25 Bottles of Nyquil and Stock-Boy Goons.

Dog--

The Freeman
Reaction score
Quite the riveting tale I stumbled across, my good chaps.

http://www.violentacres.com/archives/193/what-would-happen-if-you-bought-25-bottles-of-nyquil/

Ever since I was a little girl, I have periodically played a game I like to call ‘What would happen if…’

The very first time I played this game I was 5 years old and riding in the car with my Mother. She had allowed me to sit in the front seat, but the novelty of that wore off rather quickly and I got bored. Almost immediately after we merged onto the expressway, I spied the car door handle. I thought to myself, I wonder what would happen if I opened the car door right now?

Would the door fly open? Or would it stay closed since the car was in motion? If it flew open, would the wind rip the door completely off of the car? My seatbelt was secure, so I was pretty sure I wouldn’t fly out of the car, but would anything else fly out? What would my Mother do?

I looked over at my Mother who was paying careful attention to the road and vaguely singing along with the radio. Then I looked over at the gleaming car handle. I knew that opening the door while we were driving was a very stupid and potentially dangerous thing to do, but it was almost as if the handle was calling my name. It wanted me to open it. I tried to resist, but my curiosity overwhelmed me. Slowly, I reached over…and opened the door.

Turns out the only thing that happens when you open the car door on the expressway is your Mother screams, “OH MY GOD! HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?” pulls over, closes your door, and then goes homes and bitches to your Father about her vehicle being unsafe and demands he buy her a new one.

It wasn’t the most exciting outcome in the world, but at least I knew.

This past Friday evening, I found myself inadvertently playing another game of ‘What would happen if…’

My husband has been dealing with a particularly nasty summer cold and it’s making it difficult for him to fall asleep. Shortly after midnight one evening, he asked me to run to the store and pick him up some medicine. I agreed because I’m nice like that.

After selecting a bottle of Nyquil and my Husband’s favorite brand of ice cream, it was time to check-out. I elected to go through the self check-out lane because the group of kids who normally jockeyed the registers looked thoroughly engrossed in a conversation about their parents sucking or their jobs sucking or who de-friended them on myspace recently or whatever and I didn’t want to interrupt them. Besides, I have two fully functioning arms. I am capable of scanning and bagging my own ice cream.

However, after I scanned my items, the computer started beeping.

“You have selected an age restricted item. Please wait for a cashier,” it said.

“What the Hell?” I mused, “Ice cream and Nyquil is age restricted now?”

A teenager with a lip piercing and bad dye job came rushing over. “Can I see your ID?” she chirped.

“What did I order that needs ID?” I asked.

She looked over my purchases and shrugged. “I guess it’s the Nyquil.”

I sighed deeply and handed her my driver’s license. She glanced at it quickly, typed my birthday into the computer, handed it back, and scurried away. Even though I didn’t show it, I was all kinds of annoyed.

I mean, what kind of nanny state am I living in right now? I can’t even buy cold medicine anymore without the government all up in my shit? Why is my right to privacy being invaded in favor of incompetent police officers who lack the ability to catch drug dealers without spying on the average law abiding citizen?

Then, out of nowhere, I thought, I wonder what would happen if I tried to buy all the Nyquil on the shelf?

Would they laugh? Would they get angry? Would they sell it to me? Would they call the cops? Would they interrogate me until I told them what it was for?

No matter how many years pass, I remain easily seduced by my curiosity. The harder I try to shake the wondering thoughts from my head, the more they burrow into my brain and demand recognition. By the time I got home from the grocery store, I simply had to know what would happen if I tried to buy an entire shelf full of Nyquil.

The next morning, I woke up bright and early with the intent of carrying out my plan. Now I’m not really sure how the typical Meth Head dresses, so I took a guess. I clad myself in an old T-shirt and a ripped pair of pants that were covered in paint. I pulled my hair back in a ratty ponytail and slipped on a pair of dirty sandals. My goal was to look as shady as possible without overdoing it.

