I need the assistance of the community

Status
Not open for further replies.
honestly guys, u weren't feeling sorry for valve a few hours ago when we didn't know if it was real or fake. u guys just kept on downloading and talkin about it and talkin about it (me too, but i'm not bickering about how the guy who did it should get punished to the fullest extent, blah blah blah). seriously, don't change ur mind and ideas once this "gabe" character says "i need ur help" i think thta's a load of crap, y am i supposed to believe this is the real gabe? and i'm the freakin pope. get off ur damn high horses, and go back to ur damn lives and quit kissin the "gabe's" freakin ass, geez, it's pathetic.

Originally posted by bate18
where do we even start in tracking this piece of shit down
Chat rooms and popular hacker message boards. You don't pull of something of this magnitude and not try to attach your name to it. Hackers are traditionally arrogant attention seekers and somebody is going to brag about it. Just keep your "ears" open.

Yea you think it's funny..
go download it, then give me your name and address. then we'll see what happens. huh? find that funny now kid? that's what i thought.

gabe wants sources.. we'll start with you. go right ahead, post your name and address.

:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

I know who hacked valve and I took care of them. There were 2 guys in a van outside valves headquarters with a wireless connection piggy backing on valves wireless corp connection. I snaped a pic below for proof.

PROOF

Well, it sucks for Valve but I think that it is pretty funny. Its not every day that somebody like valve gets the source code stolen for the game of the year and spread about the internet.

If and when the guy that did it gets caught I hope he is punished but we'll see what happens with that.

I wouldn't mind getting a hold of the code and reading some of it. Maybe they should just turn it into an open source project! :D

And whoever was talking about downloading the code being the same as breaking and entering and stealing the code is smoking some serious crack. Downloading the HL2 source would probably be about the same as recieving stolen property, a slap on the wrist. And thats only if they prove it.

It would be a good idea to motivate people to help if you put everyone's name who tried to help in the game credits! :D

I'll keep an eye out, but I don't know many people who would even know how to do such a thing.

Originally posted by Washuu
hacker, i hope u get castrated with a rusty plastic spork!!!!
you do know that there are always ways of finding you.

if its a plastic spork, well then it can't rust! i think you mean just a plain rusty metallic spoon. because i dont know of many metallic sporks.

Note the bits I've put in bold.

There's a lot of talk flying around right now that the Half-Life 2 source code was basically stolen from VALVe. As usual, HL2Files tries to avoid adding to the rumor-fest that surrounds this game, but we've decided - with reservation - to at least put it to you and let you decide.

The HalfLife2.net forums received this post earlier from a "Gabe Newell"

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ever have one of those weeks? This has just not been the best couple of days for me or for Valve.
Yes, the source code that has been posted is the HL-2 source code.

Here is what we know:

1) Starting around 9/11 of this year, someone other than me was accessing my email account. This has been determined by looking at traffic on our email server versus my travel schedule.
2) Shortly afterwards my machine started acting weird (right-clicking on executables would crash explorer). I was unable to find a virus or trojan on my machine, I reformatted my hard drive, and reinstalled.
3) For the next week, there appears to have been suspicious activity on my webmail account.
4) Around 9/19 someone made a copy of the HL-2 source tree.
5) At some point, keystroke recorders got installed on several machines at Valve. Our speculation is that these were done via a buffer overflow in Outlook's preview pane. This recorder is apparently a customized version of RemoteAnywhere created to infect Valve (at least it hasn't been seen anywhere else, and isn't detected by normal virus scanning tools).
6) Periodically for the last year we've been the subject of a variety of denial of service attacks targetted at our webservers and at Steam. We don't know if these are related or independent.

Well, this sucks.

What I'd appreciate is the assistance of the community in tracking this down. I have a special email address for people to send information to, [email protected]. If you have information about the denial of service attacks or the infiltration of our network, please send the details. There are some pretty obvious places to start with the posts and records in IRC, so if you can point us in the right direction, that would be great.

