really sucks and you have my support gabe

thats what i said. the [my g0t]'s may have started all of this

Originally posted by alco
maybe you could email that, Spaz. Dunno if Gabe is still browsing the forums.

planing to do it now.

i think i say this for everyone when i say, we are ready to kill for you gabe.
DAMN this blows.

Don't have any info but this.. A friend posted it, it's suppose to come from a cracking-team so..
[PRETIME]HALF.LIFE.2.READ.NFO-DEViANCE PRED

I'll mail you in case you miss this..

If I find anything out, you'll be the first to know Gabe.

I hope your tomorrow starts a better week for you. :)

YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS? THE TF-2 THATS IN THE SOURCE IS REAL!

WE HAVE TF2! I REPEAT WE HAVE TF2!

Gabe, your post seems to suggest that an external person has had direct access to internal Valve machines. Are you confident this source release is the only data they grabbed, or are we in a "lets keep our fingers crossed" situation?

Sorry to hear about the incident, but I guess this is the time to invest in a network that isn't accessable outside of your office... :/

Originally posted by Gabe Newell
Yes, the source code that has been posted is the HL-2 source code.

4) Around 9/19 someone made a copy of the HL-2 source tree.
That's what scares me the most. Shouldn't the word "partial" be in there somewhere? He says it like it's the entire source code that's been taken.

I hope they find out who did it, unfortunately I don't think it's very likely. :( Still, if the guy wasn't careful or if he's been bragging about it somewhere he shouldn't have, it's definitely a possibility.

with all due respects, why o why were the production computers, or computers with access to the source code, given access to the internet (via proxy, NAT, whatever).... ??? it's just asking for trouble IMO

Question: was the game delayed because VALVe were aware of the hack?

The solution *would* be 1) for everyone who has the source code to delete it, 2) get others to delete it, and 3) e-mail [email protected] with any mirrors to the file. #3 we can all do, and I urge everyone to do #'s 1 & 2.

i already deleted it.

it looked nice though... :eek:

They need more time to finish the game. Well done gabe.

(5 years of nothing and now this, k)

The solution *would* be 1) for everyone who has the source code to delete it, 2) get others to delete it, and 3) e-mail [email protected] with any mirrors to the file. #3 we can all do, and I urge everyone to do #'s 1 & 2.

Man, I feel for you guys at Valve. This must be crushing for you, like losing a baby or something. Man, I have no words :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back