Upon entering the store, I grabbed one of those hand-held shopping baskets and walked with single minded purpose over to the drug isle. I then proceeded to fill my basket with every bottle of Nyquil sitting on the shelf. There weren’t that many and I really wanted to be obvious, so I decided to buy all the generic versions as well. Then I marched my ass right over to the cashier and emptied my basket onto the conveyor belt. At first she wasn’t really paying attention as she grabbed bottle after bottle and flipped them through the scanner. Then a little light must have gone off in her head because she suddenly paused.

“Are these on sale or something?” she asked.

“Nope.” I replied noncommittally.

“I’m going to need to see your ID,” she responded.

“Sure.” I said as I handed it over.

“I’ll be right back,” she told me as she scampered over to the customer service desk to show my ID to who I assumed was the manager.

The guy in line behind me asked, “Someone sick?”

“I’m having a yard sale,” I replied. Yeah, my answer didn’t make much sense. But it was none of his business, so **** him.

After about 10 minutes, the cashier came back and gave me my ID. Then she finished ringing me up and handed over two bags of Nyquil. “Um, have a nice day,” she said.

I thanked her politely and headed out to my car thinking to myself that the whole scenario ended up being fairly anticlimactic. This time, bending to the will of my curiosity earned me nothing more than 10 minutes of inconvenience and 25 bottles of unneeded Nyquil. ****ing fantastic.

I went home, unloaded my spoils onto my kitchen table and decided to take a nap on my couch. Right before I fell asleep, I thought to myself, I really need to stop playing that game.

A couple of hours later, my brother and his girlfriend woke me up.

“What the hell is with all the Nyquil?” he asked.

I told him about my game and how nothing really exciting happened. Then, he said, “Probably because you bought the wrong shit.”

I said, “Huh?”

With a smirk on his face, my brother explained, “The ingredient in Nyquil that is used to make crystal meth is called pseudoephedrine. But these don’t have it in them. Look! It even says right here on the front, ‘Now Made without pseudoephedrine.’

“Then why did they card me for them?”

“How the hell am I supposed to know? All I know is that you can’t make meth out of these.”

“Son of a bitch!” I exclaimed.

“You are the worst fake drug dealer ever,” my brother admonished.

His girlfriend cut in, “You know what you should get? Sudafed. They sell it behind the counter at the pharmacy and they probably won’t give you more than one or two. But it might be funny if you asked to exchange your Nyquil for 25 boxes of Sudafed.”

For me, failure tends to make me more determined, so I decided that was exactly what I was going to do. But, this time, I wanted to start my adventure with a bit more planning. I decided to call the grocery store and ask if it was even possible to return Nyquil since it was technically a medicine. The manager I spoke to assured me that as long as I had the receipt and the seal wasn’t broken, they would take it back.

So the next day, I packed up my bags of Nyquil and headed back to the grocery store. I plopped the bags on the counter of the customer service desk and amicably said, “I’d like to return these, please.”

The cashier looked shocked. “All of these?”

“Yes please,” I answered mildly, “Here is the receipt.”

“How many bottles are in here?”

“25.”

“25? You bought 25 bottles of Nyquil? Why would you do that?” she asked.

“I wasn’t feeling well.” I answered.

“So why are you returning them now?” She countered.

I slightly hardened my voice. “I’m feeling better.”

“Normal people don’t buy 25 bottles of Nyquil!” she exclaimed.

“So?” I snapped.

She started stammering. “Well….its just that I don’t….I don’t know…if we can take this many back. We’d have to throw them away and….I….uh….”

“I called and spoke to a manager yesterday,” I informed her, “And he told me that as long as the seal wasn’t broken and I had the receipt, you would take them back.”

“Well I’m sure he didn’t know how many you bought!”

“Does it matter?” I questioned, “Is there some sort of store policy that states you can only return so many things at a time?”

“I’m going to get my manger,” she replied.

“Fine.”

The manger came over, obviously perturbed, and we argued back and forth for a few minutes. Finally she said, “I’ll take them back this time. But next time, I won’t.”

“That’s fine by me,” I agreed.

I filled out a form with my name, address, and phone number, got my cash back and walked directly over to the pharmacy.

An older lady walked over to wait on me. “Can I please buy some Sudafed?” I requested.

“Sure!” she said as she held out her hand, “I’m going to need some proof that you’re over 18, though.”