We at Valve have always thought of ourselves as being part of a community, and I can't imagine a better group of people to help us take care of these problems than this community.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before you panic, even if this is true, it probably isn't going to affect HL2's production since the code is supposedly a month or so old in the first place. We don't recommend paying too much mind to this rumor until HL2Files or other reputable sources bring you something a little more verifiable. Rest assured, as soon as we know, you'll know.

Now whether the guy who wrote this is ( sadly ) jealous or just plain disturbed I don't know but that's quite insulting.

man Gabe, you have my complete support. i will help with what ever little I can.

I think the only thing we "haxing n00bs" can do is not to download it and tell people not to download it.

RANTINGS

*PREPARES TO BE FLAMED*

Ahem.

Maybe the folks at valve should A) Try a NON LAME e-mail reader (outlook express? In a production environment? ARE YOU NUTS!?)

Common sense would tell us all, and you would think ESPECIALLY programmers, that this is a VERY unwise decision. Microsft software is lame, ok, I realize you all play games on windows (but that's only because companies like valve don't have the BALLS to develop for linux) and that valve needs to PROFIT from their titles (hence no linux HL2). Right... Linux just wouldn't make enough money... Hell I don't know... maybe M$ is handing some under-the-table funds to valve for only using dx9. Who cares... the point is, Use some non-microsoft software for CRITICAL THINGS, that have 1000 worms/exploits released for them a MONTH. I reccomend Mozilla Thunderbird for mail.

SECONDLY... This is valve... Ok, you guys are only on your second game (that I know of)... but you don't have more strict firewall rules for your corporat eenvironment? HELL... My windows XP box doesn't connect to ANYTHING without my say so... internally on my network or on the inernet itself. (Try investing in internet security from symantec) Maybe your expensive hardware firewalls would be complimented by it. It would detect nasty behavior like this in the first place... Malicious script detection is NICE. Come to think of it, go get norton system works and inet security.

And for God's SAKE where is the DAMN LINUX CLIENT.

I'm also a little curious how you are going to explain the LGPL code you "borrowed"... Are you distributing that source with your distribution of Hl2 as is mandated by the LGPL license?

Gabe, it's up to you to bring gaming to Linux. People are tired of windows. Don't you think less piracy would be going on if people payed 50 bucks for your game because they didn't HAVE to spend 200 bucks on their OS? Maybe they'd by hl1 and 2.

You can't make a half-life client for linux? It's been years. COME ON!

Valve and iD should BOTH be leadnign the way here. Take at least an EXAMPLE for Carmack... he at least TRIES a little. Don't be so damn greedy... If you make a 2mb or whatever linux client, you'll make MORE MONEY!

-mawst

"It's not illegal to download information, it's only illegal to distribute it. ****ing homo's."

Guess what? Downloading copyrighted material is I-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS-NATIONAL BIRD

Originally posted by Gabe Newell
Well, this sucks.

What I'd appreciate is the assistance of the community in tracking this down. I have a special email address for people to send information to, [email protected]. If you have information about the denial of service attacks or the infiltration of our network, please send the details. There are some pretty obvious places to start with the posts and records in IRC, so if you can point us in the right direction, that would be great.

Gabe

I wonder if Gabe has ever heard of "Good Karma, Bad Karma" what goes around comes around I say!!!

Wanna know what sucks? Hearing about something you were planning to get getting delayed less then a week before its release date!!!! Espically when they could of plain told us about 1-2 months ago.

Here a big **** you to Gabe.... :devil:

Originally posted by ( . )( . )
Okay Dr.Phil.

SPAT - You're the epitome of LOSER, GEEK, NERD and LOSER. You try to E-Thug and be tough on the internet but you suck at it. You want my address? HAH, You can have my phone number too, so whatcha gonna do about it? Phone me and tell me I'm dead? HA! You're pathetic.

You do realize that he's right, don't you?

By the way, do you have ANY grounds to call someone a geek, nerd, or loser twice over when you're doing exactly what you're accusing him of via a bulletin board on a video game fansite?:dork:

hey spag...

did i ever say it wasnt illegal? NO

my point is that you should stop trying to be some smartass kid who thinks that we dont know whats good or bad..

stop trying to scare us, its not working

that sucks..... just as bad as hearing the game was going to be delayed 6 days before it is expected to be released.

