I need the assistance of the community

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow im sorry gabe :( valve is good people no matter what anyone says. why would anyone do this to the guys making what could possibly be one of the best games of our time :)

is it illegal for people to have this code? lots are sharing it.

i would do anything short of killing myself to help valve...

Gabe:
Thanks for posting in the HL2.net forum. Hopefully ya'll get the bastards who did this.

Yes, it is actually illegal to access, use or distribute the code.

This is really depressing. Hope it all gets sorted out.;(

a) It's VERY poor in programmer circles to look at other people's source code when it's not meant to. And when I mean very poor, I mean that it's one of the ultimate sins.

b) I believe that the source code might lie under copyrights, but that's usually covered by an EULA.

c) Copyright or no, this is literally stealing the programmers' personal property, and having worked on a couple major programming projects my head would be exploding in anger at the fact that someone stole my own creation.

"is it illegal for people to have this code? lots are sharing it."

Yes, its all copyrighted.

Apart from the fact that it is a big stab in the back for Valve, this is just a very serious crime.

man sure i was mad at valve. but this depress's me so f'ing much. I don't want peopel getting hl2 for free. i want steam rape'ing people's ass's so that there aren't any mp cheats.

god :(

i bet it'd be some little bastard in korea that was a sore loser in cs... bastards... there's nothing we can do here, unless we counter hack them

Originally posted by P4boy
After Valves recent treatment of its fans over release dates

I wouldnt hold your breath. The people who did this were probably just waiting for an excuse to give Valve some grief. When are big business gonna wake up and release you can only tread on the ants so much before one of them bites you back.

Rather than ask the community I think you would do better to contact the FBI and report the crime.

Agreed and very well said

One thing does kick ass, TF2 is the big multiplayer secret !! Awesome !

i hope this dont rurin the game for everyone elce :/ will piss me off i know whats gunna happen before i get it

I just found links to the source code and i have just sent gabe a email so he can remove them.

I just found links to the source code and i have just sent gabe a email so he can remove them.

Exactly. I mean have your legitimate gripes about steam and the delay and huff and puff all you want about boycotts, etc etc, but for petes sake have the common decency not to lambast Valve as deserving this. Sure, lax security invites trouble but this isn't a bloody demo build or warez we are talking about this is their new franchise engine and IP...

There is little doubt in my mind that the hacker in question was a moronic pleb who thought Valve owed him for their ‘grievous’ and unspeakably evil transgressions – ie. *dread* DMR stuff in Steam / non standard file distribution, and delay silence. OMG! :p The last thing we need is more dummy spitting apologists for this kind of dribble. How old are we all again?

Originally posted by scurvy

Just in case anyone is any doubt, yes it is. It also is probably unwise to have it, no matter how cool you think it might be or how innocent your goals are.

'I just want to have a look', 'I was just looking to see if its real' etc. are not valid reasons for having it.

When the police asks you why you are driving a stolen ferrari, the answer 'I just wanted to see how it drives, I didnt know it was stolen' is not going to go down too well....

Now although for most of you the chance of getting involved in any investigation is minimal if that, dont forget your downloads were most likely logged, and if there is an investigation, as there is bound to be, there is no reason to take the risk of them turning up on your doorstep, and DEFINATELY no reason for them to turn up and find something, eh?

I truly hope they catch the responsible people and make them face the consequences. Most of all I'd like them to have to face the guys at Valve whose work they just sabotaged.

Aike

Any of you people that now bash valve for letting the 30th slip wonder whether the delay was in fact caused by this? I mean, maybe they were going for a release on the 30th, but then noticed that someone had made of copy of the source (and other weird things going around). This might explain why they kept quiet for so long as they had to decide what to do about the matter. They kept saying to us (the fans) that hl2 would be release on the 30th, but then BOOM something like this happens.

In any case, I can only hope that Valve can fix whatever there is to be fixed. I for one feel extremely sorry for the Valve guys right now... can only wish Valve&Gabe good luck.