“That’s fine,” I told her, “But I’m going to need more than one.”

“How many do you need?”

“25.”

“25 tablets?”

“No, 25 boxes.”

I’m not sure if my answer extremely shocked her or extremely angered her, but her response was to shriek, “NO!”

Calmly, I asked, “Why not?”

“NO!” she bellowed again.

“But why not?” I repeated.

“BECAUSE OF THE METH!” she hollered.

I smiled a little and said, “I promise I won’t use it to make meth.”

Again: “NO!”

A concerned Pharmacist walked around the counter. “What seems to be the problem here?” he questioned.

“I’m just trying to by some Sudafed.” I answered.

The cashier squawked again, “NO! YOU CAN’T HAVE ANY!”

And I was supposed to be the crazy one!

The Pharmacist gave her a confused look and she said to him, “She wants 25 boxes!”

“Whoa, wait a minute, ma’am!” he said to me.

Just then, out of the corner of my eye, I realized that the manager who did my return and a couple of stock boys were walking up behind me. They were closing in on me!

I thought to myself what better time to walk away, all shifty, like I was a real drug dealer than now. So I abruptly did an about-face and briskly started striding towards the door.

The Pharmacist tried to stop me. “Ma’am!” he called after me, “Ma’am! I’m going to need you to come back here! Ma’am!”

Seriously, I couldn’t believe he actually thought I would fall for that. I mean, what am I? 12 years old? Did he actually think I would be naïve enough to believe that a goddamn Pharmacist had the legal right to forcibly detain me in a grocery store?

But the ridiculousness of the situation was only a fleeting thought in my mind. At that precise moment, I had more pressing matters to concern myself with. Namely, how I was going to shake the manager and the stock boy goons who were in the process of following me out of the store.

I increased my walking speed a little and made it outside. I paused for a second, thinking the chase was over, but I was wrong. The manager had tailed me into the parking lot. Frantically, she started waving the cart boys over to her and pointing in my direction. Before I knew it, I had a small army of grocery store employees following me around the parking lot. It was ****ing surreal. I felt like I was starring in the deleted scenes of one of those Terminator movies.

My theory was that they were waiting until I got into my car so they could write down my license plate number. To me, this was odd, considering the fact that they had my name, address, and phone number written on a slip of paper behind the customer service desk.

Anyway, I finally thwarted them for good by electing to simply walk home. Because I live a couple of miles from the grocery store, I decided to call my brother.

“Hey, if the cops show up at my door, do not let them in without a warrant,” I told him, “That’s a violation of my 4th amendment rights!”

“No problem.” He said. He’s learned to quit asking questions.

The end result of my little escapade, however, produced no angry police officers ruthlessly pounding on my door. In fact, outside of a couple of grocery store employees who briefly pretended to be Rambo, nothing really exciting happened at all.

All in all, I ended up fairly disappointed with my most recent game of ‘What would happen if….’ You see, that’s the problem with letting yourself become randomly consumed by curiosity. Things rarely live up to your expectations.

Proof (the picture is in the link, but most of you won't click it anyways)

nyquil.jpg

it was an ok read...but i didn't laugh. my friend was like this and like the kid opening the door while moving he actually jumped out going about 15mph when he was 4 or 5 years old into a ditch.

Oh man, that was hilarious.

I like the neurotic writing stile of this individual.

"“I’m having a yard sale,” I replied. Yeah, my answer didn’t make much sense. But it was none of his business, so **** him."

Best line.

Oh, so wise. I'm falling in love! This isn't funny but it's true.

Two Phrases That Destroyed American Culture

http://www.violentacres.com/archives/59/two-phrases-that-destroyed-american-culture/

Every time I promise myself that I will work on controlling my temper, I always end up making a scene.

This time, it wasn’t my fault. All I wanted was a bagel. A bagel, a cup of coffee, and perhaps a spot near a window where I could idly watch the traffic go by as I browsed through the newspaper and licked cream cheese from my fingers. But apparently the Gods were not on my side.