Re: RANTINGS

Originally posted by mawst
*PREPARES TO BE FLAMED*

Ahem.

Maybe the folks at valve should A) Try a NON LAME e-mail reader (outlook express? In a production environment? ARE YOU NUTS!?)

Gabe, it's up to you to bring gaming to Linux. People are tired of windows. Don't you think less piracy would be going on if people payed 50 bucks for your game because they didn't HAVE to spend 200 bucks on their OS? Maybe they'd by hl1 and 2.

You can't make a half-life client for linux? It's been years. COME ON!

Valve and iD should BOTH be leadnign the way here. Take at least an EXAMPLE for Carmack... he at least TRIES a little. Don't be so damn greedy... If you make a 2mb or whatever linux client, you'll make MORE MONEY!

-mawst

... why do linux supporters have to be so ... like that. :x

a desperate man with desperate measures , comes onto these boards askin for you help, and most of u help , and what do we see a bunch of headcrabs being idiots and disrespecting Gabe Newell . shame on you!

btw the teroist i mean hacker could be on these fourms..even posted on this thread :dork:

Fantastic

1) Does the fact that the source has been leaked mean we can see a linux client ever?
2) I wonder if the doom 3 source will be 'leaked' *smug*

Ive always hated the halflife community, mainly due to the general inability to phrase sentences properly and think coherently. "OMG WALLHAXRORET FCUK OFF YOU CHEAAATARRRED!!!11!!1!!!1!!11! WONID HAXK OMG" ... you get the picture.

However the leak may actually be a good thing for valve in the long run, the game source can be scrutinised. The majority of windows thickos will download the source code and go "wtf where is the WISE SPYWARE INSTALLATION PROGRAM v7.0??", and subsequently delete the offending material.

Personally, I think the halflife 2 gameplay videos look great but I am unsure whether ill buy the game. Even if doom 3 is crap, im going to buy it on principle because iD are doing the right thing by supporting multiple operating systems and not sleeping with Bill Gates.

i'm not trying to scare anybody .. i'm making a ****in point here..

it's illegal to download warez.. it's illegal to download that source.
i said post your ****ing name and address if you don't think you wont get in trouble. but you ****in know i'm right.

you damn kiddies come in here, download source code and think nothing is illegal and it's great .. and then you try to convine everybody that it's ok.

my message stands, support Valve, get over the god forsaken delay they announced late... and don't think for a second that it's perfectly fine for you to download the source.

go right ahead, criminal. ****ing idiots

my first post here, been reading up on this for hours (whilst watching some simpsons). If all this is 100% genuine, which i can't quite decide yet, is it not likely that the stealing of the source code is likely to be the cause of the delay. I mean we only heard 6 days before it was supposed to be out, and on the 19th the source code was copied. seems like god timing to me. Hopefully, someone will confirm this, or maybe it was steam, or the languages or whatever else i have read...

Hmmm.

LINUX USERS: "It was fate, Valve."

OTHERS: "Please don't touch us, leper."

I'd like to toss in my two cents and suggest the closure of this thread. Its developed into a profanity filled flame-fest (and since the censor seems to be on, I assume that's not a good reason...

Anyways, I don't have sympathy, but I think the law should do its best to take care of this (I like justice).

This sucks..

Im very sorry about this,

How will all this affect the multiplayer part, and will there be more delays?

SPAG.