Originally posted by FreeYayo
thats what valve gets for delaying their September 30th date they were standing by, if they released it, this might not of happened.
Gabe says things started to happen on the 11th. The release date was still the 30th at that time. So if it was the hacker then I think they would have done it regardless of whether they made the release date.

Originally posted by FreeYayo
thats what valve gets for delaying their September 30th date they were standing by, if they released it, this might not of happened.
Gabe says things started to happen on the 11th. The release date was still the 30th at that time. So if it was the hacker then I think they would have done it regardless of whether they made the release date.

This is gonna sound weird, but i think offering some sort of reward could be the best way for this (like one of the pcs in the Valve offices that can run HL2 like water). It will definately help spread the word and motivate people to get to the bottom of this.

This disappoints me, it brought a tear to my eye.

Heartless b*stard who did this. :(

I advise that mods not use it until word is given by Valve. That is what my mod is doing.

Folks,
5 years in the making. Count em. FIVE years. My heart goes out to the developers at Valve. You guys busted ass and got ripped after 5 years of development, before the game was even released. This is truly a sad day.

All of you download this source code and attempt to compile it are breaking the law. You WILL serve prison time if found. And I hope you do. I hope you get butt ****ed by every prison in-mate so you see what it feels like. This is the biggest bunch of shit.. you get lame ass script kiddies out there with pre-designed software and denial of services attacks and they pull this shit. You damn kids don't learn anything in life do you. And if you're some 30yr old bum pulling this shit off.. you're just as pathetic as a 12 year old boy.

Now guess where this leads us. Valve will be spending their time resecuring their network, their source code, their steam network, and attempting to investigate this further. When before all of this.. ALL that time was spent designing and attempting to release the game for us hopefully by Holiday season. You ****ing morons just ****ed all of us. Not only that, when it does come out.. it will already be EXPLOITED to the fullest. The very first day we join a server in multiplayer.. we are going to be bombarded with assholes who have designed cheat mods.. and none of us will feel safe enough to play the damn game we have been waiting for, for years.

You know.. many people go "hey, get over it.. it's just a game". I'm a software developer.. I know what it's like spending countless hours, days, months, nights, weekends.. what have you... coding and debugging software. You are so PROUD of something you design. It's really an amazing accomplishment. To have somebody STEAL it from you.. illegally, and attempt to exploit it.. in every means possible, cheating, hacking, making their own game and calling it their own, it's just sickening to see or hear.

The only thing a game company has is their source code. It's a sacred investment. Let's not forget that nobody has HL1 source code. And for good reason. Cheaters. Exploitation. One of the greatest games in the world.. has now been ****ed with by dipshits who can't pull their heads out of their asses.

I hope all of you who download this source, and especially the ones who hacked Valve.. get what's coming to them. I hope you rot for this. You don't ****ing believe me? Things come around in life.. whether it's a bus, prison time, or a painful death, I hope you get what you deserve.

Go to hell you ****ING morons.
Jesus christ.

Good Luck to you Valve.

maybe fragmaster did it to defend his title :)
no that isn't funny

i hope they find whoever did this and sue the hell out of them

Originally posted by thop
This should be the final proof NOT to use Outlook Express! I'd be really pissed at MS if i were you Gabe. Anyway, i feel for you :(

its not OUTLOOK EXPRESS that is the only thing to blame, it's the use of the preview pane, wha is it? it opens your mails inline exactly the same way as opening via double click, whatever is on the mail is displayed and if any code is in there is launched so basically you are opening the mail normally by using the preview pane, not a wise move :|

but yah, this kinda sucks, especially if it delays hl2 more

and what's teh dealw ith

http://home.primus.ca/~alexmakas/images/misc/hl2.jpg, for real?

Guys, i think you should all delete any copys of the source you might have, and give a links to [email protected] to any download mirrors of sites.

The guys who done this have taken it too far, and when it starts to actully hurt people they are taking the piss. Lets put a end to this crap.