Today I got in line behind a middle aged woman in a fur coat who was barking orders at the poor bagel girl like she was a dumb misbehaving dog. Fur Coat was ordering multiple bagel sandwiches from a list, but instead of ordering them in such a way that would make sense, she was attempting to order them all at the same time. The Bagel Girl was obviously confused and you could tell by her shaking hands that Fur Coat’s harsh tone was intimidating her. Finally, Fur Coat snapped, “I said light butter on that bagel! Light butter! Jesus!”

I couldn’t stand it anymore. I cut in, “You don’t have to be such a bitch about it.”

Fur Coat glared daggers at me and stated, “I’m not.”

“Well, I beg to differ.”

With a disgusted ‘Hrmph,’ Fur Coat went back to her overly complicated order, but she did so quietly and even managed to begrudge the poor girl a ‘Thank you’ after she was finished.

I have a theory about asshole customers: I think they only act that way because no one ever calls them on their bullshit. The poor kids behind the counter can’t stand up for themselves lest they lose their jobs and other patrons look the other way claiming ‘it’s none of my business.’

**** that. When I see some self important asshole verbally degrading a teenaged kid with dead eyes behind a counter, it ruins my day. So, I say some shit. Besides, I feel that if I stay silent, I am almost giving an abuser permission to act like a raging asshole. Ignoring their behavior suggests to them on some sick level that what they’re doing is Ok.

It’s not OK.

The phrase ‘The Customer is Always Right’ is the single worst philosophy that has ever been adopted by American culture. It gave an entire generation of people the green light to be as impolite, unreasonable, and demanding as their little hearts desired because they were always going to be considered right. It destroyed the entire concept of courtesy and rendered manners obsolete. People began to treat their peers in the service industry like incompetent morons, lacking in feelings or human dignity, who deserved to be browbeaten and abused for no other reason than they had the audacity to run out of a particular brand of coffee. Furthermore, instead of suffering negative repercussions for their appallingly disrespectful behavior, they are awarded with free coupons and plenty of ass kissing. In reality, they should be shunned and humiliated for behaving like such self absorbed little children.

Speaking of respect, another idea that has ruined American culture is the one that states, ‘I don’t give respect freely. You have to earn my respect.’ This one is most often uttered by punk kids with bad attitudes and black fingernail polish.

****ing gag me.

I mean, how egotistical does one have to be to automatically assume that their respect is so ****ing important that one must jump through multiples hoops in order to earn it? How about we give people respect because they are humans with lives and feelings just as important as our own? Why not give people a default level of respect and more or less can either be won or lost based on the behavior of the individual? The loss of respect is something that should be based on actions. The idea that that one must win basic respect in the first place is incredibly belittling. How narcissistic can you be to embrace that ideology?

A few Sundays ago, my husband and I went out to breakfast. If anyone has ever attempted to go out to breakfast on a Sunday morning, they know that restaurants are usually packed around then. We were finally seated and our server was not only very busy, but also a new employee according to her ‘Hi! I’m new!’ nametag.

I’d like to say that everyone in her section was very understanding. The place was a madhouse and she was obviously out of her element. I wish I could say that the patrons in that restaurant were mannerly and polite and treated her with even an ounce of dignity and consideration. But, if I did, I’d be ****ing lying.

Nearly everyone yelled at her or condescended to her like she was a stupid little child. One guy ordered a side of ‘home fries’ and reamed her ass when she brought him French fries. Had he looked at the menu a little closer, he would have seen that ‘home fries’ weren’t listed. This particular restaurant only served French fries or hash browns. Her mistake was understandable and he was basically yelling at her because she didn’t read his mind accurately enough.

But let’s all forget about that for just a moment. Instead, I want to point out that there are a multitude of things that can go wrong in one’s life. Death, illness, and poverty just to name a few. Yet, here I was watching a grown man lose his ****ing shit because he was going to have to wait 5 minutes for a side of hash browns. Suddenly, I lost my appetite.

At this point, the angry little man demanded to speak to a manager and a kowtowing corporate whore scuttled over with free coupons and many apologies. The angry man furiously demanded that his waitress be fired right that instant. Over hash browns.

I couldn’t take it anymore. I leaned over and interrupted, “When you’re finished talking to this man, I’d like to speak to you. I have the same server.”

