I need the assistance of the community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Check kazaa and edonkey

Originally posted by Invitesunde
tis it appears to start making its way in some compacity onto the p2p networks.

you think THATS bad, check Newsgroups some time.

sigh this is an all elaborated plot and lie to blame someone else for valves stupidity and incompetence and inedequacy for bringing the game on time

The mods are valve dogs intending on using censorship to keep the farse going, yes they deleted your post

Originally posted by Shuzer
Conspiracy theories aside, Gabe is a calm, rational person. I'm sure once he heard news of this happening, he lost his cool, but he's had time to calm down. He didn't address the community immediately, he waited until he calmed down a little bit, I'm sure.

What would you have rather seen, him going off such as "OMG SOEM NEWBEI BROEK INTO TEH NETWERK & STOEL EVERYTHING OMGZ!@~!~!~~~!@!@!~@~!@~!@!!!!!!!!!!!1111oneoneone"? lol

he should'nt have expressed any kind of displeasure or emotion, thats keeping calm and being as professional as possible on such a subject as this, and im sure gabe knows how to do that

Well, I was just looking at some of this code, uh on a friends computer of course, and I noticed that they do a damn good job. Very readable and well documented... probably not what I'd want if it was getting downloaded rampantly on the internet, but good job Valve!

The source code is well documented and readable you say? And yes, it appears that the HL2 stuff is appearing on P2P networks. It's spreading across the globe slowly.

Originally posted by pblse
GRIMEY, yeah, lets go bomb MS, before we even know what the hell happend.
I'm not blaming anyone.

InfoSecWillie, you shoudl read your own links, just because there is a new worm using the OLD hole doesn't mean it's a NEW security hole.

On the page it says "Originally posted: March 29, 2001"

But sure, this is all MS fault, they make crappy software, blaham blaha, lets all stop using it....sigh

Anyone with a shred of sense knows there are security holes in all products on all systems, heck I just downloaded 36M pacthes when I insatlled SuSE Linux.

Haven't seen a piece of software yet that didn't need patching at one poitn or another.

But, everyone seem to be up for some MS bashing so, lets go...yeah, that deam MS, crappy, **** shit..., sue them, of course it's not Valves fault for haiving crappy security on their network, neither is it the fault of the person that did it, it's all MS fault, yeah, sigh.

Originally posted by bate18
he should'nt have expressed any kind of displeasure or emotion, thats keeping calm and being as professional as possible on such a subject as this, and im sure gabe knows how to do that

I agree 100%. But, I'm sure there was panic/displeasure among colleagues working at VALVe once they heard of the leak.

Mistake #1:
Bad Security. Why would you have your network ports open? This is just bad management.

Mistake #2:
When you realised what had happened, why didn't you bring the FBI and try and catch them in the act. Get the IPs of the connections and trace them back to users. Making this knowledge before you get any information is just plain stupid. Now that the hackers know you are on to them and will just disappear.

Mistake #3:
Asking the public to assist you is one of the best ways to get a lot of fanbois yelling and screaming at eachother and at you. Not to mention now it is common knowledge and every little wanna-be hacker / modder / nerd is going to try and find your code and look at it. I predict that the bandwidth used for downloading the source code will exceed downloads for the released game on steam. Good work on the publicity.

Solution:
Sack your IT Manager - Incompentence resulting in tremendous finacial loss.
Tell the community to stop with the efforts to "help" in this investigation.
Get the FBI on the job.

chewy, im sure what you think you did was nothing, heh. But even in countries such as china, it is a crime. I'm also sure you all think this is all fun and games.

I wonder how funny it would be if your were prosecuted by the chinese government, heh.

Seriousl, children have nothing better to do these days. Than to try to feel as if they are cool, by talking alot of bs.

For instance like chewy stating he compiled somthing he doesn't even have. To try and look knowledgeable and such. Somthing that mutiple /.'s said could not be compiled.

I really feel sorry for valve. They delay their game in order to not release an unfinished product and they get lots of shit from the hl2 community. A few more months of development time means that hl2 will be better than if it was released on sep 30th

As for the person who leaked/copied/dl'ed the Source code, shame on you. Releasing the code means that the hackers can make hacks for multiplayer even before the game comes out! The person who leaked the source code should be flogged by the hl2 devs.

That is all. :flame:

if u cant wait an extra 30 days or 2 months for hl2, get a life. Its a game. In that 30 days or 2 months u can do multiple things other than sit in front of a moniter and leak Valve's top secred Source code to the public.

If the problem is in fact MS related its not MS's fault, but Valves, as they chose to use their products.

I wonder how many people who bitch about Microsoft are using Windows as they bitch? Microsoft catches the crap because it's got the most popular OSes. If Linux was the most popular OS then we'd see a shitload of security exploits released for it instead.