If i was valve i would start with those ***** fags and that t0y22 guy.

I can't say im suprised of this, of course i dont say its good but when a doom3 demo got leaked, anything is possible theese days because of some bastards trying to act cool.

What suprises me is they stole something right in fron of your own computer, that must really piss every1 there off.

I agree. It IS illegal to download that source code. You WILL serve prison time if caught. You are just as guilty as the guys hacking in to Valve.

Let me put this in to plain english for you idiots out there..

You drive to Valve Software headquarters, you pick up a rock, you throw it through the main door window, you smash the rest of the window and make your way through the building.. you sit down at at Gabe's desk, you go through his email, you make a copy of the SRC directory tree, burn it to a disk, run home, and dodge the cops.

You ****ing dumbasses hear me? Any of you, ANY of you other than valve who downloaded the software just commited the crime above. Believe me, the FBI would nail you with it. Not exactly in those terms, but you WILL serve prison time.

If you want to help Gabe and Valve out.. don't download it. Don't let your curiosity get the best of you. Don't break the law. Don't turn on Valve. If you have it already, do the right thing and delete it and forget about it. You have no idea how helpful this will be to Valve. As futile as this all sounds.. it's the only thing YOU can do.

Again, good luck Gabe. I'm truly sorry this happened.

Well, I know everyone is up in arms about this, but lets consider facts. HL2 was delayed, no reason, no explanation, no public message on the website and now we have to do Gabe's dirty work? He worked for M$, so he knows more than we do, he has security logs, he also should realise that he has the most valuable product known to man on the earth at the moment. I'm quite sure his team has the technical acumen to track these people down. He should be able to find which system allowed entry and from what IP address, speak to the ISP, don't ask the community who you've continually let down without an explanation. Why put it on us? You couldn't be fair, or decisive about the delay. Hell, we still don't have a release date, yet, holidays? Well I live in the UK and don't have the same holidays. I haven't got a f*cking clue when it comes out and to be quite honest I'm passed the point of caring now. All we hear is b*llshit, no solid answers and yet you expect us to find a hacker for you? What have you given us in return? How are we supposed to do this? Do we have access to your logs? I don't think so? Face it, it wasn't hacking it was an internal leak, it couldn't be anything else and you know it, Gabe. I have a mate who works in high level internet security and this wouldn't have happened in any company he secured. He may even be able to look at your system and see the hacker. So, what's the reward? Another delayed release date?

Originally posted by Hatte
Did any of you sheep stop to think that maybe this is a hoax by valve themselves?

Lets look at the facts:

There is obvious code that doesnt belong, IE openGL code, quake header files. etc.
now that might be explainable IF they built the source engine from the old hl/modified quake 1 engine, but they used the havok engine

many fanboys(you know who u are) are upset over the release delay, now with gabe's plea many ppl are sympathetic with valve, its like giving a dog a bone so it stops barking.

With this source code out, there will be ppl looking to understand the code, some for their own education, more for the creation of various cheats that have become standard to the CS world, and im sure all the cheat makers will be looking for the chance to release the first hl2 hack. this fake code would put these cheat designers through a lot of work to try to understand algorithms that wont even be used in the game.

This leak is far too serious to be a hoax planned by valve...

Man this thread shows again what sort of retarded mouthbreathers the Internet can spawn. Some of you guys really need to fall over and die.

just one question to Gabe: Will this delay HL2 even more? Or do you think you can stay on track with the release? I can't wait to PAY you MY MONEY to BUY HALF LIFE 2 *hint* :)

Originally posted by DarkJedi
u know, y are all of u feeling sad and crap, just because a so called gabe is sad, boo hoo. did anyone feel bad for jon carmack when doom 3 got leaked?

A game leakage is one thing. A complete source code leakage is indefinite worse... This incredible

just one question to Gabe: Will this delay HL2 even more? Or do you think you can stay on track with the release? I can't wait to PAY you MY MONEY to BUY HALF LIFE 2 *hint* :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back