6-year-old Takes Video Game Skills to the Streets; Wrecks Car, Misses PE

nofreeman

Spy
Reaction score
Believing video games Grand Theft Auto and Monster Truck Jam had taught him how to operate a motor vehicle, a 6-year-old boy in Wicomico Church, Virgina attempted to drive himself to school in his family's 2005 Ford Taurus after missing the bus.

He made it nearly six miles, making two 90-degree turns and swerving off the rural road numerous times, before he finally hit a utility pole about a mile and a half away from school, according to The Associated Press.

"He was very intent on getting to school," noted Northumberland County Sheriff Chuck Wilkins. "When he got out of the car, he started walking to school. He did not want to miss breakfast and PE." He later told police he learned to drive in video games.

The unnamed boy arrived at school after lunch, following a trip to the hospital for minor injuries, including a bump on his head. He presumably missed PE.

His parents have been charged with child endangerment, possible because the mother was asleep when the child grabbed the keys and began his ill-fated journey. The boy and his 4-year-old brother are currently in protective custody.

The mother, 26-year-old Jacqulyn Deana Waltman, is being held without bond. The father, 40-year-old David Eugene Dodson, deposited a $5,000 bond for his freedom.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56624 SOURCE

Hah, damn. Don't see why he needed to be taken into protective custody though... she was asleep. Not exactly negligence if all he had to do was catch the bus as far as she knew. But then there could be something else to it that hasn't been reported.

Anyway, at least you can't blame video games for slacking in school in this case. :D

that could happen to anyone, sucks for the parents.

then again, maybe your 6 year old shouldn't be playing gta

At least he was trying to get to school.

This fact will be glossed over because VIDEO GAEMS

Probably if he'd been given the chance he would have picked up a hooker and had relations with her and then curbstomped her to death.

****ing video games.

6 miles? That's some impressive hand-foot-eye coordination for a 6 year old. Well done, video games.

Last time I checked GTA doesn't show you pretty much anything sice the view is outside the car. So he probably knew some of the basics about driving a car from some other sources.

How could he see over the steering wheel/reach the gas/brake? Must be pretty tall, or be wearing tall shoes.

EDIT: ^Breakfast club, nub.

Not the poor ones.

Hell, at my school they got breakfast and lunch club. At breakfast there's cereal and milk/chocolate milk and all that - for free - and at lunch you get a free sandwich and a juice box. I must admit, the one time I did try the lunch club, the egg salad sandwedge was good.

Even if you did eat breakfast - it's free food, man.

I'm thinking you're Cell right now. I'm the other guy (who I believe to be Vegeta). You never bad mouth egg salad. I KEEL you.

Gohan_kills_Cell.gif

I'm thinking you're Cell right now. I'm the other guy (who I believe to be Vegeta). You never bad mouth egg salad. I KEEL you.
Egg salad is terrible. Also, that's Gohan. You're wrong TWICE.

to_crying.gif

No YOU'RE wrong! Egg Salad is awesome, in fact I'm going to go make some now.

As for the DBZ thing, I used to watch it like 8 years ago, so I'm not 100% on anything anymore.

I should start watching again.

Shit! He missed PE! D:

What kind of ****ed up parents let their 6 year old kid play gta? But shit, I agree, good job video games. 6 miles is impressive. I don't even know how he managed to reach the pedals.

Hah, damn. Don't see why he needed to be taken into protective custody though... she was asleep. Not exactly negligence if all he had to do was catch the bus as far as she knew. But then there could be something else to it that hasn't been reported.

Anyway, at least you can't blame video games for slacking in school in this case. :D

Because the parents are supposed to make sure their children get ready and get on the bus safely. Or at the very least, be supervising their 6 and 4 year old children, they didn't do either, and because of that the kid was able to steal their car and put himself and others in danger... In other words, negligence.

I have no idea if you're being sarcastic or not.

Lol, my bad. I have brain farts like that some times where I think one thing but type another. Post fixed. I meant GTA, not video games.

Charged with negligence, because apparently humans don't require sleep.

GG, moron authority, GG.

GG, moron authority, GG.

Sooo a 6-year-old should is supposed to be responsible for getting himself to school? No. How about mom gets her lazy ass out of bed and makes sure the kid makes it to the bus stop, or drives him to school if he misses it. Also, good job letting your 6 year old play a game rated MA. Nice parenting.

Impressive. No way GTA taught him to drive. Impressive though. But why the hell would a parent allow their 6 year old child to play an 18s-rated game?

What a freak. Pretty skillful freak though. I meand, how did he even reach the pedals?

Aside from impressive 6 year old driving skills I note that there is a 14 year age gap between the mom and the dads. Good going Dads is all I can say ;)

Kids have breakfast at school now?

Um most public schools serve breakfast.

who the hell has time to eat breakfast when you gotta wake up at 5:30 to catch a bus that comes at 6, ride it for an hour when it gets to school at 7 then you got 20-30 mins before the bell rings.

Taking the bus sucks ass for a little kid. And if you miss it you're ****ed, especially if you have a dick driver who never arrives at the specified time (too early or too late, sometimes not at all. And if it comes late you dont know if you missed it or not so you just wait for a long time)

I remember one time in 5th grade the bus NEVER EVEN CAME. I had my mom call the bus barn from work and the driver called off and they forgot to send another one. All the kids from my route were absent from school that day lol

GG, moron authority, GG.

The father was under court order to NOT leave the son with the mother.

cant find the original article that stated so but it was on www.azcentral.com

He should consider himself lucky that he missed P.E.

I don't hate PE because of the exercise, I'm fit. But because we do the dumbest things and also it is filled with a shitload of douche bags. I'm glad that my last day of gym in my entire high school career is on Tuesday.

USA is a very unlikeable country. Well, it does have it's charms. I loved Wyoming for whatever reason.

Yeah lets blame video games and not the fact that his parents let him play an R18 game. -_-

Back