The angry man smiled smugly, no doubt convinced that I was going to back him up on his quest to get a new girl fired because he had to wait 5 ****ing minutes.

The manager finished with him and moped over to my table ready for his second tongue lashing of the day. I surprised him by loudly saying, “I just want you to know that our server is doing the best that she can. She’s been trying very hard and has been very sweet to us even though that asshole has treated her so poorly.”

The manager suddenly looked panicked and started shooting terrified looks at the table that just finished reaming him out. “I know,” he whispered fearfully, “Don’t worry, I’m not going to fire her.”

And while I was pleased to learn that this particular manager wasn’t going to fire the new girl based on the whim of some fat ass piece of trailer trash, I was disappointed that he rewarded said trash’s temper tantrum with free food. I long for the day a manager walks up to a table and says, “How dare you treat my employee this way. Get out now.”

I’m sure they want to, but that ridiculous policy ‘The Customer is Always Right’ silences them. So until we banish that phrase from American culture forever, I suggest we quit looking the other way when people behave like scumbags.

After all, technicalities may suggest that they are always right, but that doesn’t make them any less an asshole.

I have the same reaction, someone is an asshole I tell them to shut their trap and quit being one.

Awesome. I've wondered that too.

I'd love to be able to tell off rude assholes like that. Unfortunately, most of the people I see doing it look like they could tear me a new one.

Man I just read like 30 entries from this chick's blog.

Same here.

As to them ripping anyone a new one, assholes are usually too shocked they've been told off by someone about being an asshole to do jack shit about it. If it comes down to it pull a knife and they'll back off real quick, most people don't like to play those stakes over such a pointless confrontation.

As to them ripping anyone a new one, assholes are usually too shocked they've been told off by someone about being an asshole to do jack shit about it. If it comes down to it pull a knife and they'll back off real quick, most people don't like to play those stakes over such a pointless confrontation.
Right.

yeah... I wish managers would stick up for their employees. A few years ago I was working at an icecream stand attached to a restaurant - a woman comes up and orders three small cones. I get two of the done and am working on the third, which takes a little longer because the icecream is REALLY damn frozen. In the middle of trying to scoop it I explain quickly why it's taking so long. I finish and she starts complaining that it's too small. I explain that a small is only one scoop... she says again it's small. I offer a free extra scoop to keep her happy. She huffs "no" at me and walks away.... AROUND TO THE FRONT... and complains that I charged her extra and told her that I was running out of icecream and that's why her third cone was "too small".

:|

so, my six foot tall boss comes in and yells at me like the big ol' man he is, slamming open and shut the freezers and yelling "WHAT DID YOU GET HER? WHAT DID SHE WANT? WHY DID YOU CHARGE HER MORE? COME ON, TELL ME!" till I'm on the verge of tears and absolutely unable to say anything. He then yells at me to get out of his restaurant.

so yeah - customers are stuck up spoiled little assholes.

Same here.

Because pulling out a knife in the middle of a spat is... not... an asshole thing to do...?

???

yeah... I wish managers would stick up for their employees. A few years ago I was working at an icecream stand attached to a restaurant - a woman comes up and orders three small cones. I get two of the done and am working on the third, which takes a little longer because the icecream is REALLY damn frozen. In the middle of trying to scoop it I explain quickly why it's taking so long. I finish and she starts complaining that it's too small. I explain that a small is only one scoop... she says again it's small. I offer a free extra scoop to keep her happy. She huffs "no" at me and walks away.... AROUND TO THE FRONT... and complains that I charged her extra and told her that I was running out of icecream and that's why her third cone was "too small".

so, my six foot tall boss comes in and yells at me like the big ol' man he is, slamming open and shut the freezers and yelling "WHAT DID YOU GET HER? WHAT DID SHE WANT? WHY DID YOU CHARGE HER MORE? COME ON, TELL ME!" till I'm on the verge of tears and absolutely unable to say anything. He then yells at me to get out of his restaurant.

**** sakes that's rough. To be honest if he was yelling like that I would've just told him off.. Hell, when people yell at my coworkers I tell my own boss off (almost got fired many times :/ ) But people these days have such inferiority complexes that if they get a little bit of power it's abused like 95% of the time. If I saw that as a customer I would've intervened for sure. Let me guess - people around you were just sitting there staring at the whole event, right? Idiots..