WE KNOW ITS ILLEGAL

BUT YOU TELLING US THAT ISNT GOING TO CHANGE ANYTHING

Well guess what. I am new here and I registered to make a comment, After this mods you may ban me or whatever. I cant help notice the amount of users that are saying haha stuff u Gabe you deserve this for delaying the game. Well think of this. How the Fcuk would you be reacting if they had released a half cut complete POS that gave a framerate of 12 FPS on your uber fast Radeon 9800 pros and your AMD Athlon 64's. God would the shit hit the fan then "OMFG Why the hell did you release this POS" Come on for gods sake stop taking the p and get real. Imagine your wife goes to the supermarket with your newborn and the newborn is stolen, Its not quite that severe but someones baby has been stolen here. Someone put 5 years of work into this for some POS to rip it off in about 10 minutes. My rant is over just get a life and realise how much you would be complaining if the game reache 12 FPS on your top end rigs, Just be thankful you have a software developer who cares how the game will play. Think Gearbox and halo now. dont bother flaming me, I dont care. Your forum is a prety cool place but I doubt I will be welcome here again. Just for your info. I didnt like HL but I never got the chance to give it a fair crack from day 1.

Gabe and valve I hope it all goes well for you. I wont e-mail you this but /. contains a lot of links to downloads

Re: Re: I need the assistance of the community

Originally posted by ApocalypseNow
I wonder if Gabe has ever heard of "Good Karma, Bad Karma" what goes around comes around I say!!!

If that's the case, your Karma is gonna kick your butt through your forehead and then strangle you.

RE: Linux wannabe Sandy. Shut up. Valve chose to develop with Direct X - guess what - no HL2 for linux.

Why would they go back and program a new client for HL1? So that the 10 gamers who have linux and no access to a windows computer would buy HL? Yeah, that'd be a GREAT financial decision.

Sorry to point out the painfully obvious.
OUTLOOK IS NOT SAFE.
I dont think there is a single product out there that has had as many serious holes as good ol' outlook.

Good luck plugging it, but to be honest it's probably better directing your attention to your own security. Paranioa is your friend. You are a big fish now, any attempt to catch and punish people for this is going to be like swatting flies.

Good luck and find a better email program.

PUSSY sPaT - STFU already. You sound like a little 10 year old whiney sniveling under privelaged spoiled brat sheltered by your parents. Go get a ****ing hobby, get a job, hey here's a concept, go find a girl to talk to!

Don't worry Gabe, this guy's going down VERY soon.
Note: If anyone catches the guy, just give me four seconds with him.

Good Luck with HL2, I'm sure you won't disappoint!

Wasabi, you're right, it wont change a damn thing.

I felt like saying it because I know how popular this thread is, and is going to be. you know just as well as i do that some people are dense enough to think it's ok.

I can't believe this is making news headlines... god damn.. Valve.. you guys have a lot pushing down on your shoulders. hang in there.

Re: Re: Re: I need the assistance of the community

Originally posted by Ahnteis
RE: Linux wannabe Sandy. Shut up. Valve chose to develop with Direct X - guess what - no HL2 for linux.

One less sale for valve then. I might pick it up for a few quid in a bargin bucket in a few years time and hope it works with wine.

Sure there is enough demand for valve to make a lot of money from hl2, but it just pisses me off being alienated like this.

Stop with the jokes already, This is a developer's worst nightmare (and computing security's too)

I'm sorry this happened to you Gabe, I don't have any of those filesharing proggies loaded on my machine, but if I see any linkage while surfing, I'll send it to the addy listed.

I for one will be buying HL the day it comes out, so this is one sale that the bastiges won't stop. an expensive lesson, but a good one for all of us to remember, security is paramount when so much is at stake.

Originally posted by ( . )( . )
PUSSY sPaT - STFU already. You sound like a little 10 year old whiney sniveling under privelaged spoiled brat sheltered by your parents. Go get a ****ing hobby, get a job, hey here's a concept, go find a girl to talk to!

BANNINATION.

Seriously, stop triggering the degeneration of this thread with your potentially offensive handle.

Source code should only be released when its intentional, its like releasing the plans for the atomic bomb, to oversimplify, or the plans for the electric lightbulb, to simplify, but not overly.

Originally posted by Pol
if i was you i'd not post your finding here, but e-mail them to valve software instead :)

If I hear anything vaguely helpful to them I will. But I don’t want to clog their e-mail, but would like to express my feelings that most of the community is with them on this and would dearly like to see the person responsible punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back