The only person who's really at fault is the one who broke into the network in the first place.

Don't refer to megatokyo that site stopped being funny years ago, now it just boarders on paedophilia.

Originally posted by Teelie
This blows. I avoided getting into the original game because of all the hacking and shit that was going on and now HL2 might end up being hacked and cheat infested before it even gets an official release.

Its just a ploy because they were saying oh ppl won't be able to hack cause were on it, then they found out all they were on was each others poles. Its prolly easier to hax on than the first.

5 months form now they be saying "well our source code was leaked and...blah blah, but you can buy this new version for 75 bucks! good deal!!?

teelie as well as the ones propagating and justifying and commenting on how they got it and good work to the hackers and this such stuff. Those who contribute to and obtain illegal valve (source)IP should be fully prosecuted.

Okay, I made it to page 18 of this thread and then got impatient, so forgive me if I'm posting something that's already been said...

There is another factor you have to take into account. Even if Valve still has time to go back and rewrite some of the code to make it less hackable before the holiday season, they still have a lot of work to do. Making a game on paper (or in digital form) is one thing, but they have to make thousands of physical copies of the game. Game manuals have to be printed, game boxes/cases have to be manufactured, printed, and sealed, etc. This can take months, and this factor is always planned for in advance when making a game; in most cases, the game manuals and boxes start printing the moment the game goes beta. If, for instance, Valve has to rewrite the CD key code for Half-Life 2, not only would they have to come up with an algorithm that's secure (obviously no small feat in itself), they would have to reprint all material containing the CD keys (on the CD case, or in the manuals, or whatever.) If they've already started producing the CDs and sealing the boxes, they have 3 options:

1) Throw out all of the copies that have already been produced, and lose tremendous amounts of money.
2) Try to salvage the boxes and extra stuff that's already been printed while somehow replacing the CDs and resealing the cases, again losing tremendous amounts of money.
3) Sell the stock they've already produced, which would allow people to easily make key hacks / CD hacks, potentially losing tremendous amounts of money.

Another option might be to make it so that users couldn't connect to the main HL2 internet server unless they downloaded a patch, but I don't know enough about network code to know if that's even feasible.

This would only be a factor if they've already started packaging the game. I'll admit, I haven't followed HL2's progress enough to know whether or not they've started that, but considering how long it usually takes, it wouldn't be far-fetched to assume that they've already started making physical units of the game, which would make it too late to do anything about it now.

It may not be the end of the world for Valve; their property was blatantly stolen, but (like many people have mentioned before) no serious mod developer would use incomplete stolen code to make a mod, and no commercial game developer would use it instead of actually buying the license. (On the other hand, it would be easy to take the physics code and incorporate it into your own game, even if you rewrite it from scratch.)

Will Half Life 2 be delayed again? Possibly. But fixing it so that the leaked code wouldn't work with the final version could take months, and then they'd miss the holiday shopping window, which is a very bad move for video game companies. They could wait until Christmas 2004, but then the technology in Half Life 2 would get outdated.

Will Half Life 2 be canceled? That one's a definite "No." Nobody is going to spend 5 years developing a potential blockbuster game and then stop everything at the last minute and lose millions of dollars. It's coming out. Maybe it won't come out when they said it would come out (as if that was a new concept) but we will see Half Life 2.

Oh, and all the drooling Linux fanboys and Valve-bashers posting to this thread can go to hell. Nobody asked for your damn opinion on MS Outlook.

Originally posted by killahsin-[CE]
chewy, im sure what you think you did was nothing, heh. But even in countries such as china, it is a crime. I'm also sure you all think this is all fun and games.

I wonder how funny it would be if your were prosecuted by the chinese government, heh.

Seriousl, children have nothing better to do these days. Than to try to feel as if they are cool, by talking alot of bs.

For instance like chewy stating he compiled somthing he doesn't even have. To try and look knowledgeable and such. Somthing that mutiple /.'s said could not be compiled.

how about ram it up your ass! :)
one they have to prove i have it
two admitance on a message board is "...inadmisable..." as evidence :)

Originally posted by MooCow
Don't refer to megatokyo that site stopped being funny years ago, now it just boarders on paedophilia.

tha hell you say?

1) Throw out all of the copies that have already been produced, and lose tremendous amounts of money. - no copies are made untill they declare the game gold, if copies were been produced the game would be already leaked on warez

chewy no hearsay ona forum is inadmissable, public admission with your personal ip logged is not heresay therefor it is useable. This is exactly why valve is asking the community to help them.

Chewy don't even talk about early retirenment, you already lied about havign and compiling the PARTIAL source code.