I find that not engaging with the assholes and rewarding the nice people works wonders. People ask me how much stuff is, I tell them, and if they do the "oh my god, that's so expensive, wah wah, give me a discount or something" it's pretty easy to just give them a blank stare. Then they realise they sound pretty bitchy and either leave or pay up.

And it's always nice to reward someone who is genuinely nice and friendly - you pick them out the biggest croissant, chuck in an eclair if they've made a really big purchase, or just give them a genuine smile.

Because those people will be back, and those are the people you want to sell to.

Poor Bethy, you should've flipped him the bird and told him to go **** himself. Then do the same to the bitch customer as you leave.

It's so ridiculously ordinary and plain for such a long piece of blog work.

Yet I liked it.

Same here.

All it takes is one, for you to end up dead.

I hope you slashed his tires.

Because pulling out a knife in the middle of a spat is... not... an asshole thing to do...?

???

Technically, but some of these pricks are just asking for it.

Story was well worth the read by the way, you guys sure do turn up some good stuff :D

Seconded, this lady is freakin' awesome.

Check this:

**** You Money
November 20th, 2006.

I was going write a story disclosing how I spent my ‘**** You Money’ this month, but I realized most of you probably don’t know what ‘**** You Money’ is. So I figured I’d use this entry to give you a little background information on the term.

This all started when I went homeless for the first time to pay my credit card debt. At the time, I was young and naturally impulsive. Add to that the fact that I had put myself in a physically uncomfortable and mentally exhausting position and you can understand why I started to develop a touch of The Crazy. I did things like throw handfuls of change at a co-worker because I didn’t like how his smarmy ass kept giving me all quarters when it was my turn to fetch lunch for everyone. I was completely irrational and frightfully short tempered. You wouldn’t have wanted to be my friend.

Anyway, during all of this, I was on the phone almost non-stop trying to work out deals with various credit card companies. Like I said before, failing to pay my bills for four months caused a lot of the balances on my cards to nearly double. I called up each card and gave them some bullshit sob story and they responded by offering me settlements or giving me a break on the interest and various late fees. In other words, they still planned to rip me off, just not as much as they had planned initially . Out of 11 cards, 10 of them gave me a small break….leaving one asshole.

The credit card company (who shall remain nameless) wouldn’t reduce my balance even one dollar. To pour salt on the wound, they were the ones who were trying to rape me the hardest and with no lube. The original limit on the card was $900. To pay it off, they wanted me to give them $4068. I tried to talk them down to $2000, which I thought was perfectly reasonable considering they’d still get to screw me out of a grand, but no dice. The creepy monotone voiced guy on the phone kept insisting that there was nothing he could do. I tried to play hardball and told him that if he didn’t help me with the balance, I wouldn’t pay the bill at all. He responded by informing me that my credit would be ruined. I laughed and asked him if he’d seen my credit lately; it was already ruined! He apathetically repeated that there was nothing he could do.

I was enraged. I was livid. I was so out of my mind with fury that my touch of The Crazy briefly became full fledged insanity. I vowed I’d never give that credit card company a dime, ever. To prove a point, I borrowed my friend’s video camera and made a little sign that said ‘**** YOU _______ CARD!” Then I taped myself burning $900 cash in front of the sign and sent the video to the credit card company in lieu of payment.

They responded by suing me.

In the end, I didn’t hire a lawyer and they ended up winning $2200…which was pretty much what I offered to pay them in the first place. Taking into consideration the money I burnt, the whole ordeal ended up costing me $3100. Since they initially wanted $4068, I technically saved $968. The moral of the story is that sometimes being crazy pays off.

Hence the term ‘**** You Money.’ Ever since that day, I’ve always put money aside that I can afford to basically throw away when I’m in the mood to tell someone to go to hell. Forget big screen televisions and sheets with ridiculously high thread counts. There is no greater luxury in the world than having ‘**** You Money.’

All it takes is one, for you to end up dead.

And? Statistically speaking the "just one" is never going to happen.

Unless it does.

In which case I don't know what I'll do.

Back