If anyone here represents the child it is you.

Hey, I'm a teenager. Why does everyone hang everything up on teens. We can be mature too. Like... uh, I can use big words sometimes. Sometimes they have nearly two syllables.

Yea, that really sucks hard for you guys. If I see the people responsible, I'll make a note of stabbing them thoroughly. But on the off hanf u look funny on the Planet-Halflife videos for HL2 being delayed.

teelie as well as the ones propagating and justifying and commenting on how they got it and good work to the hackers and this such stuff. Those who contribute to and obtain illegal valve (source)IP should be fully prosecuted.

That is true although none of this would have happened had the original person(s) not stolen the code in the first place. If you buy or recieve stolen property you're no better than the original thief but I'd still go after the source the hardest.

Okay, my mistake, disregard my previous post. (Except the part about Half Life 2 being canceled. I'm confident that it will come out.) I won't claim to be an expert in the video game industry, so maybe I was overestimating the impact.

chewy no hearsay ona forum is inadmissable, public admission with your personal ip logged is not heresay therefor it is useable. This is exactly why valve is asking the community to help them.

Chewy don't even talk about early retirenment, you already lied about havign and compiling the PARTIAL source code.

If anyone here represents the child it is you.

it is inadmisalbe, check Steadmans: Torts 4th Ed.
and If i lied, then what do i have to worry about? so long as i tell the police the truth, i'm good AND YOUR A FUXORIN IDIOT! :)

Originally posted by Teelie
That is true although none of this would have happened had the original person(s) not stolen the code in the first place. If you buy or recieve stolen property you're no better than the original thief but I'd still go after the source the hardest.

agreed

Originally posted by chewysplace
it is inadmisalbe, check Steadmans: Torts 4th Ed.
and If i lied, then what do i have to worry about? so long as i tell the police the truth, i'm good AND YOUR A FUXORIN IDIOT! :)

There is no IF, you did lie. It's simple , go ahead and admit that you lied. Thats why i called you on it. As for checking Steadmans: Torts 4th Edition, i have it right here. Please tell me where public admission is not acceptable in a court of law and i will open to the chapter, quote it here, and admit you are correct.

Originally posted by The more on
I dont know if this was posted before, but in this tread http://steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=22528 is a guy who claims that fileplanet had the source code avaible to download, but removed it after some time. Some people said they saw it too, so it may not be fake. Now that would be more searious.

Wouldn't put it past them. They had the Alien vs Predator 2 source up last year when it wasn't meant to be released. They did a quick turn around on that but not before it was snagged a few 100 times.

vE200, it's been posted like at least 3-5 times already dude. sheesh! ;) hehe

Originally posted by The more on
I dont know if this was posted before, but in this tread http://steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=22528 is a guy who claims that fileplanet had the source code avaible to download, but removed it after some time. Some people said they saw it too, so it may not be fake. Now that would be more searious.

its fake, just type in the addy and find out.

Originally posted by Frosty
Hey, I'm a teenager. Why does everyone hang everything up on teens. We can be mature too. Like... uh, I can use big words sometimes. Sometimes they have nearly two syllables.

Apparently this guy isn't one of the teens that can produce multi-syllable words. Why are you even here, if you don't like valve? Such worthless youth sometimes.

---

There have been a lot of disbelievers today. A lot of people saying there's no proof that this is really Gabe Newell, no proof that it's really HL2's source code (missing Steam elements, has Quake headers, etc), people saying it's bunk and is being used for publicity, and so on and so forth.

I admit I was swayed into this for a moment. However I came to realize that there is no feat on this earth that could produce such an emotional outrage from the community that so diligently supports this company as the one we've seen today.

To the naysayers, I say find new hobbies and open your eyes. This is serious, and is a tragedy to the men and women who have busted their balls for the last 6 years making one of the most anticipated titles thus far in gaming. Valve is owed some compassion and soem sympathy for their hard work, time, and dedication being squandered by an over-anxious scripter b*tch that found a loophole in a Microsoft application.

There is no IF, you did lie. It's simple , go ahead and admit that you lied. Thats why i called you on it. As for checking Steadmans: Torts 4th Edition, i have it right here. Please tell me where public admission is not acceptable in a court of law and i will open to the chapter, quote it here, and admit you are correct.

ok now your pullin sh!t right out of your ass. i lied, there is no Steadmans: Torts. Torts has nothing to do with description of law you pompus american ass. now i know you 12yrs old. LOL

That was a joke, gorilla. Let me ellaborate: I was jesting at how the majority of teenage individuals in the society I live in prefer to use words with a minimum number of syllables within their conversations. Enough syllables there for you? Mr. No-sense-of-humor-cannot-find-the-jest-in-forum-posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back